Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Quick and easy Shabbos desserts?
1  2  3  4  Next

cranberry

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 3:15 pm
Dessert is not very big in my house. My kids would love it, but it's not important to dh and me, so it doesn't always happen. I tend to put it to last in my Shabbos cooking, and then run out of time. As my kids are getting older, though, I know they would appreciate it more. So I'd really like to start making dessert. But there's no way it's going to happen if it's not quick and easy.

The best recipes would be something I can give to either ds14 or dd12 and say, here, why don't you make this for Shabbos.

But, (except for Simcha baking) I won't buy margarine, pareve whip, or that type of completely processed food. I'm fine with using oil or sugar for Shabbos desserts, though.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Heyaaa

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 3:26 pm
Brownies with caramel sauce and strawberry sorbet.

I'm not sure how to make caramel sauce without margarine but I'm sure it can be done.

Strawberry sorbet is you boil simmer strawberries with water and sugar for a while until it reduces a lot. Put through a sieve. Mix in food processor to incorporate bubbles. Freeze. When it's frozen let it thaw a bit and put back in the food processor to add more bubbles. Freeze again.

spinkles

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 3:33 pm
Blondies (I.e. chocolate chip cookie bars) or brownies made with oil (you can take a margarine-based recipe and use 3/4 c. oil in lieu of 1 c. margarine). Fast, easy, & most people like them.

Or banana bread, pumpkin bread, applesauce bread, zucchini bread, etc. are also easy and good.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 3:35 pm
Can you bake a cake (or have your children do it) early in the week and freeze it? Most cakes can easily be made with oil rather than margarine, and they defrost pretty well.

If you don't want to have a whole cake available because your family will end up eating too much, you can divide the recipe up into smaller pans, and you will have enough dessert for more than just one shabbos.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 3:38 pm
apple betty pie
brownie bars
poached pears
baked apples
crinkle cookies
chocolate chip cookies (put some ice cream in between 2 cookies for a sandwith right before serving, roll the sides of sandwich in sprinkles)

cranberry

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 4:15 pm
Thanks everybody for your ideas. They all sound good. So basically, I can take any of these recipes that call for margarine and oil will work instead? I'm not a good baker, and didn't want to flop recipes week after week by trying to substitute.

Baking ahead and freezing doesn't work because I only have the small freezer on top of my refrigerator, and there's not usually much room available in it.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 4:19 pm
You can pretty much substitute oil for margarine in any cake or bar, but use a little less oil than what the recipe calls for because it's not quite a 1:1 substitution. Cookies are a little harder to substitute because oil-based cookies don't behave the same way. Try to find recipes that are tried and true rather than substituting yourself if you are nervous about it.

emunahmother

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 4:21 pm
I totally vote baked apples!
Simple easy and delicious!
Unless u really want a cake/cookie recipe

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 5:04 pm
cranberry wrote:
Thanks everybody for your ideas. They all sound good. So basically, I can take any of these recipes that call for margarine and oil will work instead? I'm not a good baker, and didn't want to flop recipes week after week by trying to substitute.

Baking ahead and freezing doesn't work because I only have the small freezer on top of my refrigerator, and there's not usually much room available in it.

try to find tried and true oil based recipes instead of just substituting

apple betty pie - in place of margarine, use some oil and some egg yolk
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....betty
or just use this crumb recipe (1/2 of the crumb recipe below will be enough for 2 apple bettys, and you will need to add more sugar as this recipe is intended for use with sugary pie fillings)
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....lling

brownie bars - perfect oil based recipe
http://www.cookkosher.com/inde.....mid=2

crinkle cookies - yummy and oil based
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....okies

chocolate chip cookies - best oil recipe
http://kosherfood.about.com/od.....l.htm

mochacoffee

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 5:12 pm
I posted this on a different thread. Really easy and fast.

I have this cherry cobbler recipe that for some reason is such a huge hit. It's a simple recipe and really easy to make, I think because the crumble part isn't too sweet it balances out nicely. In the hundreds of times I've made it, I've gotten hundreds of compliments.

If you want to change it up or need a larger amount double the crumble recipe and add a second can of fruit. Bake it in a 9x13. I've often made cherry/blueberry. It's pretty much foolproof too.

