Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What are you doing with all the Junk??

Basya

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 9:20 am
I would love to know if there is somewhere to donate all this stuff.

I don't want it and neither does DH or anyone else I speak to. Should I just toss it out? Is it ba'al tashchis?

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 9:32 am
My ds is taking it to school. I overheard plans of selling it. Confused I think that's against schoool policy, but ds assures me that it's not enforced, and he's going to buy seforim with the money LOL

Nicole

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 9:32 am
Is there a boys' yeshiva in your area? Last year we donated a ton to one of those. They practically inhale the stuff. Or donate to tomchai shabbos, is there one in your area?

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 9:37 am
hey - I think everyone has enough junk - and personally us poor people do not want it any more than u do. We also have to clean for pesach, etc. so find some non-jewish kids in a school or s/t and give it to them perhaps.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 10:14 am
I gave the questionable stuff to our security guard, but I give the stuff we won't eat - and even my coworkers' stuff - to a mosad who make lechaims for poor chossans and kallahs.

PM m if you want to know where to take it.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 10:19 am
greenfire wrote:
hey - I think everyone has enough junk - and personally us poor people do not want it any more than u do. We also have to clean for pesach, etc. so find some non-jewish kids in a school or s/t and give it to them perhaps.

Chessed organizations are allowed to sell chometz gamur (total chometz) even in communities where the minhag is not to, because it's a hefsed merubeh (great loss). Then they can distribute the food after Pesach.

I think it's a real shame to give it to a non-Jewish kid, when you could be giving a Jewish child a treat for Shabbos which his parents can't give him. I'm also not sure if halachically you're allowed to because of 'lo techonenaim'.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 10:25 am
I don't know what lo techonenaim means But I a speaking from my own experience with these type of organizations. If they were to store it like a food bank and give it out accordingly - perhaps it wouldn't be so bad. I however, have gotten loads of other peoples' left over shaloch manos right before pesach and personally find it offensive - I am not that poor that I suddenly need to take care of your unwanted garbage - because that is what it becomes to me. Over the past years I have almost completely stopped giving out shaloch manos cause I do not want all the extra junk in my house - and thankfully people stop giving too. So again then why do I need others stuffing my house with junk before pesach!!! When giving to someone for tzedaka or any gift for that matter, one must take into account the receiver and if it is good for them not just if it is good for u to give.

Esther01

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 10:52 am
are you talking about jusk, or real food, because if it's junk-candy, jelly... please dump it, just like you don't need it, so do others not need it. and it is not bal tashchis. poor ppl need food not junk.

ChavieK

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 10:55 am
My ds will take it to yeshiva.hs & bais medrash boys can consume untold quantities of food.

bashinda

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 11:05 am
sending to the same org cm is for the good stuff
throwing out the pure sugar. B"H, DD doesn't like the stuff either
DH takes MM to work shushan purim

so we tend not to have to much stuff, B"H

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 11:07 am
I can't donate any of the stuff b/c I opened every box of junk we received so I could at least try everything. I can't give an organization stuff that's been opened.

Hopefully DH will take stuff to work, if not, I'm tossing it.

Dini

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 11:12 am
I always send them with dh to shul. The men love it.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 11:16 am
the good chocolates I eat Smile
I'll go through the rest of the stuff eventually and decide what to keep and what to give away. The last couple of years I sent a bag of junk with my husband to his yeshiva.

bashinda

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 11:25 am
no offence meant but if you consider it junk why are you giving it to anyone? What

I suppose to the people at shul it's not considered junk?

and I never heard of people giving other people chometz right before Pesach either. Doesn't it occur to them that that's not chessed?

lubcoralsprings

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 11:32 am
if you live in brooklyn give it to keren simchas chossen v kallah. The lady who runs the organziation puts it out for people's engagement parties that can't afford to.

ssbarnes

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 11:44 am
My husband will take some to work, some we donate to the food bank. Some things that won't melt, my children pack up to send to the troops overseas.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 12:20 pm
LubCoralSprings, they don't do that anymore. As I said, PM me to find out who DOES do it now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics