Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Kasha Recipe?

QueenBee

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 7:28 pm
I bought a box of Wolff's Kasha (medium granulation) and I don't know what to do with it. DH is convinced he doesn't like it, but I think that he feels that way from his years in Yeshiva. I think that I'll be able to find a recipe that he likes. I know it's very healthy, and I'd like it to become a substitute for the regular rice/noodles/potatoes. Isn't there something with bowties? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

sarahd

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 6:20 am
Isn't there a recipe on the box?

I only use the coarse-size grains, but here's how I make it: Mix the kasha with a raw, beaten egg till all the kernels are coated. Fry and stir the kernels till the egg dries and the kernels separate. Pour in boiling water or chicken broth, cover tightly and steam. Serve with fried onions on top. (You can also just steam the kasha and serve with ketchup.)

Oh, and for kasha varnishkes, just boil up some bowtie pasta and toss with the kasha.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 6:38 am
Yep, what sarahd said... only I add salt and pepper and make it savory...yummy...

sarahd

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 6:41 am
Sorry, I left out the salt and pepper. Thanks, Kmelion.

QueenBee

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 5:11 pm
That's basically what the box said, thanks though! Wanted to know if the box recipe is tasty.

Any other ways to use Kasha besides for this one? Just wondering. Thanks.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 9:25 pm
if your husband doesn't like regular kasha, the recipe above won't be enough for him.
I've made a sweet kasha kugel - I posted the recipe in the shabbos shira thread.
A GREAT recipe I have is a salad with tuna and eggs....If you want, I can look it up for you. I think it's in the Best of the Heimishe I & II cookbook
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes