Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Shir hashirim

Ashrei

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 11:09 am
Are you supposed to say it erev Shabbos? Before or after you light?

ShirleyTemple

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 11:12 am
I say it after lighting. I wouldn't have time to say it before!

Ashrei

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 11:22 am
That's what I originally thought to do, but in my artscroll siddur, although it's listed after lighting, it says to read it erev Shabbos, and isn't it technically Shabbos after lighting, no longer erev Shabbos? This got me confused...

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 11:27 am
shir hashirim? I never heard of saying it.
I just light with bracha and then my dh does the prayers etc.

Ashrei

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 11:30 am
I think mostly sefardim do it. I heard rabbi Kanievsky said that's why the sefardim have less health issues-in the merit of saying this every week.

I would like to take it on, but would like to do it right. before or after candle lighting?

Pineapple

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 11:51 am
Never heard of doing it before

Beyla

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 12:01 pm
It's a sefaradi minhag. Don't think it's before shabbos cause they say it in shul before maariv.

ShirleyTemple

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 12:05 pm
Ashrei wrote:
That's what I originally thought to do, but in my artscroll siddur, although it's listed after lighting, it says to read it erev Shabbos, and isn't it technically Shabbos after lighting, no longer erev Shabbos? This got me confused...

It's in that order probably because the men say it before davening and it's not yet shabbos by them.

Ashrei

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 12:25 pm
I see. Do you think this is something I should ask a rav about? Otherwise I think I'll just say it after lighting.

mandr

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 12:42 pm
After candlelighting. I think it may still be Erev because candlelighting time is really 18 minutes before the shkiah so it's not yet technically the next day. But that's basically when everyone I know says it.

ShirleyTemple

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 12:44 pm
If you feel the need to ask, you can. But I just say it after lighting, given that my kids aren't jumping on me... My mother also says it after lighting and must women I know who say it, sat it then too.

Besides, can your see urself sitting down to say it BEFORE lighting? Cuz I can't! I'm happy to light on time as it is.

Ashrei

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 1:12 pm
Thanks for the clarity :-)

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 1:23 pm
When I go to shul Fri night I say it with the men before kabbalat shabbat even though I lit already and technically started shabbat. I'm sure it's fine Smile

Lady Bug

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 6:45 pm
Can you ask and let us know? I'm curious too.

I say it after candle lighting, before shkiah. I think it needs to be said before you are mekabel shabbos because in my siddur it says (loosely translated) "if one did not have time to say the complete shir hashirim before Shabbos, should say these 4 pesukim".

ShirleyTemple

Post Sat, Apr 05 2014, 10:20 pm
Lady Bug wrote:
Can you ask and let us know? I'm curious too.

I say it after candle lighting, before shkiah. I think it needs to be said before you are mekabel shabbos because in my siddur it says (loosely translated) "if one did not have time to say the complete shir hashirim before Shabbos, should say these 4 pesukim".

I'm pretty sure this applies to men only.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions