Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
After School Management
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 7:01 pm
How do you do it? Especially those of you with children of varying ages. How do you get homework done with the oldest ones? keep young ones occupied. Give baths/ showers while making sure everyone is tznius (not walking around after baths) put everyone to bed? Do you have a system? is it chaotic? Do you have help? Any advise please!!!!

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 7:06 pm
oh I could use tips also!!

I end up making all three sit on the floor... so I can go back and forth

yoyosma

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 7:07 pm
From 4:30 until 7 PM I often feel like my head will explode. You just have to breathe breathe breathe and know that sometimes you will lose control. Congratulate yourself a lot on the days that you do well.

red sea

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 7:20 pm
yoyosma wrote:
From 4:30 until 7 PM I often feel like my head will explode.

LOL thank you for putting that so well, and I hereby dub anyone who never has any of those days "the ultimate superwoman" Exclamation

gryp

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 8:34 pm
red sea, I think that any woman who does that for one day and then comes back the next day for more of it, should be dubbed "superwoman."
Smile

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 2:31 am
It was not a big deal by me even when I was alone. I'll give my tips.

Lunch must be done when the 1st gets home and you should have a microwave. Dish it out for those coming. If its cold pop the plate in the micro.
Feed the 1st gang. These are usually gan or 1-2 grade, right? Lunch should be your easiest meal w/the least cooking. Put salad and other cold food in tupperware so each time someone comes you or they can take it from the fridge. This group has little or no homework. If a school child comes w/homework everyone does homework. Toddler and gan get a piece of paper and crayons and Mom sits next to young school child in case they need help. If you don't take a nap then after homework you need some quiet play time. Usually little ones are tired and not really ready for a run around the block.

After that usually comes older girls, they help. After you hear about their day and give them their lunch they can go to their room to do homework. I am available for help only if necessary for homework from 3rd grade and up. Afterwards they can give Mommy a half hour to rest before older boys come in.

In cheder/yeshiva boys seldom have homework after 3-4 grade. They need to have the same meal taken out, heated if necessary and served. Right now you are hearing about their day. They can review their Gemoras alone or with dh or someone at shul, like their friend.

Dinner for us is the family meal. We try to eat it together, making 9 pm. When they were little I made it for them to be finished by 7pm. Baths are last. This was easy because dh did the middle age (having boys). I did from birth till around 3.

BTW, by us most cases males are not allowed to shower here now that they are older. That is what we have a subscription to the mik for, The tub is mine.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 2:55 am
imaonwheels it looks like the schedules in Israel and america are hugely different. My kids don't come home for lunch. They have it in school, cheder, Yeshiva. The gan kids came home at 3:00, the girl's gan was home at 4:00.

Boys do get homework after 3rd grade here, but this year my fourth grader's teacher seems to be influenced by the Israeli style Confused Only chazzering, no homework sheets.

My (older) sons shower at the mikvah too. Smile

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 12:36 pm
At Toras Emes my son in cheder got hot lunch. If the parent wants and of course everyone wants all you can eat for 120 sh/mo. He was in 8th grade and they finished at 6:15.

Here the scedule is:

Maon - 1:15 or 3:15 depending on what you sign up for
gan - 1:20 sharp or dirty looks
School girls - 1 & 2 grade 1:20 after that differing day lengths according to schedule, hardly ever later than 2 or 3.

Cheder boys 1&2 1:30 or 2
3-4 @3:30
5th - yeshiva ketana @6

Many chedorim in BB and Yerushalayim boys go home at 12 to eat and go back at 2 after a rest. In Immanuel that is also the schedule. Here a cheder can only provide a hot meal if its a big school. Girls never get a hot meal.

gryp

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 12:44 pm
Imaonwheels, it's easier to deal with kids coming home at staggered times, then everyone coming home at once. Wink everyone needs attention, everyone's hungry for supper, everyone needs their homework done, baths and bedtimes.

I have 2 at home with me during the day and only 1 in school until 2, and sometimes I think my house can't be anymore hectic.

shayna82

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 12:47 pm
thats exactly what ill have iyh. my oldest will be in school till 2 and then the 2 year old and newborn iyh home all day... I might send #2 to school, but im not sure it iwll be worth it cuz he will have to be picked up at 12, then pick up at 2... just seems too nuts, unless I get a carpool together.

gryp

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 12:53 pm
how old will your youngest now be IYH when you give birth? mine was 16 months (2 months ago).
I also can't stand the back and forth dropoffs and pickups. it's easier to just keep them at home. it's not fun getting a 2 month old and 18 month old bundled up to go outside, and coming back home and getting everyone back inside just drains me of energy.

shayna82

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 12:58 pm
my youngest will iyh be 26 months when the baby comes g-d willing. I only sent my oldest to school this year when he was 3, I thought it was a perfect time. my youngest seems to love kids more and would do fine... the getting coats on, waking up baby thing seems so crazy to me I dont know how anyone does it.

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 1:46 pm
GR wrote:
Imaonwheels, it's easier to deal with kids coming home at staggered times, then everyone coming home at once. Wink everyone needs attention, everyone's hungry for supper, everyone needs their homework done, baths and bedtimes.

I have 2 at home with me during the day and only 1 in school until 2, and sometimes I think my house can't be anymore hectic.

When dd was in 2nd grade she picked up 3 brothers from gan and brought them home. Everybody at once. Life had to stop but they were home at 2.

gryp

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 1:52 pm
shayna- my oldest was that age when my second was born.

Quote:
When dd was in 2nd grade she picked up 3 brothers from gan and brought them home. Everybody at once. Life had to stop but they were home at 2.

wow. I think I like it better when kids come home earlier from school, like in Israel. you actually have a few hours to spend with them, instead of getting straight into the supper>homework>baths>bed routine.

Tefila

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 5:06 pm
Quote:
wow. I think I like it better when kids come home earlier from school, like in Israel. you actually have a few hours to spend with them, instead of getting straight into the supper>homework>baths>bed routine.

What do you mean gr, what time does your kid come home?

leahj

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 8:05 pm
The idea of all sitting at the table 2nd grade and under to do homework sounds good in theory... My oldest is in first grade and cannot consentrate with the 5 year old asking him questions, or for help drawing. The 3 year old takes his pencil, the two year old is running around the kitchen with trains, and the baby needs to be fed......

shayna82

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 8:24 pm
GR wrote:
shayna- my oldest was that age when my second was born.

really? so, did you feel your eldest was a help, and that it wasnt two babies?

myo ldest was 21 months when the second was born, im trying to see how 21 months and 26 months is different.

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 8:36 pm
GR wrote:
how old will your youngest now be IYH when you give birth? mine was 16 months (2 months ago).
I also can't stand the back and forth dropoffs and pickups. it's easier to just keep them at home. it's not fun getting a 2 month old and 18 month old bundled up to go outside, and coming back home and getting everyone back inside just drains me of energy.

thats why I kept my 2 year old home witht me this year. IYH next year they will be in the same school. smae pick up and drop off times. Yippeee
I can't wait to be home alone with one baby!!!!!

OP I don't have adivce to you. All I try to do is have something to eat and dirnk for my son for he comes home.

Tefila

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 8:36 pm
Shayna it is a huge difference every month they are able to do so much more.
Also once you have another you automatically look at the older one as your teeny tiny helper. And they love it providing they too get the attention and priviliges that they so rightfully deserve Wink

gryp

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 9:09 pm
Tefila wrote:
Quote:

What do you mean gr, what time does your kid come home?

he comes home now at 2-2:30, bit in 2 years will start coming home at 4 including Sundays.
I remember the days when I would come home from school the same time as 5 or 6 other siblings, and how calm my house was. I wonder if I can ever replicate that.

Quote:
really? so, did you feel your eldest was a help, and that it wasnt two babies

not really, shayna. but I think this depends more on the personality of the child and not necessarily the age. also my oldest at 26 months was used to being the only one around and didnt understand why he couldnt crawl on my lap while I was nursing- he had no concept of what another baby in the family meant. yours at 26 months IYH is the second so he has the advantage already of knowing what it means to have a sibling. in the end my 26 month old dealt with it very well once he got a hang of what was happening. on his own accord he took out his clown doll and took care of it whenever I had to take care of the baby.
it really helped that whenever the new baby was napping, instead of relaxing I did a special one-on-one activity with my toddler.
but I do find that my 16 month old was much more easygoing about a new member in the family, because he was second and there never was a time that he was an only child.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics