Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Honor Society

amother

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 9:12 pm
Has anyone ever been part of their university's honor society? I've just been notified that I've been accepted. I applied to open up my career opportunities and options and to have connections. They are requiring for me to attend an induction ceremony with a reception, open wine bar, dinner and ceremony. The cost to attend is $65. Am I out of line to ask about whether they will be offering kosher options? I really don't have the money now, being that I'm finally in my last semester of school, and I really don't want to spend it. If it's between being part of the honor society or not I will spend it but I want to get something for it! It will be so awkward paying so much and not eating and enjoying with the rest of the attendees. What are your suggestions?

groisamomma

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 9:38 pm
Honor Society at the college level is not as important as it was at the high school level, when you were vying to get into a good college and needed an edge over everyone else. If you don't have the money, don't kill yourself to go. It also can't hurt to ask about kosher options, though if you don't have the money why bother going?

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 9:51 pm
I never went to the ceremony but still got the certificates. It does look good for potential employers.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 20 2014, 9:52 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Honor Society at the college level is not as important as it was at the high school level, when you were vying to get into a good college and needed an edge over everyone else. If you don't have the money, don't kill yourself to go. It also can't hurt to ask about kosher options, though if you don't have the money why bother going?

Thanks for taking the time to answer! Actually, for my particular field, it is a pretty big deal. I'm in a very competitive field and things like this give you an edge over others when it comes to landing a job position. I'm not asking if I should go, rather if it's appropriate to request kosher options. I'm in the NYC area so there is lots of awareness for religious needs and diversity, but I don't know if I'm pushing it here. If I were to ask and they were to tell me they couldn't accommodate me, I'm thinking of asking for a reduced fee to just attend without being able to partake of the food. Is that way too inappropriate? I pretty much will be attending, I guess I just don't want to shell out that money and not get anything out of it.

Part of me wishes it was on Friday night, as the many college events I have, so that I could just have a reason not to attend.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Feb 21 2014, 1:49 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to answer! Actually, for my particular field, it is a pretty big deal. I'm in a very competitive field and things like this give you an edge over others when it comes to landing a job position. I'm not asking if I should go, rather if it's appropriate to request kosher options. I'm in the NYC area so there is lots of awareness for religious needs and diversity, but I don't know if I'm pushing it here. If I were to ask and they were to tell me they couldn't accommodate me, I'm thinking of asking for a reduced fee to just attend without being able to partake of the food. Is that way too inappropriate? I pretty much will be attending, I guess I just don't want to shell out that money and not get anything out of it.

Part of me wishes it was on Friday night, as the many college events I have, so that I could just have a reason not to attend.

Okay, I must have misunderstood. If it is important in your particular field then I can see why you are going regardless (Friday night would have been good, though Very Happy). If as you say it's in the New York area and you will never see these people again after this then why not ask? I'm not sure if it's tacky to request a lower rate if they can't accommodate you...I guess it depends on how big an event it really is. If it's small and cozy then I'd push it, if it's a huge affair with lots of participants then I wouldn't want to stick out in this way.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 6:33 pm
I was on a dean's list in my post-graduate programme but don't remember having to pay for that.
Having said that, it probably did look good on my resume/CV.

Now I have a professional qualification that is considered well-respected in my area but to add that title after my name requires me to maintain annual membership. Thankfully my company pays for it but I would still pay for it even if they don't. The bottom line is it's perceived value.

If the ceremony calls for a sit-down meal, I would definitely ask for a kosher meal. But I probably won't push for it if it is canapé and wine reception--I would find it more problematic having to refuse a non-mevushal wine served in a non-kosher function.

a1mom

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 10:13 pm
I would just pose it as a question, " I keep kosher and was wondering if a kosher option is offered.", then go regardless of what they offer- these things are usually great oppertunities to network.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics