Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Which oil for pesach cake?

mirror

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 3:00 pm
The stores have olive oil and cottonseed and grapeseed and walnut oil.

Can I use olive oil for cakes?

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 4:01 pm
I lke walnut oil for baking.

Pineapple

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 4:04 pm
I know people who use extra light olive oil

I like walnut or hazelnut

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 4:05 pm
the walnut oil is the best because the flavour goes best with baked goods

CherryBerry

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 4:06 pm
I use regular extra virgin olive oil, but you need to use a bit less oil than the recipe calls for to avoid having that oil taste.

it works for me.

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 7:23 pm
I also use EVOO because that is the only kind that is KLP wihout a KLP hechsher, and I have never found regular olive oil with a pesach hechsher. Sadly, EVOO has gotten so pricey I may have to start going for something else like grapeseed
. In any event, we have no problem with EVOO. A friend of mine said she dislikes the olive taste in cakes--she must have a more sensitive palate than I. I can't tell the diff between a cake baked with EVOO, one baked with plain olive oil or one baked with any other kind of oil.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 7:30 pm
I use the following (after suggestions here):
baking - hazelnut oil (I'm not familiar with the flavor of walnut oil)
general cooking; kugels, etc. - safflower oil
salads, sauteeing, etc. - extra light olive oil

chatouli

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 7:33 pm
I bake with grape seed or extra light olive oil.

Not cottonseed. I wish they'd just stop selling it. It's toxic.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 7:37 pm
Whats wrong with cottonseed oil? I only use that. We have nut allergies.
Can you bake with olive oil?

Pineapple

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 7:40 pm
amother wrote:
Whats wrong with cottonseed oil?

Personally I find everything tastes oily and upu have to use a lot more when frying/sauteeing

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 7:42 pm
Nut allergies here too. On Pesach I always use EVOO for all of my baking. In pesach "muffins" whose only ingredients are matzo meal,egg, oil and a bit of sugar, without any other masking flavor, it tastes a bit olive-oily, but fine. I can't taste it in any other of my baked goods. Many (most?) people consider cottonseed oil to be unhealthy so I do best to avoid it.

anotherima

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 8:34 pm
I think the cottonseed oil is high in polyunsaturated fats.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 9:48 pm
I use extra light olive oil for cake.

granolamom

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 10:17 pm
amother wrote:
Whats wrong with cottonseed oil? I only use that. We have nut allergies.
Can you bake with olive oil?

iirc, it may contain very high levels of pesticides because cotton farming is not regulated the same way as foods. also I think its higher in certain types of fats and may contain toxins. in addition, some people who are highly allergic to peanuts may react to cottonseed oil. and it tastes nasty.

I use safflower oil or walnut oil for klp baking, olive oil or walnut oil for salads and cooking. I do find that the walnut oil has a distinct flavor so its ok in brownies but not sponge cake. imo anyway, ymmv

chatouli

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 11:00 pm
Re: cottonseed oil. http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QA......html

Q: Is Cottonseed Oil Okay? Do you recommend the use of cottonseed oil in the diet?

A: Definitely not. As a matter of fact, in my book, Eight Weeks to Optimum Health, one of the first things I ask readers to do is to go through their pantry shelves and throw out anything made with cottonseed oil. I regard it as unhealthy because it is too high in saturated fat and too low in monounsaturated fat. What's more, cottonseed oil may contain natural toxins and probably has unacceptably high levels of pesticide residues (cotton is not classified as a food crop, and farmers use many agrichemicals when growing it). Be on the lookout for cottonseed oil in packaged foods and avoid products that contain it. Manufacturers like it because it's cheap, and products that say "may contain one or more of these oils" and list cottonseed, will almost certainly contain it.

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 12:22 am
I have used the "light tasting" or "extra light" olive oils for cakes and did not notice any taste from the oil. However you might notice it if it is a very light tasting cake (whereas in a chocolate cake, for example, I really wouldn't even worry). We have nut allergies so no hazelnut or walnut oil and I am scared silly of everyone else using them, I think I will adopt the chasidish minhag and just tell people "we don't mish" (lol). Last year I bought a small bottle of safflower oil for cakes but I used so little over Pesach that I think I won't even bother this year and will just go with light olive oil for everything.

nylon

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 10:31 am
I use safflower or grapeseed when I want no flavor from the oil, hazelnut if I want a nutty flavor (but I always check the oil first... one year I got oil that was just heavy and terrible), and olive only when I want an olive oil flavor, which I do not want in most cakes.

(Safflower is actually my year round oil, I like it a lot.)

Raisin

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 10:44 am
seeker wrote:
I have used the "light tasting" or "extra light" olive oils for cakes and did not notice any taste from the oil. However you might notice it if it is a very light tasting cake (whereas in a chocolate cake, for example, I really wouldn't even worry). We have nut allergies so no hazelnut or walnut oil and I am scared silly of everyone else using them, I think I will adopt the chasidish minhag and just tell people "we don't mish" (lol). Last year I bought a small bottle of safflower oil for cakes but I used so little over Pesach that I think I won't even bother this year and will just go with light olive oil for everything.

I use nut oil in baking and olive oil in everything else on pesach but I mark everything that I put nut oil in in case someone turns up with allergies.

spring13

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 12:36 pm
Grapeseed and safflower are the best subs for canola or soy - they're light and tasteless. Nut oils are good in baking but will have a stronger flavor. Extra virgin olive oil is generally too strong for baked goods unless its part of the original recipe - there are Italian olive oil cakes, for example.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics