Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Need a crash course on jewelry shopping

amother

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 5:43 am
I decided to trade in some of my unused jewelry and purchase a new necklace or bracelet in exchange. I went to a store today and they offered me over 5000 shekels for it if I use it toward a new item or else a few hundred less for cash. I asked him to show me what he has in necklaces and bracelets, and as soon as he did, my head started spinning because I'm totally and completely clueless when it comes to fashion. I left with my old jewelry and told him I'd be back.

Afterwards, I realized that I'll be going to America soon for a friend's wedding and maybe it pays to buy something there and just take cash from the guy. Or maybe I should take the old jewelry with me to America and trade it in there, though I'm somewhat reluctant to do that because I might not have enough time and would like to have it before the wedding.

So here are my questions:

1. Where is it better to sell gold, here or in US?

2. Where is it cheaper to buy jewelry, here or in US?

3. Please give me some idea of what's in style now as far as necklaces and bracelets go. Give me links to different styles, etc. I'm looking for something for Shabbos and simchas, not everyday.

Thanks!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 6:02 am
A broker can tell you the current gold prices, and don't forget you'll have to factor in the cost of currency exchange.

Jewelry in the US is generally cheaper, just because we're a bigger country and there's more of it to go around. Competition keeps the prices lower.

Forget fashion. Buy something that you fall in love with. If it makes you happy, then the smile on your face will automatically make it fashionable. No one can tell you what to buy, you'll know it when you see it.

A few things to keep in mind. Are you a yellow gold, or a white gold person? For stones, what color clothing do you wear the most often? What is your favorite color, and what is your birthstone? Once you answer those questions, you'll have things narrowed down quite a bit. You can never go wrong with diamonds, but remember that they depreciate about as fast as a new car. Buy from a second hand shop if you can, you'll get more for your money. Even pawn shops are certainly worth taking a look around.

Whatever you do, DON'T feel like you have to make a decision in a hurry. If you just can't make up your mind, then you haven't found the right piece for you yet. For most women, jewelry is an emotional purchase, and you don't want to feel rushed into buying something that you won't like.

Hope that helps!

DrMom

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 6:24 am
1. I don't know; I never tried.

2. Gold jewelry is more expensive in Israel.

3. Buy what you like. Go to stores and look around without buying anything first. Look at photos online. Look at jewelry websites, or even the jewelry department websites for Macy's/Neiman Marcus/Nordstrom/etc. See what appeals to you. In Israel, drop by a fancy hotel lobby and look at the H.Stern store's offerings (<-- they are very pricey, but they are used to people "just looking"). Or go to a mall and look at the local chain stores (Royalty Jewelry has some nice things, but also lots of gaudy things, IMO). Miller Jewelry in the Azrieli Center has tasteful things too.

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 9:08 am
For real jewelry, buy something that you really like. You'll have it for a while, and you don't want something that you don't really like, just because it's in style now.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 1:09 pm
Thanks for the replies. Albert and Sons has a chart on their site saying how much they pay per ounces, so I'm going to weigh my stuff and do some number crunching later to see where I can get a better deal and then I'll make a decision.

I did go through Macy's and Neiman Marcus's jewelry sections and didn't really see anything at all that I particularly liked, but I'm hoping I will have better luck going to an actual store. (I'm not in the center of the country so I can't go to H. Stern or Miller.)

I will definitely buy something that I really love, but I am still interested in seeing what other people like, so if any of you care to share a link to something, just as an example, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

DrMom

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 1:13 pm
What style do you like? Classic, modern, funky and artistic, etc?

Do you prefer white gold or yellow gold?

Colored stones, diamonds? Polished stones or cut gems? Or no stones at all?

Large pieces or delicate pieces?

Something for everyday or shabbat/simchas?

Give us something more specific than "jewelry."

I'll start with a random item. How about this?
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/ma....._16_A

Liebs

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 1:24 pm
There are many competing stores in Lakewood and Brooklyn.

cbg

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 1:37 pm
Is there a Jewelry Exchange near you. This is a place where there are many jewelry booths in one very large place. Take a day and have fun. Go booth by booth and try everything on, just for fun. Take a friend along. This way you get a feel for the type of style you like. I don't usually like the jewelry in department stores. I feel many of their styles in good jewelry are out dated.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 1:41 pm
DrMom wrote:
What style do you like? Classic, modern, funky and artistic, etc?

Do you prefer white gold or yellow gold?

Colored stones, diamonds? Polished stones or cut gems? Or no stones at all?

Large pieces or delicate pieces?

Something for everyday or shabbat/simchas?

Give us something more specific than "jewelry."

I'll start with a random item. How about this?
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/ma....._16_A

Classic. I'm as conservative as they come.

I like both but prefer yellow gold simply because if I'm actually spending money for real gold, I don't want it to look like silver.

No opinion on stones as long as it's not too loud.

Delicate but not too thin because I'm not a small person.

Something for Shabbos/simchas.

I happen to love that piece, but the purple stone is maybe slightly too large for my taste. I'm not sure about the necklace, but I think the bracelet is otherwise really nice.

Thanks so much for your help.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 1:43 pm
Liebs wrote:
There are many competing stores in Lakewood and Brooklyn.
''

Thanks. Are you referring to places that will buy jewelry or only sell?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 1:44 pm
cbg wrote:
Is there a Jewelry Exchange near you. This is a place where there are many jewelry booths in one very large place. Take a day and have fun. Go booth by booth and try everything on, just for fun. Take a friend along. This way you get a feel for the type of style you like. I don't usually like the jewelry in department stores. I feel many of their styles in good jewelry are out dated.

Unfortunately, there is no such place near us, though that sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 1:52 pm
I always thought jewelry is less expensive in Israel. I never bought gold in the U.S. during our years there, I waited for our Israel visits. Maybe things have changed? I know that the price of gold is the price of gold, by weight. The question is how much you are being charged for craftsmanship, I guess.

Liebs

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 2:43 pm
amother wrote:
''

Thanks. Are you referring to places that will buy jewelry or only sell?

I was talking about selling. Not sure where to trade in. I know Gold Mine in Cedarhurst cashes in too and has nice stuff.
From my experience the JEwish stores have more my taste and much better prices. Especially Lakewood where it is so competetive. In Brooklyn also good stores and competative.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 7:40 pm
I go to the jewelry show in the Javits center - Coming up now beg of March. You must know someone in the business to get a badge, the selection is amazing you won't ever see in a store. Prices you can bargain some times. Or go to 47th street also stunning stuff

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 11:42 pm
Another thing I thought of, is look on Etsy. They have some really stunning professional artisan jewelers selling there. If you're not sure about ordering something online, send me the links and I'll look them over. I can tell you if they are legit or not, and if the prices are reasonable.

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 12:24 am
amother wrote:
Classic. I'm as conservative as they come.

I like both but prefer yellow gold simply because if I'm actually spending money for real gold, I don't want it to look like silver.

No opinion on stones as long as it's not too loud.

Delicate but not too thin because I'm not a small person.

Something for Shabbos/simchas.

I happen to love that piece, but the purple stone is maybe slightly too large for my taste. I'm not sure about the necklace, but I think the bracelet is otherwise really nice.

Thanks so much for your help.

How about any of these?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/bo.....1_5_C

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/ma....._10_D

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/ma.....1_8_D

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/ka....._21_A

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/ch....._21_C

amother

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 2:11 am
OP here. Thanks for all the tips. I won't be in the states anymore in March - oh well. I looked at Etsy but didn't find anything that was my taste.

DrMom, of all the items you linked to, I like the 2nd one the best, which just so happens to be the most expensive one! I guess I have expensive taste? LOL. In any case, looked at all of your links did help me to get a better idea of what type of jewelry I like. Thanks.

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 2:59 am
I just posted some random things from the catalog of one particular store to try to give you some ideas/starting points. I have no idea if those items are well-priced. If you find something you like, you could probably shop around to find similar items. Even Amazon has a decent jewelry selection, and good search and filter features so you can narrow down the selection. Just start looking around!

ChanaParnes

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 5:01 am
Good luck in your search of the perfect jewellery. You got a lot of helpful posts showing you what's in style these days.
However, it seems like you're more of a conservative/classic jewellery wearer.
Take a look at what's in style today, but also try finding out what's the most classic/long-term-looking.
Then just choose among and buy what you like best.
Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics