Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
What´s the trick to a high cheesecake that doesnt collapse ?

Dolly1

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 10:39 am
Can anybody help me? my cheesecakes always look gorgeous in the oven but once they cool off they really fall in and flop! So upset! can anybody please give me a GOOD recipe that always comes out perfect?

BabsB

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 11:43 am
It's not necessarily the recipe, but the cooking and cooling that keep it from collapsing.

You need to cook it on low heat very slowly, and then don't take it out of the oven until it is done cooling. I also cook mine in a water bath because I have better success with it. The Joy of Cooking has a really good explanation for the best ways to cook a cheesecake and not have it collapse.

Dolly1

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 12:36 pm
BabsB wrote:
It's not necessarily the recipe, but the cooking and cooling that keep it from collapsing.

You need to cook it on low heat very slowly, and then don't take it out of the oven until it is done cooling. I also cook mine in a water bath because I have better success with it. The Joy of Cooking has a really good explanation for the best ways to cook a cheesecake and not have it collapse.

Thanks! do u put the cheesecake inside a water bath when you bake it, or do you just put a water bath on the floor of the oven?

mom in france

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 2:33 pm
What works for me is I switch off the oven once its done and leave the cake in the oven for one hour.(so it cools off in the oven, gradually)

BZBEE

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 2:39 pm
They say to put the water underneath the cake rack. That will prevent it from cracking and falling.
I usually end up putting some sort of topping, so it doesn't really bother me if it does crack.
good luck!

BabsB

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 5:16 pm
Dolly1 wrote:
BabsB wrote:

Thanks! do u put the cheesecake inside a water bath when you bake it, or do you just put a water bath on the floor of the oven?

I physically put the whole pan into the water. So, because I use a springform I wrap foil around the bottom, and then that whole thing sits in about 1 1/2 inches of water in a big roasting pan (It's all I have that fits it!).

BabsB

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 5:17 pm
BZBEE wrote:
They say to put the water underneath the cake rack. That will prevent it from cracking and falling.
I usually end up putting some sort of topping, so it doesn't really bother me if it does crack.
good luck!

There are also special steaming stones you can get that are supposed to be good. I'm not that familiar with them but I here they are also really awesome for bread.

morah

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 5:22 pm
You need to bake it in a bath- stick the pan in a larger pan filled with water. This ensures that it cooks evenly. When done, don't take it out of the oven. Prop open the oven door and leave it that way for like an hour.

carmelita

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 10:55 pm
For a high fluffy cheesecake find a recipe that has you beat the egg whites separately and fold them in. Then leave it in the oven after you turn the oven off until it's cooled off like the other posters said. Dont open the door to peek!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins