Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Does anyone have an idea for a nice S.M. for the In-Laws?

Mishie

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 3:58 am
I'm looking for a nice idea for Shalach-Manos for my In-Laws (DH's Parents, not all the SILs and DILs, that's seperate).

What do you usually send?

supermom

Post Tue, Feb 06 2007, 8:44 am
This year I decided to do something different. My mother in law loves to drink chicco (healthy grains instead of coffee). So I went to a photo place and put my kids picture on a mug, and got them to right 'we love you bubby'. I am then going to be buying her a thing of chicco, creamer, and baking her a cake.

Esther23

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 2:12 pm
My friend just told me what she's doing for her mil and it sounds beautiful. She got a fondue dipping pot from bed bath and beyond for good price, she's putting choc. into the pot and putting the pot onto a tray. Around the pot on the tray she's putting little plates / containers of things that you can dip into fondue like strawberries, cookies, marshmallows... and then wrap the whole thing in big saran bag.

PinkandYellow

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 2:20 pm
woah. that stuff sounds fancy adn complicated. we would do a cellophane wrapped basket with a good bottle of wine and nice, fancy noshes and stuff (not cheap little kid junk). but we are overseas so we split with sil and had a store deliver for $45 a fancy packaging with fancy choc and nuts.

Marion

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 2:25 pm
Yeah, usually I just do up a nice basket; basically supersized what everyone else gets. A full-sized bottle of wine, 2 nice bars of chocolate, sometimes some nice cheese (depends on pricing), some nice nash, a jar of honey or jam, and some chocolate covered coffee beans.

Squash

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 3:01 pm
My mil doesn't want anyone to bring her shalach manos. We all just bring something for the meal. This is great, and I'm so thankful for her perspective on this.

I'm really not creative and I would have such a hard time coming up with something "nice" to give her. I am a good cook, though. So at least I can bring her something delicious!

Raisin

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 3:04 pm
Squash wrote:
My mil doesn't want anyone to bring her shalach manos. We all just bring something for the meal. This is great, and I'm so thankful for her perspective on this.

I'm really not creative and I would have such a hard time coming up with something "nice" to give her. I am a good cook, though. So at least I can bring her something delicious!

This is exactly what m.m is meant to be: food for the meal. So as long as you are making 2 different types of things, you are certainly fulfilloing the mitzva.

Mishie

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 5:58 pm
I also usually bring something that I've either cooked or baked (for the meal).

I was thinking of doing something different this year. If I have enough time, then I will get my IL's and my Parents mugs with a pic of my kids on them, and fill them with chocolates, and wrap nicely.

We'll see how my week goes.....

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 6:10 pm
I AM Baking A PECan pie AND Paring it up with A NICE BOTTLE OF WINE.

Yehudis2

Post Sun, Feb 25 2007, 6:20 pm
A nice idea a friend of mine did was to do this.

She bought a big plant pot and a large pineapple to match. She placed the pineapple in the pot and filled the pot to cover the pineapple up to the leaves with chocolate lentils and the like to make it look like "earth" . The she took fruit leather and wrapped it like a flower on the pineapple spikes. Alternatively you put little photos of your kids on the spikes amongst the flowers. I can't remember if she did that or not.

It looked amazing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics