Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Okay... So, WHAT are y'all putting in your Mishloach-Manos?
Previous  1  2

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 2:02 pm
iamawife wrote:
mini cold cut sandwiches

I'm doing something like this as well. how're you doing it?

faigie

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 6:24 pm
box of choc truffles and a gevalia booze..for most people
tha fancy ones are gonna be martha stewarts choc cake with choc ganache frosting, the others will be getting a fruit tart. all with a booze.
cant go wrong with choc and booze.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 6:29 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
DH is giving grapes, a single big store bought Hamantasch, and a fancy beer.

I got big divided nut platters which I am giving with a big bottled water, nice enough to put on the table for the seudah.

Your one doesn't count as MM - give one at least with something else as well. Water (however healthy and expensive Smile) is not considered important for MM.

withhumor

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 6:30 pm
In the I Love NY Shopping bags:
B/W Checkerboard tissue paper
Mini Grape Juice
Apple Chips
Green Packaged wafer
Green Mike Ikes
1 Big Apple Smile

Bet you can’t guess the costumes…

Hannah!

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 8:41 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

elmofood

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 9:08 pm
flower theme. flower lolly, flower cookies. flower teas, in a pink taffeta bag whcih goes into a glass flour jar.

IntroducingYael

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 1:19 am
To the mothers saying "feh" to home made goodies in 'Shlach Manos, do you not eat in other people's homes, too? I hope that's not a common attitude because I worked really hard on several dozen hamentaschen to go in my MM.
I'm putting a few (homemade, ohnoes!) hamentaschen in little plastic chinese takeout boxes I got at target with two organic lollypops for "chopsticks"...I was thinking of putting peanuts, too, but now it just seems like filler. I'll garnish it with ribbon and a handmade card saying who it's from.
It's small and simple, but we're on a budget and I think it's a creative, cute and thoughtful way to fulfill the mitzvah.

sarahd

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 5:37 am
I'm sending a marinated vegetable salad and matbucha spread (homemade shock ) and bridge rolls (homebaked shock ). Whoever doesn't want my homemade stuff is free to dump it.

de_goldy

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 7:15 am
IntroducingYael wrote:
To the mothers saying "feh" to home made goodies in 'Shlach Manos, do you not eat in other people's homes, too? I hope that's not a common attitude because I worked really hard on several dozen hamentaschen to go in my MM.
I'm putting a few (homemade, ohnoes!) hamentaschen in little plastic chinese takeout boxes I got at target with two organic lollypops for "chopsticks"...I was thinking of putting peanuts, too, but now it just seems like filler. I'll garnish it with ribbon and a handmade card saying who it's from.
It's small and simple, but we're on a budget and I think it's a creative, cute and thoughtful way to fulfill the mitzvah.

sorry, I do that too and I think hamentashen is usually one of the first things to go in the garbage.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 8:09 am
To some of the posters who are sending something small, I'm with you all the way. But there are some opinions that the MM has to be important to the recipient, so send one per person (husband, wife and children who have reached chinuch) which is more expensive.

For example the flower one: it is only cookies and a lolly (tea - unless it's a fresh, hot cupful Smile - and jars are not MM). Many adults would not see that as chashuv.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 8:12 am
Hannah! wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
DH is giving grapes, a single big store bought Hamantasch, and a fancy beer.

I got big divided nut platters which I am giving with a big bottled water, nice enough to put on the table for the seudah.

Your one doesn't count as MM - give one at least with something else as well. Water (however healthy and expensive Smile) is not considered important for MM.

Why wouldn't the nut platter count, assuming that it has at least two varieties of nuts?

Ah, could be, I hadn't thought of that! I wonder if two varieties of the same food count? Sounds like a shaila!

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 8:14 am
Quote:
Ah, could be, I hadn't thought of that! I wonder if two varieties of the same food count? Sounds like a shaila!

I don't know if I remember correctly, but I think I learnt in halacha in high school, that even a choc cake and lemon meringue pie would be yotzei bec they are diff types of food, even tho they are diff types of cake. but I would definitely ask a shaila.

faigie

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 9:27 am
here people are LUCKY to get anything home made, and its usually vlaued above all. if one makes by themselves it is the mark of a balabusta, so you get xtra brownie ( no pun intended, oh what the heck its purim,, ill take credit for that pun!) points if you send that home made brownie!
I mean seriously, who needs and xtra bag of sugary nosh? if youre gonna cheat, for heavens sake make it at least worthwhile!!!
PS if your baking challenged ( as am I) there is a bakery on ave M which makes hamontashen that can pass for home made. and if anyone asks u if u made it or if it was bought? -ya didnt hear it from me.

shanie5

Post Wed, Feb 28 2007, 9:34 am
I look forward to most of the homemade items-especially the hamantaschen (as long as its not filled w/ mon).

we are sending lollipops, non pareils, dark chocolate flowers and homemade animal shaped cookies-the size of animal crackers.

momof5boys

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 5:09 am
I'm giving a "fish" mazal dagim theme for adar:
soup nuts in the shape of fish,
munchies/ mini crackers in the shape of fish
jelly candies in the shape of fish
can of tuna fish/ salmon
plus a printed out paper with midrashim on why Bnei Yisrael are compared to fish.

I'll be makign only 5-7 of them

Problem is that I did this before and I need to make 2 MM of another theme to other people, any ideas, quick responses please.... thanks.

FEEL FREE TO COPY MY THEME AND IF YOU WANT MY MIDRASHIM- PM, ME AND I'LL E MAIL TO YOU.

Marion

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 7:09 am
I'm doing VERY basic:

a piece of fruit
a Crembo
1-2 hamentaschen (possibly homemade)
pretzels/popcorn
hard candy

Unfortunately I have neither the time or money this year to do much more than that...hopefully I'll be better organized next year.

Interesting...I was on the bus through Mea Shearim yesterday and saw a TON of notices saying that one should break the habit of big, ostentatious mishloach manot, and instead give small tzanua ones and give the difference in money to tzedaka.

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 7:41 am
IntroducingYael wrote:

Very sweet! I like the way you put that together. Very Happy

mirisimma

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 7:54 am
doesnt it have to be 2 diff brachos?

ok never did anythign creative before always buch of stuff in baggie but this year I had an apifany (how speel?)

I'm making small placemat from cardboard, gluing on disposable tiny plate and tiny cup and drawing on foirk and knife, and folding a napkin (thats really the card) with fake lipstick mark on it. (like you wiped you mouth, get it? is it awful if make my husband do it as a joke? ) and I'm gluing on the foods on the plate: tiny muffin, tiny chocolate bar and tiny candy. and gluing the grape juice next to cup. since its all glued I wont have to cover it. (and hopefull ppl can just rip it off)

The purposeL chashuv and special like the mitzvah should be, yet not very expensive. ppl ca get carried away with prices for these things.

I have about 30 of them... I estimate I'll be all excited and gung ho for the first 5 then terribly regret it...

mirisimma

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 7:55 am
IntroducingYael wrote:

I think its great. I want one!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics