Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Feeding Guinea Pig on Pesach

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 9:54 am
DD's pet guinea pig gets a food mix with stabilized vitamin C, that contains wheat....Not sure what to do instead for Pesach. Can he manage for a week on the hay, water, and fresh veggies (carrots, lettuce, etc..)? Should we try to give him some other form of vitamin C?

TIA.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 9:59 am
See the information on the cRc website at: http://www.crcweb.org/Passover.....4.pdf

The info you want is on the 2nd page of the file.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 10:03 am
Thank you OOTBubby. I put Alfalfa pellets onto my shopping list.

Need to find out what kind of vitamin C to give.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 10:04 am
I do not have any pets, but my friend does. She also takes in all of the neighbors' animals pesach: last year she had a neighbor's guinea pig.. All of her pets get chometz free food. The birds as well (which is something that has to be monitored because they are not allowed to eat the substitute for over a week: right after the zman motsi pesach she goes and buys the chometz bird food). You can always ask your vet as well.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 10:24 am
Guinea pigs can absolutely do great on a diet of hay and fresh fruits and veggies. Great sources of vitamin c include parsley, that's what I always supplemented with. They loved it. Here's a list of other vitamin c rich foods, scroll down: http://www.veterinarypartner.c.....=2750

Alfalfa isn't great for adult guinea pigs, unless they're pregnant. It's very rich. For a week it could be OK. But I would be wary of making it a main food as it has too much calcium and can cause bladder stones. Maybe a supplemental treat. Honestly I would skip the alfalfa and go with lots of hay and a variety of fresh fruits and veg.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 11:12 am
gp2.0 wrote:
Guinea pigs can absolutely do great on a diet of hay and fresh fruits and veggies. Great sources of vitamin c include parsley, that's what I always supplemented with. They loved it. Here's a list of other vitamin c rich foods, scroll down: http://www.veterinarypartner.c.....=2750

Alfalfa isn't great for adult guinea pigs, unless they're pregnant. It's very rich. For a week it could be OK. But I would be wary of making it a main food as it has too much calcium and can cause bladder stones. Maybe a supplemental treat. Honestly I would skip the alfalfa and go with lots of hay and a variety of fresh fruits and veg.

Thanks for posting. So, skip the afalfa and try parsley, etc....

I think I'll try some of this now, to see if he goes for it (he's quite the spoiled guinea...)

anon for this

Post Mon, Mar 31 2014, 12:10 pm
My daughter feeds her guinea pig oranges for vitamin C. I've also seen vitamin C drops at the pet store that are meant to be added to the water bottle.

He mostly eats pellets now, supplemented with timothy hay and some fruits/ veg. If we plan to feed him hay and fruits/ veg over pesach, is it a good idea to start transitioning him to this diet before pesach? Is there any concern about chometz mixed in with the hay sold at pet stores?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets