Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
BIG LIST of Sephardic salads!!

Capitalchick

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 7:40 pm
Ladies, I'd love to have one huge list of sephardic appetizer salads that I can glance at when I'm trying to decide what to make for Shabbat.
I have my 6-7 standard ones that my family makes, but I know I must be missing tons more. I just want ideas. You don't have to post a whole recipe, just a general description and I'll figure it out. I don't care what country...we all have something good to offer!! My recipes are Tunisian, although undoubtedly popular in other countries, too. I'll start. PLEASE add yours, too!

*Cooked tomato/pepper salad
*Fennel and vinaigrette salad
*Raw artichoke, turnip and harissa salad
*Cooked eggplant salad
*Roasted pepper salad
*Carrot, cumin and harissa salad
*Cooked zucchini salad (harissa and vinegar)

Ok, add yours!! THanks!

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 7:46 pm
Are you willing to post recipes too? I'm not Sephardi, but would love some of them!

Capitalchick

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 7:47 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
Are you willing to post recipes too? I'm not Sephardi, but would love some of them!

Which ones?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 7:50 pm
all of them Smile

blini

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 7:52 pm
Me too! Yummy, yummy.

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 7:53 pm
Thank you mummiedearest! Very Happy I would not have been so bold as to make such a huge request! But yes, all of them would be nice! When you have time, of course!

Capitalchick

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 7:54 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
all of them Smile

Oh dear...I was afraid of that...

Fennel salad: Slice up fennel into thin spears. Drizzle with olive oil, white vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss and serve.

Cooked zucchini salad: Sautee 3-4 zucchinis (chopped into 1 inch cubes), caraway seeds, and 2 onions (sliced) in olive oil until mostly soft (do not cover, as you don't want too much liquid). Once cooked, stir in garlic powder, salt, harissa and some white vinegar to taste. Serve cold.

Cooked tomato/pepper salad: Sautee LOTS of chopped tomatoes, garlic cloves, and red/green peppers (pieces should be large) on medium fire with a good amount of oil (not tons, but not just a splash either) until juices start running from the veggies and the juices are boiling. Lower flame to LOW and allow to simmer for SEVERAL HOURS until the veggies are seriously cooked down (cook down about 70%). Cool and serve....will keep for 1 week. (when I start this recipe, I usually have a medium-large soup pot full of tomatoes/peppers and it reduces to about 2-3 cups of salad).

That's a start!

Here's the thing with Sephardic cooking...You'll find a lot of us learned recipes from our mothers, grandmothers and great grandmothers, so many of us don't use measurements. We just go "a vue de l'oeil", as they say! (by the eye)

Last edited by Capitalchick on Wed, Feb 26 2014, 8:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 7:58 pm
Capitalchick wrote:

Fennel salad: Slice up fennel into thin spears. Drizzle with olive oil, white vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss and serve.

Cooked zucchini salad: Sautee zucchini and onion in olive oil until mostly soft (do not cover, as you don't want too much liquid). Once cooked, stir in garlic powder, salt, harissa and some white vinegar to taste. Serve cold.

Cooked tomato/pepper salad: Sautee LOTS of chopped tomatoes, garlic cloves, and red/green peppers (pieces should be large) on medium fire with a good amount of oil (not tons, but not just a splash either) until juices start running from the veggies and the juices are boiling. Lower flame to LOW and allow to simmer for SEVERAL HOURS until the veggies are seriously cooked down (cook down about 70%). Cool and serve....will keep for 1 week.

That's a start!

thanks for these. I intend to try them asap. I always look for new veggie recipes.

Capitalchick

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 8:03 pm
Ladies, I just found this....you might like it for all the recipes!
http://www.jewishfood-list.com......html

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 8:09 pm
thanks!

SS6099

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 9:46 pm
Capitalchick wrote:

Cooked zucchini salad: Sautee 3-4 zucchinis (chopped into 1 inch cubes), caraway seeds, and 2 onions (sliced) in olive oil until mostly soft (do not cover, as you don't want too much liquid). Once cooked, stir in garlic powder, salt, harissa and some white vinegar to taste. Serve cold.

Cooked tomato/pepper salad: Sautee LOTS of chopped tomatoes, garlic cloves, and red/green peppers (pieces should be large) on medium fire with a good amount of oil (not tons, but not just a splash either) until juices start running from the veggies and the juices are boiling. Lower flame to LOW and allow to simmer for SEVERAL HOURS until the veggies are seriously cooked down (cook down about 70%). Cool and serve....will keep for 1 week. (when I start this recipe, I usually have a medium-large soup pot full of tomatoes/peppers and it reduces to about 2-3 cups of salad).

That's a start!

Here's the thing with Sephardic cooking...You'll find a lot of us learned recipes from our mothers, grandmothers and great grandmothers, so many of us don't use measurements. We just go "a vue de l'oeil", as they say! (by the eye)

OMG- I LOVE sephardic foods!!!!
Thanks so much for sharing!!!!!! I sure will make these!

Lgold

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 10:23 pm
spicy carrot salad-grated carrots, lemon, olive oil, salt, pepper, (for spice add schug)

two tone pepper salad-green and red roasted peppers (skin removed after roasting) sliced, chopped garlic, lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper

beet salad -beets (boiled in salt water) sliced, chopped scallions/onions, lemon ,oil,salt

potato salad- boiled red potatoes cubed, boiled peas and carrots, boiled eggs, chopped pickels , mayo, salt, pepper

Lgold

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 10:28 pm
I forgot the cumin for these salads

spicy carrot salad

beet salad -beets

slevy36

Post Tue, Nov 24 2015, 11:32 am
some dips/salads:

Eggplant- fry or bake with oil, add lemon parsley salt and garlic- I make this one often its delicious!e

babganoush (israeli) bake in oven or in tinfoil on open flame- peel and strain water, add minced onion, salt, little lemon, and mayo OR add garlic, lots of lemon, oil

Bazargan (syrian) - fine bulgar win sweet sauce recipe

matbucha- cooked tomato dip

homeade chummus is also good!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics