Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborns sleeping

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 3:23 pm
How do you put your newborns to sleep? I can never seem to get mine to sleep.
I feel so dumb asking this, aren't they just supposed to drop off on their own?

mommy24

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 3:38 pm
are you talking about a newborn?
usually after nursing a newborn would fall asleep on his own, also the swing and the bouncer are good places for them to fall asleep.
after a few months I would start putting the baby down for actual naps in the crib, but otherwise I always found that the babies fall asleep on their own after/during nursing.

mumof1

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 4:03 pm
most babies fall asleep after or during a nursing.
some need to be rocked to sleep.
what is most impo is to get into a routine, do the same things at the same times.
diaper change, nurse, bed.
or bath, pajamas, nurse and bed
you need to have a routine.
I found with ds once he got used to a routine it was a breeze.

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 4:59 pm
my "newborn" is already 3 weeks old and he and my others have never dropped off to sleep except after a bath. even while I'm still in the hospital I feel like I'm the only mother there with a baby who isn't sleeping.
dont you have to burp and change the baby after nursing? it doesn't wake him up?
I dont want to use a bouncer or swing to put him to sleep, I'm too scared he's going to want to be bounced and swung for the rest of his life to fall asleep.

su7kids

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 5:50 pm
Firstly, the awake babies seem to be smarter than others. But not smart enough to go to sleep!!!

Again, I suggest patting them to sleep. Sometimes they just like the warmth and comfort of body heat. Even in summer, some babies can be cold.

Does your baby wake up when you put him down or he just doesn't calm himself?

Maybe he just wants to be held a drop longer.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 11:22 pm
get the book the happiest baby on the block it works like a miracle!!!!!!!

dr pepper

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 11:33 pm
Um yeah, my newborn never slept and at 6 months old I'm still trying to figure out how to get her to sleep for naps. Some things that have worked from time to time:

Swing
Rocking in stroller
Rocking in a chair
Bouncing on my leg
Walking with her in a sling

I never understood newborns that slept, either.

Piper

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 12:24 am
This is a tough one. It depends on the baby. they are individual people you know...
With my first, it was tight swaddling and rocking. With the second, being with me. They are now 13 and 11, and sometimes it seems nothing has changed *bangs head*

gryp

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 9:11 am
well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Smile
right now I'm trying to just put him in the bassinet and letting him just try and drop off to sleep on his own. the past few days by the time he fell asleep, it was time to nurse again, so he was up within five minutes.
oh well, better luck next time.

avigayil

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 9:25 am
This can be hard. With dd, she can be a finicky baby. She needs someone to sleep next to her for awhile before I can walk away. DS needed some sleeping ques to get him into sleep mode, such as bath, music, feeding. Every baby is different. It can be frustrating initially though, but with lots of experimenting you find a way to get them to sleep.

sunnymom

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 4:14 pm
the worst is when you have to burp them after they finally fell asleep, and that wakes them up....!!!!

DenaLeah

Post Sun, Feb 11 2007, 11:06 pm
Our DD is 6.5 weeks. From the beginning we've swaddled (www.miracleblanket.com), then put her on her side across my knees for some rocking and "shushing". When her eyes start to close, she goes into the crib in a side sleeper wedge and I continue rocking her mattress and shushing until the eyes close completely.

We had her on a loose schedule from the very beginning where she woke, got her diaper changed, ate and then played until we saw the first yawn. Then it was swaddling and to sleep and the cycle started again.

I don't know whether it is due to this routine or a glorious gift from Hashem, but DD has slept 5-8 hours/night from birth. It probably won't last, but we're enjoying it very much for the time being!!!

Lovemylife

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 8:39 am
this is not the most conveniant suggestion, especially in the wintertime, unless you live in warm weather, like I do.

Just put your kid in the carriage and walk walk w alk until she falls asleep. cover the carriage so she doesn't get distracted by the surroundings and walk u ntil she f alls asleep and then leave her t here. DONT TRNSFER or she'll wake u p. its not w orth it.

or y ou can d rive her around in a car s eat, that also worked for u s.

both horribly inconveniant suggestions, b ut desperate times call for desperate measures!

happyone

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 9:06 am
nice name "lovemylife".

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 11:48 am
I've always put my newborns down sleepy but not asleep. I also used intermittant patting to help them if they don't drop right off. That way they learn to fall asleep on their own.

I also have put my last 2 babies asleep on their tummies - I don't necessarily recommend it for safety reasons but it worked wonders for us.

gryp

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 12:17 pm
my sil told me that right from birth she puts them down to sleep by themselves, and she never has to sleep-train them.
I tried that with my last two, and after doing that for a month or so, one day they decided no more, and it was over just like that.

I'm trying to be consistent with my 10 wk old, but at night I just fall asleep nursing him and that ruins it all.

Lovemylife

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 2:03 pm
Happyone - thank you and back at ya Wink

raizy

Post Mon, Feb 19 2007, 11:28 pm
I try anthing and anywhere is my motto. the swing rocking chair . bouncer. floor . in my HANDS . and off course in my bed with me and we both fall asleep together. if not for my hubby I would sleep like that all night. before I nod off I tell my hubby to take the baby and put him to bed. when we are both sleeping. and it works every single night.

I wonder when that will end. I have to give the baby a bottle in my bed every single night inmy bed. adn my baby is eleven months already.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics