Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
SAHM
Previous  1  2

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Feb 08 2007, 6:57 pm
MOM222 wrote:
imaonwheels which parasha is this in?
TIA
it's in Tehillim 128:3

Imaonwheels

Post Sat, Feb 10 2007, 9:22 pm
Eshet chayil IS about a working woman. That same Sarah Imenu who was always in the tent. The working women in the Torah did not drop the kids at daycare and go punch someone else's clock. I also make money but never was it at the expense of a child leaving the home before age 3. I consider teaching an exception because if a woman feels, together w/her dh, rav, mashpiah that she has the gift and feels a desire to teach then our girls need her. In the past there wass an extended family. Just last week I was talking to my dil how because she lives 15 min equidistant between us and her Mom I can watch the baby if she needs to go somewhere in the am and her Mom is available from 4 on. Her Mom works as all of her children are older and the last one just got married.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 8:05 am
in addition to the good sources quoted above, here:

Tehilim 45:13 "kol kevuda bas melech pnima" - the glory of the king's daughter is within
the reason a woman is exempt from time-bound mitzvos is because she is caring for her husband and children (which makes me wonder why working women are exempt)
you see in the curses in Bereishis that Adam's curse had to do with working to have bread and Chava's curses had to do with bearing and raising children
Mishnayos Kesubos 5:5 :

These are the melachos (jobs) that the woman does for her husband: grinding, baking bread, washing clothes, cooking, keeping her child clean, making his bed, and "making wool. (though if he is wealthy, maids can do much of the work)
a woman is called the "ikeres ha'bayis"

amother

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 8:10 am
Quote:
you see in the curses in Bereishis that Adam's curse had to do with working to have bread and Chava's curses had to do with bearing and raising children
Is one of the curses when the husband doesn't bring in the bread? Sad

shalhevet

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 8:14 am
Motek wrote:

the reason a woman is exempt from time-bound mitzvos is because she is caring for her husband and children (which makes me wonder why working women are exempt)

And when she is working, what is she doing if not helping her husband and children (financially)?
Apart from the fact that she needs to fit the rest of her husband/childcare into even less time.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 1:41 pm
shalhevet wrote:
And when she is working, what is she doing if not helping her husband and children (financially)?
Apart from the fact that she needs to fit the rest of her husband/childcare into even less time.

That doesn't answer my question. My question is, if she can be time-bound by a job with specific hours, why is she exempt from time-bound mitzvos?

but this is off-topic

MOM222

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 1:50 pm
Thanks Motek for the additional sources.

Does anyone else have any more?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics