Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Has anyone ever missed Parshat Zachor?

ShiraMiri

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 8:55 am
I haven't missed since I've known about it! Smile

It does get hard sometimes to make it there with all the kids in tow. Are any of you worried you won't make it this year?

Our shul has an early and regular minyan. My husabdn always davens at the early minyan anyway, so I go to the regular (later) minyan when he comes home - or I meet him at shul with everyone after his minyan and he watches the kids while I go into the regular minyan

Last edited by ShiraMiri on Fri, Mar 02 2007, 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 10:24 am
I'm not worried as I have older te4ens and now it's read a dfew times a day in our town, but when they were little I had to hear onPUrim day. and I hated that.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 10:29 am
I don't think I've heard it since I was a kid!

shopaholic

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 10:50 am
yes
when I've had a baby in the house & can't get to shul. But then I make sure to her them read it on Purim.

withhumor

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 10:51 am
I don’t think it’s fair for the others for me to show up with my little kids… we listen privately on Purim.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 10:57 am
the rav of our shul said that there is no second reading of zachor in our shul because it is assur to bring out a sefer torah just for women. If a minyan of men agreeed to stay in then they could do it, but he said beside that, a woman does NOT have to hear zachor in shul from the Torah, and she is covered by opening a chumash and reading it to herself.

ShiraMiri

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 11:10 am
amother wrote:
the rav of our shul said that there is no second reading of zachor in our shul because it is assur to bring out a sefer torah just for women. If a minyan of men agreeed to stay in then they could do it, but he said beside that, a woman does NOT have to hear zachor in shul from the Torah, and she is covered by opening a chumash and reading it to herself.

My husband explained that although Megillah and Zachor are time bound commandments, women are obligated in these mitzvot because they were involved in the nes. This is not a kula he would recommend relying upon. If a woman is able to leave the house and participate (barring illness, just gave birth, sick kids, etc) she should make every effort to hear Zachor read from the Torah with a minyan and not rely on a maykel opinion. Likewise, shuls should make every effort to make sure that women are able to perform this mitzvah.

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 11:15 am
I don't think I ever missed it - but now I'm wondering what I did when my son was born - too many years ago to remember Scratching Head

JMto2

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 1:13 pm
I have been in shul and my daughter cried just in time for me to miss it I know a lot of people that do not go to it. I had my husband ask the rav than when I missed it and he said woman are not mechuav to hear it so if I missed its fine

Coke Slurpee

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 1:23 pm
My rav said if you can't make it to shul it is fine to read it. And that is what I do.

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 1:32 pm
My rav said I could hear Krias Torah on Purim. I (as well as with all the mothers in my neighborhood with children who can't walk to shul) simplly cannot get to shul bc we don't have an eruv. There is only one minyan, so if tatty's there then I can't be there!

amother

Post Sun, Mar 04 2007, 12:40 am
this is the first time I went to Zachor in a long time

mumoo

Post Sun, Mar 04 2007, 1:34 am
this is the first year I missed it-bas mitzvah daughter in on crutches and I didn't feel right leaving active toddler with her in that condition

mali

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 4:07 am
One of my kids was born on Shabbos Zochor, so I missed it. For all those who missed Zochor this year, you can go to Shul for the Torah reading of Parshas Ki-Tetzei, and listen to it then. You're supposed to hear it once a year, and that's the time to make it up.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 4:31 am
I missed it this year. Stayed home with the kids. Plus my brother left me his baby to watch, so he and his wife can go hear it.

gryp

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 9:12 am
Usually my husband goes to the early minyan, then I go for the regular k'riyah. This year I went to 770 for the early kriyah, and my husband went to the regular minyan.
It always amazes me that no matter what time of morning or night it is that I happen to come into 770, it's always full of men learning. The loud mix of voices coming from the Beis Midrash is a thrill of inspiration.

Jabberwocky

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 9:22 am
This time was the first I've ever missed it! The explanation is embarrassing, though, so won't go into details. Thanks for the idea, Mali, to catch it up by Ki Tetzei!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics