Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Looking for moroccan chickpea recipe and couscous recipe

rotterdam

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 9:35 am
Shalom,

I m looking for a recipe for morrocan sfardic chickpea salad recipe and a couscous recipe. Or any other easy sfardic recipes.

thank you

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 6:13 pm
Here's a chickpea salad recipe enough to serve 8-10 generously as a side or as one of salatim

2cup dried chickpeas, washed and soaked overnight
1/2 teasp turmeric
1 dash cumin
1 dash chili or harissa (optional)
2 tbsp olive oil (preferably virgin olive oil)
juice from 1 lemon (I like mine tart, reduce if you want it less sharp)

Soak chickpeas in SALTED water overnight. (Most beans should be soaked and cooked without salt to avoid hardening but chickpea is one exception to the rule). Change water, and cook with enough fresh water to cover and turmeric till they become soft but not mushy. I do it in a pressure cooker, which takes all but 12-14min vs close to 1hour in a stove top. Let cool and drain. (Don't drain water, use it for soup or cooking rice, it has lovely colour and flavor). Season chickpeas with the rest of the ingredients, check seasoning, you might need salt if you haven't added enough salt during soaking/cooking. Garnish with chopped parsley. Add a small bit of harissa--it really adds depth. Ideally let it marinate for a couple of hours or even overnight.

If you're using tinned chickpeas, just open the tin and drain, tip the content in a saucepan. Add 1/2cup water and turmeric and heat through.

As for couscous, look under my name. Basically you make chicken and vegetable soup (make sure you keep the veggies whole, not in pieces), sometimes you add meatballs. You serve the broth separately. As for the grain itself, pretty much easy--follow the instruction on the package. Though you'll get fluffier, lighter consistency if you add hot/boiling water first, let it absorb for 3-4min, then add 1tbsp oil and let it work through by hand and fluff up the grains.

PS I've noticed this is your first post. Welcome to imamother.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics