Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Child lives on Soya milk/Pesach problem!

amother

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 1:26 am
One of our kids is a special needs boy who is sensitive to dairy and literaly can go days with no food. Its a struggle to feed him. He wont eat fish or meat. Only eats wholewheat bread and although he gets skin reactions from dairy (which we avoid giving him) he wants hard cheese or cream cheese all the time. He may eat peanutbutter on bread. Its a real challenge for us. However because he can drink huge amounts of soya milk during the day, the paediatrician says its a bracha as he gets the protein, sugar, salt and whatever else is in it. Our big worry is Pesach. What in the world can we use to substitute this, chocky soya milk is his usual diet. I know its not healthy, please dont critisize, he is autistic and has always struggled with foods, usualy licking them first and then throwing it away. My question is for ideas to substitute choclate Soya milk during Pesach?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 1:30 am
Previous year I asked a shaila and was told.....I won't publicize it here...but definitely ask your local lor, one who KNOWS the halachos and understands your unique circumstances. You'd be surprised at what is actually allowed when it comes to a child who is allergic....(and other situations as well...)

miriam

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 2:07 am
We tried making almond milk one year. It didn't work out but maybe you could find a better way that works.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 2:52 am
Go and ask a rav!
Soya is not chametz, but rather kitniyot and is allowed sometimes in special cases. Maybe someone makes soya milk kosher l'Pesach. Also depends on age of the child.

mannyzmom

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 3:45 am
shalhevet wrote:
Go and ask a rav!
Soya is not chametz, but rather kitniyot and is allowed sometimes in special cases. Maybe someone makes soya milk kosher l'Pesach. Also depends on age of the child.

Yes

Ima'la

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 5:16 am
Actually, even better than that, it is not even one of the more definitely kitniyos - it is something that has come to be considered kitniyos more recently (I don't they ate soybeans hundreds of years ago in Europe!) so there is even more room to be meikil for special needs than with regular kitniyos. Definitely ask! Especially if you are in an area where there are Sefardi hechsherim (I.e. Israel), where you could probably find some with a Sefardi kosher l'Pesach hechsher.

hila

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 7:06 am
I had two kids who had no cows milk till tehy were about 5 years old.
They both drank soya milk (at first formula and then soy milk) on Pesach.
Our Rav did tell me at teh time tha I should keep their keilim separate.

Of course Sefardim here in Israel have no such sheaila, since they eat/drink kitniot and soya is considered kitniot.

There is no question of it being hametz.

Please do talk to your Rav on this one.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 7:58 am
I don't know where you live, but I would imagine that kosher l'Pesach soya milk would be available in Israel. Maybe you could ask on a separate thread. There is someone here with a grocery store in Israel, who would probably know. But I'm not sure she's publicized it outside the Israel forum and she couldn't pm you since you're anonymous.

If you ask your rav now, even if it's not available where you live, you would still have enough time to get some sent to you.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 8:05 am
I agree - ask your rov! Smile I'm sure you can work out something BE"H.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 8:16 am
Thank you all for your responses. Will definitly ask a shaila. But good advice about looking for the pesachdike soyamilk. If my Rav okays it with seperate kailim I assume ill begin my search. Im in Toronto.

mannyzmom

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 8:24 am
materna is kosher for pesach in israel and thy import it to montreal. maybe you can find it in toronto too.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 8:26 am
he is 3 half so materna is not quite what he is used to. He likes the vitasoy or presidents choice choclate soya milk. He is very meticulous about tastes, textures etc. If he notices the smallest difference, he tantrums and then will not only drink, but not eat for day too.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 8:36 am
So tell the rav all the details. Maybe he would even be able to have a product without a Pesach hechsher if it doesn't contain actual chometz, especially with being autistic.
You should go to an important posek who can make such decisions.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 8:53 am
OP here. My Rav is the head of Bes Din here. He is incredible with shailos B"H. We shall see what he says.

ChavieK

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 1:36 pm
One year about 3 hours before yom tov my 5 year old started crying. Turned out he had a urinary tract infection.Pediatrician told me to get cranberry juice.The regular supermarket didn't have any kosher l'pesach left. Called the rav he said "it's only corn syrup & the child needs it" Kept it seperate & chol hamoed went to the kosher supermarket. Also I had a child with reflux who was on kitniyos formula.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 1:58 pm
Just like with baby formula - you just keep it separate - you may want to try a more acceptible brand for pesach after asking rav - before pesach so that he could check it out ....

amother

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 1:58 pm
I am so curious what the end would be. can you please post what the final word is?

also are you lubavitch? I assume that the rav you were referring to is Rav Schochet, I am curious to know what he would say on such a matter.

yoyosma

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 4:34 pm
When I fed my DD soy formula, I got new bottles and brushes and just kept it seperate from the regular food.
As Shalhevet said, its Kitniyos, not actual Chametz so keeping it seperate should solve the problem. But ask your Rav!

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 4:59 pm
My son was about 3 one pesach and was really sick and was only drinking rice milk. When we asked the rav about it he said its fine because of the health issues. We kept his kelim seperate. Ask a rav. soy milk is kitneyus, much less a problem than mamesh chometz.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics