Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ISO Pediatric Psychiatrist

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 12:32 pm
I live in Monsey, but I want a TOP TOP TOP doctor. Money is not an issue, and I would not mind spending even $800+ for an evaluation. Of course, if there is someone less expensive who is still great, that is acceptable as well.

Boy is 12 years old. My pediatrician said that he may have PANDAS, however he has had anxiety attacks in the past and my father has OCD, so I am not certain that PANDAS is the diagnosis. I just came back from a long vacation too. The situation needs to be handled ASAP as the child is in terror and pain. I need a great psychiatrist who is able to diagnose exceptionally. I want the doctor to be able to see if this episode is simply anxiety brought on from travel, lack of sleep, feeling down, etc. or if this may be PANDAS or the beginning an anxiety disorder.

I do not want a person who pushes medication because without being certain that it is necessary and without therapy, I would not push that.

Manhattan is totally ok.

Any recommendations?

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 12:34 pm
I'm sorry I did not properly express myself. I realize $800 is not expensive for a full evaluation. I meant $800 for the initial consultation. I know many adult psychiatrists in Manhattan charge $650-$850 for the first visit, and I can only assume pediatric ones must charge more because of the specialty and difficulty dealing with children.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 12:35 pm
Dr Naomi Najman in Engelwood (201) 816-0202 or Dr Dorothy Grice (212)659-1670 in Manhattan. Both recommended by Relief agency in Brooklyn. By the way, the evaluation will cost between $1200 and $1600.

Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 12:37 pm
amother wrote:
Dr Naomi Najman in Engelwood (201) 816-0202 or Dr Dorothy Grice (212)659-1670 in Manhattan. Both recommended by Relief agency in Brooklyn. By the way, the evaluation will cost between $1200 and $1600.

Hatzlacha!

Do you know how many weeks their evaluation consists of?

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 12:45 pm
Did you do the blood test for PANDAS? I wouldnt cross it off the list. How long does it take to get the results?

STMommy

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 12:50 pm
Dr. Roy Boorady at the Child Mind Institute on Park Avenue in Manhattan.

http://www.childmind.org/en/di.....radyr

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:
Did you do the blood test for PANDAS? I wouldnt cross it off the list. How long does it take to get the results?

PANDAS cannot be diagnosed by a blood test. A blood test can only confirm a previous strep infection. The boy has had around 10 positive strep cultures since the beginning of this winter, and he has tested positive for strep antibodies at all different stages. Furthermore, each time he gets a strep infection, his symptoms have worsened. I am not ruling it out, but am not comfortable with it for certain, which is why I want a psychiatrist who is good and experienced. Even if it is PANDAS, I would still take his to a psychiatrist to confirm/psychologist to help his deal with his feelings/emotions.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 1:24 pm
Previous poster who recommended Dr. Najman: She meets with the parents alone the first time, then once or twice with the child and then theres the meeting with the parents wher she discusses her findings and recommendations. all together, you will need 3-4 visits. The $1200 to $1600 amount I posted, was based on the 3-4 visits.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 7:41 am
Bumping this up as im in similar situation as op.
Please, someone help me find an excellent pediatric psychiatrist. I live in Monsey, but willing to travel. Thank you!

oneofakind

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 10:00 am
Dr. Stein in Manhattan is excellent. Sorry don't have number but I'm sure Relief does. I would treat the PANDA s first (Dr. Susan Schulman in Boro Park) is best for that and then treat the psychiatric symptoms that are left. He may just need therapy, not even medication.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics