Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What Should Schools Teach?

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 11:18 am
Do you think that schools should teach:

healthy eating habits and about anorexia/bulimia?

about the dangers of smoking?

do you think public schools should teach s- ed?

who should be most responsible to instill morals and manners in children - homes? schools?

should schools give parenting and marriage courses for unmarried students?

is there any topic you would be upset to hear your child was taught without your consent?

can a line be drawn between what is appropriate for school to teach and what is appropriate for home?

just questions for now, have to ponder answers Smile

hisorerus

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 11:44 am
Healthy eating habits yes, but I don't see any reason to give lists of diseases and their symptoms out to kids. We're running a school, not a medical diagnosis facility! Teaching how to look for anorexia, bulemia, yenna machla, depression- that's a very negative attitude and I can't see it improving the atmosphere between students or in the school at all.

The TEACHERS should perhaps be taught about how to look for certain signals, but do you really want your child's friend trying to diagnose her?!?

hadasa

Post Fri, Apr 01 2005, 1:13 am
hisorerus, I see your point, although raising awareness of these diseases may be beneficial, and would probably also lower the level of stigma associated with them.

Rivka

Post Sat, Apr 02 2005, 9:37 pm
I think kids should be taught about smoking, alcohol and drugs and what it does to the body. I do not think any schools should be teaching s-x ed as it seems to have caused too many teen pregnancies. If you knew how they taught it as well it makes you realise why standards are slipping.

I think Jewish schools should also have lessons on why being Jewish is good and exactly what it is, not just plain halacha and stuff like that. More like a be proud of who you are and hopefully if they are proud of who they are.

hisorerus

Post Sun, Apr 03 2005, 12:45 am
I recently read (can supply source if necessary) that publicizing suicide makes it happen more often. After a suicide appears in the media, suicide levels SPIKE.

Should make us think twice before giving people, especially impressionable children and teens, ideas.

gryp

Post Sun, Apr 03 2005, 11:17 am
Quote:
Should make us think twice before giving people, especially impressionable children and teens, ideas.

hisorerus, I completely agree with you. there is no need to put ideas into our childrens minds.
a parent can discuss these issues on an individual basis with his/her own children when the need arises.

Tefila

Post Sun, Apr 03 2005, 11:33 am
Hiorerus well said!!
and
Quote:
is there any topic you would be upset to hear your child was taught without your consent?

Motek yes both the school and parent body should discuss b/4 any sensitive subject is taught. and wether or not it it's appropiate!!

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Apr 03 2005, 11:45 am
children should have enough knowledge to recognise danger/ stupidity & run the other way.

It also requires healthy self-esteem

and both parties r responsible, but parents > than school

Rivka

Post Mon, Apr 04 2005, 7:50 pm
I have not heard about suicides being taught in schools.

Motek

Post Tue, Apr 05 2005, 2:04 pm
nobody said it was
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics