Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Lasagna without ricotta, cottage cheese and
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 6:54 am
not a mac and cheese type. Basically I want a heavy cheese type, but they don't sell cottage cheese here and they seldom sell ricotta cheese. Is there some sort of recipe for lasagna that uses cream cheese that tastes good. I once made one with cream cheese and it wasn't good. I've also made with white sauce and fried onions and it was delicious, but my kids don't want that. Worse comes to worse, I'll make my own cheese. TIA

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 7:41 am
Sour cream? Feta?

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 7:42 am
How about mozzarella cheese?

CatLady

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 8:28 am
What about firm tofu, blended with salt, pepper and fresh basil and an egg or two?

acccdac

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 9:25 am
my dh doesnt like any of those cheeses. I once made lasagna for a mother who had a baby the way I make it for my family and I got a call on how good it was.

layer of sauce at the bottom of pan.
then....

noodles
sauce on noodles
mozzarella, powdered Parmesan, oregano
repeat

every so often I skip cheese in some layers because it's too cheesy or saucy

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 12:48 pm
CatLady wrote:
What about firm tofu, blended with salt, pepper and fresh basil and an egg or two?

I did this with some cream cheese and it was delicious!! Thank you. Smile

bubbebia

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 1:10 pm
You can also make lasagna with a white sauce and veggies that's really good too. A white sauce is equal amounts of butter/margarine/olive oil and flour mixed together after the fat is heated and cooked for a couple of minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste. Then milk or half and half (for a richer sauce) is added and heated, stirring almost constantly until thickened. Then you can add grated parmesan, salt and pepper and a bit of grated nutmeg. Layer noodles, thickly sliced mushrooms, peppers, onions, spinach, broccoli or whatever your heart desires with the sauce and a layer of mozzarella. Top with noodles and sauce and a layer of mozzarella and parmesan. Bake until bubble and browning on top. It's quite good.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 2:16 pm
I make a great vegetable lasagna. it is basically lasagna vegetables lasagna vegetables milk sauce lasagna milk sauce with grated cheese on top.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 3:48 pm
sour cream with a beaten egg yolk or in a pinch plain yogurt (not vanilla! only plain) can work well. The lasagna will be very creamy. Layer w sauce, top w shredded cheese, bake and enjoy!
oh, and send some this way please Very Happy

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 5:12 pm
I assume they don't sell farmer's cheese there either?
Which cheeses are available?
Glad to hear your lasagna with cream cheese came out good!

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 6:07 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I assume they don't sell farmer's cheese there either?
Which cheeses are available?
Glad to hear your lasagna with cream cheese came out good!

It wasn't the cream cheese, it was the tofu that made it good. I've done it with just cream cheese and it wasn't right. The tofu helped, not so cream cheesey.

When my ds saw me mixing the cheese he said he hopes I'm making blintzes because he likes that better than lasagna and he knows how hard it is to get ricotta. He thought that that's what it was. I could use the tofu/cream cheese for blintzes also, just make it sweet?

No farmer cheese either. We have plenty of harder types of cheese like mozzerala and a bunch others that I don't know the english names to. Also lately they've been having feta.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 6:14 pm
yo'ma wrote:
It wasn't the cream cheese, it was the tofu that made it good. I've done it with just cream cheese and it wasn't right. The tofu helped, not so cream cheesey.

When my ds saw me mixing the cheese he said he hopes I'm making blintzes because he likes that better than lasagna and he knows how hard it is to get ricotta. He thought that that's what it was. I could use the tofu/cream cheese for blintzes also, just make it sweet?

No farmer cheese either. We have plenty of harder types of cheese like mozzerala and a bunch others that I don't know the english names to. Also lately they've been having feta.
That sounds really good! I was actually going to suggest that you mix tofu with real cream cheese.
I definitely think you can make blintzes using the same with sugar, lemon (to cut the tofu taste), vanilla.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Sep 18 2018, 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Simple1

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 6:17 pm
This is not conventional lasagna but I do it and the family likes it. I put a mixture of shredded cheese and eggs and layer lasagna, cheese mixture and tomato sauce 2 or three times.

sky

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 6:46 pm
Thanks for all these ideas. I love lasagna but DH doesn't like any cheese that is "piecy" like ricotta, cottage cheese, farmer cheese, etc.
I'm tempted to try one of these, but not sure which one.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 8:10 pm
sky wrote:
Thanks for all these ideas. I love lasagna but DH doesn't like any cheese that is "piecy" like ricotta, cottage cheese, farmer cheese, etc.
I'm tempted to try one of these, but not sure which one.
Does he like spinach?
I would combine lots of shredded cheese, defrosted/squeezed/drained spinach, eggs, oregano... and use that as your cheese layer.
Leave out the piecey cheeses.

nameless

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 12:35 am
There's a recipe in Spice and Spirit (the purple cookbook) for cottage cheese that I am always tempted to try. If you have it, it may be worth a try.

boysrus

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 7:41 am
try using sour cream - it is very rich, but if you mix in 8 oz sour cream with a 29oz can of tomato sauce, then it is perfect.

sky

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 7:50 am
ra_mom wrote:
Does he like spinach?
I would combine lots of shredded cheese, defrosted/squeezed/drained spinach, eggs, oregano... and use that as your cheese layer.
Leave out the piecey cheeses.

NO spinach either. or oregano.
I would love that.
Maybe I could do that with onions and mushrooms.

bookie

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 7:01 am
Bumping this up. Dh doesn’t like any form of cheese. He wants me baking lasagna with marinara sauce and vegetables. I’m not one to wing things and need ideas of what to put in

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 11 2021, 7:19 am
bookie wrote:
Bumping this up. Dh doesn’t like any form of cheese. He wants me baking lasagna with marinara sauce and vegetables. I’m not one to wing things and need ideas of what to put in

Pareve sausage or meat substitute?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals