Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Here is chazara from R' Markowitz's lecture:

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 9:48 pm
I got to see part of a chinuch lecture tonight on Anash.com given by Rabbi Markowitz. I highly recommend it if it's put in archives.

some points he made:

1) very, very important, he said - enjoy your kids!

2) Today's kids know more than we learned in school but our parents' (he's in his 40's, I think) lives were their kids.

your kids should know you enjoy them, he (R' Markowitz) knows that his father's greatest pleasure was to sit around the table and shmooze with his kids

3) it's important for parents to have a vacation BUT it makes a big difference how it is presented to the kids. The kids should know that their parents are going on vacation in order to be refreshed so they can be good parents

4) when he flies and wonders how on earth the huge plane carries hundreds of passengers, when he sees the pilots who look professional he gets a feeling of confidence. This is even though he knows that in the pilots' personal lives they might very well act in a low manner; but as pilots they broadcast an air of professionalism. So too parents need to instill that kind of confidence in their children. Have rachmanos and don't expose your problems to your children.

5) a parent who potches his child for talking in shul when he himself talks, is not just a poor role model. He's simply not mentschlich. When he (R' Markowitz) slips and talks in shul, and his children are sitting with him, he says to them - oy, I have to improve ...

Ozmom

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 9:57 pm
sounds good
Quote:

So too parents need to instill that kind of confidence in their children. Have rachmanos and don't expose your problems to your children.

mind elaborating on that one?
what is meant by problems?
is there anything wrong with admitting to a child if we have a failing in a certain area and are working on it?
like lets say if I have to remind a child to do or not to do something and I tell the child, this is something mummy has to work on as well.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 10:32 pm
Could you let us know when the next one is on?

Ozmom

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 10:40 pm
hey is tefila around.
tefila could you copy and paste my question under your username please Rolling Eyes

su7kids

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 11:32 pm
Ozmom wrote:
sounds good
Quote:

So too parents need to instill that kind of confidence in their children. Have rachmanos and don't expose your problems to your children.

mind elaborating on that one?
what is meant by problems?
is there anything wrong with admitting to a child if we have a failing in a certain area and are working on it?
like lets say if I have to remind a child to do or not to do something and I tell the child, this is something mummy has to work on as well.

It appeared to me that he was saying, like don't let your kids know you have financial problems, and things like that, or let them hear you argue in front of them. It does scar the children.

Ozmom

Post Sun, Feb 18 2007, 11:37 pm
oh ok
makes sense
thanks mo...oh I mean su7kids

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 11:07 am
I have heard him speak before. He's very European. I found he did not help with my own kids' situation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics