Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
My 3 year old fed the fish - oops

trying1

Post Tue, Dec 03 2013, 8:40 am
so now what should I do? He put in quite a bit of fish flakes - but I can't work out whether to clean out the tank properly, taking the fish out etc, or just daven for the best. Any advice please?

Post Tue, Dec 03 2013, 8:42 am
trying1 wrote:
so now what should I do? He put in quite a bit of fish flakes - but I can't work out whether to clean out the tank properly, taking the fish out etc, or just daven for the best. Any advice please?

Clean out the tank.

Liba

Post Tue, Dec 03 2013, 8:46 am
Clean the fish tank. Fish will overeat and the water will get gross.

trying1

Post Tue, Dec 03 2013, 8:53 am
how shall I clean it? Take the fish out and put them in a bucket? step by step details anyone?!

Liba

Post Tue, Dec 03 2013, 8:57 am
Usually fish tank cleaning here means filling bottles and letting them off gas the chlorine overnight, then using a gravel syphon and stirring the water and syphoning out some of the dirty water from the tank. The fish stay in the tank happily. This is an emergency though.

Can you take the fish and some of the water from the tank and put them in a container and then clean out the tank, refill it with clean water wait a few hours and then return the fish?

Otherwise fill a container with water as close to room temperature as possible, wait an hour or so if the situation isn't horrible, don't wait if you think they will overeat and die right away, put the fish in, clean the tank, let the water off gas and come to room temperature and then put the fish back.

Dandelion1

Post Tue, Dec 03 2013, 9:33 am
What size is your tank? Do you have a bucket and rubber tubing? Siphon off about 30% of the water into the bucket, but make sure to use the tubing to vacuum around in the rocks to dislodge some of the gunk. Don't change more than that because you will completely disrupt the ecosystem and they will die. They are dependent upon the biological cycle in their tank.

trying1

Post Tue, Dec 03 2013, 5:29 pm
Thanks - I tried the gravel cleaning tubing thing... and took out about 35% of the water - and added fresh... hope they will be ok.
The fish food is now on a high shelf out of reach - thanks for your help

Dandelion1

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 8:01 pm
I am actually having trouble with my tank as well, it was very stable for a long time and then a few things changed and we ended up losing a lot of fish... kind of a longish story.... I wonder if there are any fish enthusiasts Very Happy here who would be interested in sharing advice.... maybe will try opening a thread on it....

aleza

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 8:33 pm
at least he didn't feed the fish... to the cat

sped

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 9:33 pm
Try reading him "A Fish Out of Water". My 3 yr old loves the story and each time he sees an animal bigger than he thinks it should be, he explains that it was fed too much...

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 9:50 pm
trying1 wrote:

this won't answer your question, but my father remembers when he was a boy and he and his brother 'fed' the fish with oatmeal. I guess they thought the fish food looked like oatmeal.

so of course, the oats expanded and killed the fish by cutting off the oxygen....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets