Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Amazing brownies you can cut
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Sanguine

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 5:05 am
Everyone makes potato starch brownies on Pesach. I've always loved them but you basically had to eat them right out of the pan with a spoon - Yummy but Mushy.

A few years ago I came across the standard recipe but something was different. It holds together!! You can cut real squares. I've even made double - pan (17 x 11) and it solidifies for serving a crowd

I'm posting the recipe here - I know, you have it, but do yours cut nicely?

Pesach brownies you can cut

1 C. Oil
4 eggs
1 3/4 C. Sugar
3/4 C. Potato Starch
3/4 C. Cocoa
1 pkg vanilla sugar
(optional - throw in some chocolate chips)

Mix and bake at 350 (or a little hotter depending on how your oven works) for half an hour (or more) - Usually much more than half an hour. Touch the cake in the middle to see if solid or test with toothpick - may be a lot more time. Don't be afraid to let it keep baking till you're sure it's solid

I use a foil pan which is actually 8 1/2 x 10 1/2 if you measure the very bottom of the pan (the top is much bigger and they call them 9 x12 but the bottom will give you the size I'm talking about

ETA - clarriffying

Last edited by Sanguine on Tue, Mar 31 2015, 5:10 am; edited 2 times in total

Happy 2B

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 6:37 am
You think I can leave out the vanilla sugar we don't use it on pesach?

Sanguine

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 7:22 am
Happy 2B wrote:
You think I can leave out the vanilla sugar we don't use it on pesach?

Really? Never occured to me it was a problem on Pesach. Do you use vanilla? (ours is imitation) - the vanilla sugar is mehadrin...

Doesn't really matter - What's so amazing about these brownies is the texture that cuts nicely into pieces. Add another Tbsp of sugar and if you can add some chocolate chips. I'm sure they'll be great even without the vanilla

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 7:58 am
Sanguine wrote:
Everyone makes potato starch brownies on Pesach.

I don't!

Just saying... Smile

Sanguine

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:00 am
Lady Godiva wrote:
I don't!

Just saying... Smile

You should - they're delicious and so easy to make (and you can eat them erev Pesach too)

JewishMommyNYC

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:28 am
I have a question about this recipe. Could you please tell me if the cocoa is cocoa powder? Should it be unsweetened or sweetened? If you can, please tell me what you use. Thanks for posting this!!

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Apr 10 2014, 8:37 am
JewishMommyNYC wrote:
I have a question about this recipe. Could you please tell me if the cocoa is cocoa powder? Should it be unsweetened or sweetened? If you can, please tell me what you use. Thanks for posting this!!

Yes, it would be unsweetened cocoa. Standard baking type cocoa. Any recipe that just states cocoa would use that.

Happy 2B

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 9:01 am
Made these without the v. sugar after my ice cream failed and they came out delicious!!

happybeingamom

Post Fri, Apr 11 2014, 9:58 am
I want to try to bakes this on Sunday, just waiting for Parve Oven to be Pesachdik.

Thanks for the recipe.

Sanguine

Post Sat, Apr 12 2014, 2:13 pm
Made them on Thursday and froze them but ended taking them out for Shabbat and eating them. Were good even when we could have been eating Chametz

freidasima

Post Sat, Apr 12 2014, 2:33 pm
Sounds good only I don't use oil. Or anything with fats like cocoa. For others, yes but not for myself...
So here is what I made (sorry to hijack your thread).

8 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
baking powder or baking soda
4 very heaping tablespoons of potato starch
boiled cooked and cooled fruit mashed up.

separate eggs, whip whites with sugar for a long time until standing. Take a bit of this and mix with three of the yolks, throw the others out or use for something else. Mix the yolk mixture with the whites. Fold in potato starch. Bake in a thin layer in a very long jelly roll pan that has been lightly greased (you can use the KLP olive oil spray and then just wipe it off) for 20 minutes or so on 350. Take out of oven and immediately loosen from pan so you can pick the whole thing up, put on the mashed boiled and cooked fruit or use natural jam for those who use, and roll up into a "jelly roll", wrap with clingfilm and then in foil and freeze, defrost and use.

Sanguine

Post Sat, Apr 12 2014, 3:55 pm
freidasima wrote:
Sounds good only I don't use oil. Or anything with fats like cocoa. For others, yes but not for myself...
So here is what I made (sorry to hijack your thread).

Feel free to hijack - I'm as likely to cook your recipes as you are to cook mine but there are always people looking for healthy cooking. By chance I actually used lowfat cocoa (bought it by accident). I thought it would be a disaster but it tasted the same

Grandmama

Post Sat, Apr 12 2014, 10:10 pm
1 C. Oil
4 eggs
1 3/4 C. Sugar
3/4 C. Potato Starch
3/4 C. Cocoa
1 pkg vanilla sugar

Mix and bake at 350 for half an hour (or more)[/quote]

Do you whip the egg whites or just mix in one bowl?

Sanguine

Post Sat, Apr 12 2014, 10:43 pm
Grandmama wrote:
Do you whip the egg whites or just mix in one bowl?

These are brownies = no work - you can even mix them by hand. Make a batch now. They'll be gone before Bedikat Chametz and you'll wonder why you ever bother with recipes that separate eggs or use more than one bowl

Happy 2B

Post Sat, Apr 12 2014, 10:45 pm
Grandmama wrote:
1 C. Oil
4 eggs
1 3/4 C. Sugar
3/4 C. Potato Starch
3/4 C. Cocoa
1 pkg vanilla sugar

Mix and bake at 350 for half an hour (or more)

Do you whip the egg whites or just mix in one bowl?[/quote]

all together. So easy hubby did the mixing just made my 2nd and 3rd batch they are yummy I added chopped filberts to one batch came out even better!! sprinkled some on top and looks pretty too!

mommalah

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 7:52 pm
Anyone know what size pan to to use?

citimom

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 7:59 pm
9x13. Thanks for posting this amazing recipe!! It's super easy and delicious!! My kids polished off half a cake as soon as it came out of the oven!! Just made more!

Grandmama

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 8:19 pm
What is the texture? Is it gooey and sticky or really like real brownies?
Thanks again.
I made a brownie with beaten egg whites which came out high and fluffy.

Sanguine

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 9:54 pm
Grandmama wrote:
What is the texture? Is it gooey and sticky or really like real brownies?
Thanks again.
I made a brownie with beaten egg whites which came out high and fluffy.

Just try them already! They're brownies - that's it. The amazing thing is that they cut into solid pieces. This (almost) same exact recipe (that I'm sure I grew up loving) was always great tasting but everyone had to sit around the pan with a spoon. These can be cut into squares and put on a plate.

Make them right now cause they're perfect for today when you're between Chometz and Matza

willow

Post Mon, Apr 14 2014, 3:32 am
I made them for Shabbos (we already turned over then) They were a hit!! Thank you
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics