Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Getting published in frum magazines/newspapers

momfive

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 1:58 pm
Hi, everyone. So excited to discover this fantastic writing club! I have a question and I hope you wonderful ladies can help me. My articles are currently being published, but it am not getting paid. I knew that going in, I did it anyway to get my foot in the door, get some experience...How can I get to the next step? How do I go about getting my work published at other, paying, magazines?

allrgymama

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 4:14 pm
To the best of my knowledge, all three major publications pay (Binah, Ami and Mishpacha), although I guess it's possible that things change.

If you have would like to continue publishing in whichever magazines you're currently in, tell whoever it is you're dealing with that 'as I've already had x amount of published pieces, I believe I have the right to be paid for any future work. What can we work out?'

The last article I got paid for went at a rate of 10 cents a word.

momfive

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 5:38 pm
Thanks for the input. I know those three publications pay, it's just very hard to get submissions accepted. I would also love to have steady assignments rather than keep sending in stuff and going through the whole waiting game, but I know that's not for newbies.
Also, does anyone know the contact info for ami magazine for submissions?

Writergirl

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 5:49 pm
Writing for publication requires devotion and hard word. It can take time until the mags start accepting your work, but that's the only route to take.
Use every rejection to improve your work.

Ami submissions: submissions@amimagazine.org

G'luck!

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 11:22 pm
http://myparnasa.com/write-for.....ions/

(P.S. I got picked up for 2 magazines via imamother - they liked my writing style!)

momfive

Post Fri, Dec 06 2013, 12:44 pm
Mama bear, what's myparnassa.com?

Isramom8

Post Sat, Dec 07 2013, 12:54 pm
In my experience, there is no method or secret. You just have to submit each article or poem, which is considered on an individual basis. If it is professionally written, emotionally laden with a personal touch and supports the hashkafa of the magazine, it has a good chance of being accepted.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 12:30 am
It's an article someone wrote giving you tips to getting published, that's all.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 08 2013, 2:49 am
Just wanted to say that I wrote for quite a while for one of the top weekly magazines.
One day they found out I wasn't charedi...
The next day, suddenly they said thank you very much, but we are going to move on to something else.
Hmmmm.... coincidence, I really think not. Made me very sad!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club