Cherry Cobbler

• 2 cups flour
• ¾ cups sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
• ½ cup of oil
• 1 egg

• 1 can cherry pie filling

Mix together all ingredients except cherry pie filling to make a crumble. Grease a pirex dish (8 or 9 inch) and pour half of crumble into the dish. Pat down the crumble to evenly distribute along the bottom of the dish. Pour the cherry pie filling on top of the crumble. Pour the remaining crumble on top of the filling to cover. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes – 1 hour.

cranberry

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 6:50 pm
Thanks. This is really helpful. Now I have a selection of tried and true recipes to choose from each week. I just have to put in the effort and remember to do it Smile

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 8:05 pm
One of my favorite cake recipes!

Vegan Chocolate Cake

Step 1: Ingredients

Cake Ingredients

1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp distilled white or apple cider vinegar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In an 8X8 square pan/dish, mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt with a fork, making sure it is really blended together. Add the water, vanilla, oil, and vinegar, and again, mix together so that it's really blended together. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides if necessary.

Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Cool on a rack completely (2 hours).

thanks

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 10:06 pm
Pudding - Soy milk, instant pudding. I make chocolate and vanilla and serve it layered in a nice cup.
You can also add hazelnut or almond flavor to the chocolate pudding.

Simple enough?

sped

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 10:52 pm
Homemade apple sauce - can add in oter seasonal fruit
canned pineapple with craizins, ground coconut and sugared pecans for decoration. (Can also mix in canned mandarin oranges)
Fruit salad - can be made on Shabbos
Baked apples is really easy and simple to prepare. I core the apples, fill the core with raisins or craizins and chopped nuts (if no little kids will be eating them), place in a pan and pour on some honey and/or white wine. Easy, quick and delicious.

Sanguine

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 12:53 am
This is our favorite and my favorite and it fits exactly what you're looking for

Jello with chocolate chips

Explanation - It tastes like just those Jova jell rings which I love (but can't get here)

I put it in little bowls - The first time I made it my kids were little and I told them I had counted exactly how many chocolate chips each got (they actually believed me and that saved us from "he got more chips" fights) - I like just a little chips but my kids make it with what I think is too much

It's the simplest dessert and it's light eating and the kids (and me) love it

We get 5-7 little bowls from a package. Just put the chocolate chips in the bowls and then pour the hot jello out of the measuring cup where you mix it

Perfect for your kids to make

Some of my kids like it frozen so I freeze some

I've served it to company too - everyone likes it

Good dessert after heavy meal like the seder (if you think you need dessert), Purim seuda (if you think you need dessert)

Like they say "There's always room for Jello" Very Happy

sarahd

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 2:01 am
Does it really taste like jelly rings?! I loooove jelly rings and they're not available here. I would be thrilled to have a substitute.

OP - you can make apple crisp or crumble. Make the crisp in advance - make a double or triple recipe and freeze in portions. On erev Shabbos, have your kids peel and slice the apples, cover with crisp/crumble and bake.

Sanguine

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 3:04 am
sarahd wrote:
Does it really taste like jelly rings?! I loooove jelly rings and they're not available here. I would be thrilled to have a substitute.

I think it does but I don't know when the last time I really had a jelly ring was. Try to get raspberry jello and don't overdue the chips

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 3:34 am
Heyaaa wrote:
Brownies with caramel sauce and strawberry sorbet.

I'm not sure how to make caramel sauce without margarine but I'm sure it can be done.

Strawberry sorbet is you boil simmer strawberries with water and sugar for a while until it reduces a lot. Put through a sieve. Mix in food processor to incorporate bubbles. Freeze. When it's frozen let it thaw a bit and put back in the food processor to add more bubbles. Freeze again.

No offense, but none of this sounds quick at all...except maybe the brownie part - plain brownies. Or if you need a topping, mix peanut butter and melted choc chips in the microwave. That's quick.

The strawberry sorbet I make is frozen strawberries and frozen apple juice concentrate blended together ONCE in the food processor. Zehu. And I get compliments all the time on it. The taste and consistency is just like the sorbet you buy. Thick, creamy, very red, smooth, sweet.

etky

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 3:46 am
sarahd wrote:

OP - you can make apple crisp or crumble. Make the crisp in advance - make a double or triple recipe and freeze in portions. On erev Shabbos, have your kids peel and slice the apples, cover with crisp/crumble and bake.

That's what I do with the topping. It is so convenient to have it on hand in the freezer. Also goes on top of cake for a quick coffee crumb cake and also good for sweet potato pie.

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 4:50 am
Keep cookie dough in the freezer, either rolled up in a log in parchment paper for an easy slice and bake option or in pre-made balls. Just pop them in the oven and give them an extra minute or 2 for baking. Yum...fresh cookies on erev Shabbos!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics