Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Visiting Brooklyn, Please help with advice!

Malka2222

Post Sat, Jan 04 2014, 9:24 pm
BH
I'm visiting NY with my mom for my 40th birthday! gasp! We are staying 10 minutes from Crown Heights. Please advise on your favorite restaurants in Brooklyn, breakfast, lunch and dinner. For dairy, we need cholov yisrael places, and for fleishig we need Lubavitch shechita. Also, where are the best places to shop? For kids? For adults? Any other ideas, like beautiful places to see?
I am overwhelmed by doing the research online! I need some insider guidance. So thankful for anyone taking the time to help us out!
TY!

chanasmom

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 2:19 am
Sounds like fun!
Get a bit more specific as to when you're going and what you're looking for, specifically with shopping. Also, if you will have kids with you, or if it's an adults only trip. Also, what's your budget, ballpark?
My one piece of advice, is, get to clothing stores at opening time, around 10 or 11, especially on the weekends. Otherwise, these Jewish stores tend to get crazy.
PM me if you have specific questions.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 5:17 am
If you are willing to spend on a nice restaurant I would suggest Basil (270 Kingston Ave, Brooklyn, New York 11213, dairy) and Pardes (497 Atlantic Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11217, meat). I had a really fun experience in both.

Malka2222

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 10:58 am
BH

Thank you both for your help! Yes I looked at Basil's menu online and I want to go! I also looked at Pardes and looks very original.

As for the trip, its just me and my mom. Kid free for three days. I don't know how I'll manage the peace and quiet Wink. I would like to buy the girls robes and Shabbes skirts/tops. Any suggestions? Ages 5-9. And my little boy some things too.

One more request, other than the obvious places like 770 and the Ohel, any museums or special inspirational places to visit anywhere in NYC?

Thanks again for your help. It's pure kindness. You don't know me and just took time to help. Much appreciated!!

momofqts

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 11:31 am
orchidea in boro park is great milchig option. they used to have lunch buffet, dont know if they still do.
not sure what kind of place youre looking for but there r lots of interesting museums in manhattan, maddame tussaudes, ripleys, skyride at empire state building.
not sure if ferrys are open this time of year but liberty island is nice.
wolf and lamb in brooklyn is nice fleishig restaurant.
ice cream house in williamsburg is fun.
crown heights maternity store has robes for all ages and there are tons of stores in bp.
most important, what a nice idea enjoy every minute!

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 1:02 pm
there's the children's museum on kingston & eastern parkway ...

http://www.jcm.museum/

syrima

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 7:02 pm
Another vote for Pardes and Basil!

You can find stores that sell robes and skirts for kids on Kingston Ave - that is the main shopping street in Crown Heights.

If you go into Manhattan, try the Tenement Museum. There is a pizza place (CY) close by.

Malka2222

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 10:31 pm
BH

Thank you for the tips! Ice cream house, yum, another milchig restaurant Orchidea yum, thank you. I think we'll eat our way through the trip. Very Happy

Yes, I know about the Childrens Museum, really special.

The Tenement House museum looks amazing. This is right up my alley! Thanks for the insider tip. I never heard of it before.

Thanks everyone!

rosenbal

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 10:58 pm
There is a lot more shopping in Flatbush and Boro Park compared to Crown Heights. Not vs NYorker so not the best person to ask but others here can help. More choices and therefore probably better prices. Flatbush much easier to park than BP.

Malka2222

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 6:33 am
What are the names of the main shopping streets in boro park? Flatbush?
Ty!

Beyla

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 6:41 am
I also found better shopping in BP than in CH. But everything is so expensive.

chaya35

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 7:00 am
Malka2222 wrote:
What are the names of the main shopping streets in boro park? Flatbush?
Ty!

Boro Park 13th Ave, 16th Ave. & 18th Ave.

Lady Bug

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 7:07 am
How will you be getting around?

The tenement museum is excellent, I suggest reserving tickets online in advance since they have a few tours at different times of the day and you want to be there for a tour that interests you the most.

You should do a one day tour of Manhattan - buy an all day pass on one of the double decker busses and get off at each stop. The tour bus brochure should include attractions at each stop, but you should probably check it out online before. You might enjoy shopping at the Chinese stands on Canal St, visit times square, Ripleys, Madame Tassaude, check out Bravo pizza on Broadway for lunch, visit the largest Macy's... I hope you have nice weather Smile

In BP: shopping on 13 Ave. For robes go into the Lingerie Shop on New Utrecht and 51. Lunch you can try Spoons or Bagels n Greens. While you're on 13, stop into Eichler's on 50. I don't know which fleishig place has Lubavich meat, but you can try Glatt ala carte, The Loft or China Glatt. I personally go for the restaurants in Flatbush though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics