Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to "tzinius-ize" a baby toy?
Previous  1  2

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 10:09 am
MommyLuv wrote:
Brooklyn, Defy, Greenfire and Shabbat:
Have you guys never heard of the concept of trying to surround your children with only kosher/ tznius toys?

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't feel that it's important to keep non-kosher/tznius toys from my children.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 10:12 am
brainstorm Idea you could make it a bath toy - then mermaid could swim

brooklyn

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 10:18 am
MommyLuv wrote:
Brooklyn, Defy, Greenfire and Shabbat:
Have you guys never heard of the concept of trying to surround your children with only kosher/ tznius toys?

That is all well and good, Don't buy non tznua stuff and try to change it to fit into your world. It it is not what you want, don't buy it. Better to teach your kids that you don't buy that because it is not tznua than to teach them that they should color over bare shoulders with a marker. There are enough nuts who spray paint over bus stop ads and who burn non tzniut clothing. We don't need more of them.

Hannah!

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 11:56 am
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 1:29 pm
Sure, Hannah, I see your point, but what is the value in buying my daughter a Barbie, especially when there are less sleazy-looking dolls on the market?

To teach her how NOT to dress?

Please. She'll see enough of the real world once we step outside the door, and when her non religious cousins come over to play dressed differently than she is. That's when I can teach her the differences between right and wrong, between what she does and what others may do.

In my home, I want my child to be exposed to as much holiness as possible.

Hannah!

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 2:55 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

miri123

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 5:37 pm
[quote=In my home, I want my child to be exposed to as much holiness as possible.[/quote]

Well said, better to prevent a burn than to have the best stuff to cure it.
I covered my dd Purim crown for the same reason, I used a matching permanent marker.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 6:22 pm
Quote:
Isn't she a mermaid? Why does she have to be tzanua? Aren't women allowed to see other women in bathing suits?

I am assuming that Mommastuff's husband also lives in that house.
Since we're at it, aren't the original mermaids totally naked from the waist up? What was Disney doing when he designed Ariel with a bra?

It is weird for me to hear people advocating bringing treifus into their home and ACTIVELY exposing kids to it so that they should learn that not everyone acts the way they do. Puh-leeeze!
Yes, they do get enough exposure from outside- like from the bus stop ads that weren't yet spray-painted.

Mommastuff

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 8:48 pm
thanks for the ideas. The present came from my PARENTS so they will most definately be looking for it when they come over. I'll have to be careful on how I do it.

Also, the chair is comfortably big (for my 1.5 year old) and the picture covers the whole back. The red hair is not the problem, as someone mentioned, but it's bright red & attracting. It's not turning me on! It's just hard to notice; and that brings your eyes to the cleavage. My husband echoed my idea to tziniusize it.
Now, to just find time to sew...

shanie5

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 10:08 pm
how about making a bunch of different tops for ariel, and then sew velcro to the tops and to the chair. then you can play 'dress up' w/ her and your parents will see the toy enhanced rather than defaced. you can go further w/ bows for the hair if you want to.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 10:11 pm
I find that parents are usually more understanding of their children's 'mehsugasim,' even if they disagree, than other people.

miri123

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 10:30 pm
GAMZu wrote:
I find that parents are usually more understanding of their children's 'mehsugasim,' even if they disagree, than other people.

It depends if they agree with your becoming religious.
If they are upset about it then other people are more understanding even if they are not religious.
PS. Hey this time quoting work ( new to this wonderful place)

GAMZu

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 11:39 pm
The velcro idea- cute!! But she'll be undressed most of the time anyway, then.

shanie5

Post Wed, Feb 14 2007, 11:52 pm
maybe, but if a child has a doll, they dress and undress the doll too. with the velcro idea, the child can keep the chair covered, and when she leaves in open, mom can just stick a new shirt on w/o having to fit little arms thru the sleeves. think of it, she can have shabbos clothing, pajamas, uniform......

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 8:21 am
I dont understand something here. ariel is a mermaid, she is NOT naked on top. I know I saw the little mermaid YEEEAAAARS ago so I dont remember if it was a bra or her hair, but her breasts were covered, so I dont see the problem?

you can tell you daughter that there is an imaginary creature that iis half a girl and half a fish and so once you tell her that it is a made up creature, she should realize (or tell her) that we obviously do not dress like her.

I have to echo the poster that said that her daughter (it was something like that, sorry I dont remebmer exactly) plays with barbie with the not tzanua clothing but she knows that we dont dress that way. I have to say the same. I remember playing with barbie when I was a little girl and all of the clothing was sleevless and my sister and I knew that that was clothing for a barbie, not for us jewish girls, we did not even think twice about it.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Feb 15 2007, 8:43 am
shabbat, everyone has their sensitivities. I'd never have an adult doll in the house to begin with.
Explaining WHY the girl in the picture is half naked doesn't make it more tznius or more appropriate to keep in the house.

mirikush

Post Thu, Feb 22 2007, 2:03 am
...it's a cartoon...what sort of person gets turned on by a cartoon. Obviously the person probably would not buy it herself but when it's a present from family.....well I have the same issues as my dd was just given a backpack for kinder covered in what I would consider to be barely dressed princesses but for the goyisher world quite normal. I tell her the women are not Jewish and that's why they dress that way even in a cartoon.
I remember playing with barbie also as a child and it had no affect on my dress sense.... I still remember having a 2 piece bathing suit at the age of 6 or 7 during the 'liberated' 70's and our father took my brother and I swimming at the beach and refused to put on my bikini top (it had these horrible ties that kept coming undone and it's not as though I had what to cover) After I went home (my parents are divorced) I insisted my mother buy a one piece so that I could be covered!
I think my daughter will be fine even with the untznius backpack. But if you're concerned make a slip cover and if the family askes why either tell a little fib!! and say it got stained or drawn on or if you can't bare the thought of a white lie say it's because you want to keep it clean....(probably still a lie when I think about it!)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics