Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Tutor pay

amother

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 9:34 am
I have a teacher who teaches my son over the internet. Recently another kid joined. Should we a. split the money we are paying the teacher? eg if we were paying him $20 per class, each pay $10, or b. should we make the total amount a little more, so each pay $12.50 per class? (for me it is win win since my son enjoys the class more with the other kid, and in either case I will be paying less money)

I think the teacher will be fine with option a (its no more work for him) but is it fairer to do option b?

rosenbal

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 9:40 am
I think it's more like 15 per kid in your example but I could be wrong.

greenfire

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 10:24 am
imho ~ the teacher should be getting paid per child in this scenario so the price should go up not down - I.e. $20 per kid

yo'ma

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 10:35 am
greenfire wrote:
imho ~ the teacher should be getting paid per child in this scenario so the price should go up not down - I.e. $20 per kid

When there's more than one child, they don't get as much attention, so they should pay less. A tutor gets paid more an hour than a teacher because it's one on one. In this case, $20 is really cheap, so greenfire, I ask, would you say the same if op paid $40-50?

greenfire

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 10:38 am
I don't care about the amount per se - I was merely using her $20 as an example

when you bring kids to a playgroup - just because your neighbor is at the same playgroup as your child - one doesn't get a discount

now if they were 2 siblings - I could see the discount as a possibility ...

yo'ma

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 10:40 am
I reread op's post and I see that she gave 20 as an example. I thought she said that's how much she paid. I still say they each should pay a little less because there's not as much attention to each kid.

Playgroup is not the same thing because you started as a group.

seeker

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 10:48 am
Option B. If you were paying $20 for one student, pay $30 for two and each pay $15.

amother

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 12:32 pm
[quote="seeker"]Option B. If you were paying $20 for one student, pay $30 for two and each pay $15.[/quote
I agree. I'm a teacher and this is the normal protocol for tutoring.

seeker

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 1:11 pm
PS, I don't think it's possible that it's "no more work for him" to tutor two kids than one.

invisiblecircus

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 4:34 pm
[quote="amother"]
seeker wrote:
Option B. If you were paying $20 for one student, pay $30 for two and each pay $15.[/quote
I agree. I'm a teacher and this is the normal protocol for tutoring.

I agree too, and I agree with seeker that there is more work involved in tutoring two. Ultimately, all students have different strengths and weaknesses so the tutor will need to find ways to address the weaknesses of each student in order that they both derive benefit from the sessions. It is not the same as planning a lesson for a whole class where a more generic approach is needed, albeit with differentiation.

The correct thing to do would be to ask the tutor what his policy is.

boysrus

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 7:03 pm
my husband tutors, he adopted the policies set by the school he teaches in, because they set him up with his first kids for tutoring a few years back.
You should really ask the tutor how much he would charge for the two kids together, it doesnt really matter what we imamothers say , because for all you know he might have a specific policy and price.
call him and ask!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics