Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Hamin!!!

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 1:52 pm
It's getting cold, damp, perfect hamin weather. Please feel free to share your favourite recipe/ingredients.

chicken/beef? both, meatloaf?

barley/rice/wheatberries?

chickpeas/kidney beans/navy beans?

sweet potatoes?

eggs?

soupy or thick?

served separate course/served as the main?

what do you serve it with? harissa, hilbeh?

masalapeanuts

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 6:11 pm
I don't make hamin but I make dafina nearly every shabbos! This is my favorite recipe:

http://is-that-my-bureka.blogs......html

I don't do the eggs.

Double the wheat berries! Yum!

Chickpeas all the way. Delicious.

We are vegetarian but it's delicious anyway! I add extra veggies to make up for it. Yes to sweet potatoes, carrots, and whatever other root vegetables I have sitting around (parsnips, turnips, rutabagas).

A little soupy so we can add the rice and wheat berries in to get whatever thickness we want.

Always with hot sauce. I've never made harissa or hilbeh. Do you have a good recipe for either of them? I am not mizrachi or sephardic. I hate cooking but I adore eating, so I try out all sorts of different recipes in an efforts to make cooking more fun and to please the love-to-eat part of me.

I would appreciate a recipe for hamin if you have one you love! I can't believe this post hasn't gotten any responses. I am excited just thinking about this food!

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 4:53 pm
Harissa--I buy the French ones in a jar. I like it because it's garlickey. Or I use zchug from Israel--somewhat more herby.

Hilbeh--make your own as no one sells it around here anymore.
You'll need 1 tbsp. fenugreek seeds (I prefer whole, but ground one should work), 1 bunch coriander leaves, 1-2 peeled garlic cloves, juice of 1 lemon, salt and zchug. Soak fenugreek seeds overnight in enough water to cover and more. Drain water the next day. The seeds would have swollen and collected jelly-ish substance (which you wan't to keep so don't rinse it away). In a blender/food processor, add all ingredients plus a few tbsp water and whizz till you get technically a green-ish goo. Add water if necessary. It should keep in a fridge for about 5days or so in a covered Tupperware. It's also good for dipping challot or pittah, supposed to be really healthy and good for nursing mothers.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 5:02 pm
As for hamin, I also like to make it parve so vegetarian can eat.

1 cup wheatberries
1 cup chickpeas
3 medium onions, peeled, top&tailed, chopped
3 dates
2 sweetpotatoes, scrubbed and hard ends trimmed
2 vegetarian burgers (soya/wheat protein based)
6 eggs
cumin, paprika (loads of them),

Soak wheatberries and chickpeas separately overnight (use salted water for chickpeas). Change water. I usually pre-cook chickpeas in equal amount of water for about 40min in a normal pot, or for about 5min in a pressure cooker, save cooking liquid. Sautee onions in about 2tbsp oil, a pinch of cumin (whole), salt and pepper, till they turn brown and nearly caramelized. Cut sweet potatoes in large-ish chunks (about 6 pieces per a large potato). Add wheatberries, chickpeas, potatoes and eggs, loads of paprika, cover with enough cooking liquid from chickpeas and water. Cook for 20min or so. Check seasoning and make sure there's enough water. Put dates, place vegetarian burgers (we like using tivali grilled quarterpounders) on top before sealing and placing on a plata.

masalapeanuts

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 5:17 pm
Thank you! I'm going to make the hamin and hilbeh this shabbat. I have a ton of whole fenugreek seeds in my kitchen. I swallow several tablespoons every day with water because I am nursing. I can't believe how much they help.

Do you make Sephardic or Mizrachi side dishes also? Do you mind letting me know what they are? I love trying new foods.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 2:42 pm
frumgirl wrote:
Do you make Sephardic or Mizrachi side dishes also? Do you mind letting me know what they are? I love trying new foods.

Hmmm my common gripe. There are no such thing as Sephardi or Mizrachi foods. Instead, you wil find Iraqi, Indian, Persian, Tunisian, Turkish, Greek, Syrian, Lebanese, Spanish & Portuguese, Yemenite, Italki, Burmese, Egyptian, Kurdish foods.

Anything in particular you're looking for in terms of ingredients? Salatim or dips or more like rice/pasta/beans kind of side dish? There are some pan-sephardi cookbook like the one by Claudia Roden or Gil Marks.

masalapeanuts

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 3:15 pm
I realize that they are all regional. I make a lot of Soviet food. It includes many countries and regions, but it's just easier to say Soviet food instead of pointing out that the plov from this part of Uzbekistan is different from the plov from that part, and then ask what type of plov my husband wants. I just choose my favorite. The thing is just that the category 'Soviet food' covers a larger geographic area so it's easier to offer a wider range of ingredients and foods instead of specifying Romanian or Georgian or Kazakh, because those foods are all quite different.

I didn't mean any offense; I just thought it might be similar! People from the USSR find it easier to say Soviet food when they are talking about food from any/all of the post-USSR countries so I didn't consider that it might be the wrong thing to say.

Anyway, I have a Burmese cookbook and I love it! Have you heard of Manjula's Kitchen? She has wonderful (north) Indian recipes, with a few northernized South Indian things thrown in there.

I think beans and dips and fried things are really our thing around here. I just thought that if you had a very favorite recipe from any of the regions you listed you might not mind sharing it. I am going to check out those cookbooks and look through the recipe forum here!

Mirabelle

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 3:49 pm
frumgirl wrote:
I realize that they are all regional. I make a lot of Soviet food. It includes many countries and regions, but it's just easier to say Soviet food instead of pointing out that the plov from this part of Uzbekistan is different from the plov from that part, and then ask what type of plov my husband wants. I just choose my favorite. The thing is just that the category 'Soviet food' covers a larger geographic area so it's easier to offer a wider range of ingredients and foods instead of specifying Romanian or Georgian or Kazakh, because those foods are all quite different.

I didn't mean any offense; I just thought it might be similar! People from the USSR find it easier to say Soviet food when they are talking about food from any/all of the post-USSR countries so I didn't consider that it might be the wrong thing to say.

Anyway, I have a Burmese cookbook and I love it! Have you heard of Manjula's Kitchen? She has wonderful (north) Indian recipes, with a few northernized South Indian things thrown in there.

I think beans and dips and fried things are really our thing around here. I just thought that if you had a very favorite recipe from any of the regions you listed you might not mind sharing it. I am going to check out those cookbooks and look through the recipe forum here!

Sorry to be nitpicky but Romania was never part of the USSR.
It was a Communist country but not under Russian rule.

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 4:01 pm
Mirabelle how could you beat me to it? LOL

masalapeanuts

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 4:02 pm
You're right. They were only occupied by Soviets for a period of time. That didn't stop sarmale and mamaliga from being eaten by Soviets when soldiers came back, though.

Mirabelle

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 4:08 pm
sequoia wrote:
Mirabelle how could you beat me to it? LOL

hahaha, I'm very protective of my Romanians.
I'm going to be back there in May and I can't wait!

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 4:25 pm
Mirabelle wrote:
hahaha, I'm very protective of my Romanians.
I'm going to be back there in May and I can't wait!

Cool!

My cousin lives in Sibiu -- great skiing.

etky

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 4:42 pm
Maybe just call it Eastern Bloc cooking then....

mha3484

Post Sat, Mar 08 2014, 8:41 pm
Thank you Mrs Bissli! I made a very similar cholent to the one you posted and it was a huge hit! I'm going to make it every week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics