Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
IS it too soon

amother

Post Thu, Feb 08 2007, 4:46 am
My son is really interested in sitting on the toilet. I don;t know if he is really ready to be trained. Is there such a thing as ready to be trained? I know people who train their children according to their own schedules. I would like him to be trained before his upsherin on L'ag B'Omer, but I don;t want to push him.

mannyzmom

Post Thu, Feb 08 2007, 1:33 pm
I dont know much about this yet bc havent gotten there yet but I saw the other day there was already a post about exact same question. u should do a search. most of the answers I saw said that its not too soon if the kid seems ready, in this moms situation the kid wanted to go to the b-room and didnt like being dirty. they were saying that each kid is ready at his own time and there isnt too soon. but sometimes if theyre not ready theyll regress. also shouldnt push him or force him to - only when hes ready.

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 08 2007, 1:36 pm
My kids were well trained by the time they hit 2.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 10:02 am
amother wrote:
My son is really interested in sitting on the toilet. I don;t know if he is really ready to be trained. Is there such a thing as ready to be trained? I know people who train their children according to their own schedules. I would like him to be trained before his upsherin on L'ag B'Omer, but I don;t want to push him.

Your son will be 3 years old in less than 3 months and you say he's "really interested" and you're wondering whether he's ready to be trained and don't want to push him?!

shalhevet

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 10:14 am
Motek wrote:
amother wrote:

Your son will be 3 years old in less than 3 months and you say he's "really interested" and you're wondering whether he's ready to be trained and don't want to push him?!

I'm with Motek 100%.

How are you pushing him if he is interested? He is training according to his own schedule. BTW this is all a cultural thing. In Israel, where chinuch is not a dirty word and mothers don't think their kids will be screwed up for life if they, perish the thought, teach them something that three psychologists haven't signed that their child is ready for, most children are using the toilet by 2-2.5.

Tefila

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 11:26 am
Quote:
most children are using the toilet by 2-2.5.

True. But that doesn't include in most cases the night time routine too u know Wink

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 5:57 pm
if he's interested, he's ready!
my son, who is 2.7, didn't tell us he was ready, but I let him walk around naked and had a potty nearby and he learned.
don't worry - just give it a try!

withhumor

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 8:50 pm
Show him what to use a potty for and then leave it in the kitchen and sure enough he’ll ask for it. I do it when my kids are 17 months, and by 19 months they’re usually trained. So they do make accidents a lot because they’re young, but the benefits outweigh the cleanups.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 9:48 pm
amother wrote:
of course if he is interested you should take him up on it. He's old enough, at 2 years and 9 months. In my circles we potty train at about 2. if a child of 2 years and 9 months is asking for the potty - then you gotta be crazy to force him to stay in diapers!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training