Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
ISO recipe for fleishig bourekas

bashinda

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 10:42 am
1. is there such a thing as fool proof boureka dough? don't think I can get to the store

2. need a recipe for a fleishig filling for purim seuda

thanks!

lotte

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 12:26 pm
Get the Mazor's squares-they are the perfect ones for Burekas!(In supermarket freezer)and you fill them with a meat mix-same one as you would dprepare for meat-balls.fill them ,fold over to a triangle.,egg-brush & sesame seeds.

bashinda

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 12:50 pm
problems ;

1. I said I prob can't get to the store
2. what's in the meat filling?

withhumor

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 3:40 pm
you can boil a potato whole, then peel it and mash it with flour and an egg, and a pinch of salt. When it’s a dough-like consistency, you can try and use it. It’s a shortcut for fancy dough that actually works.

In the meat, you put an egg, salt, pepper, garlic powder, ketchup, breadcrumbs, and water. Make sure it’s enough water for the mixture to be soft and fluffy, and not too hard to mix, then it becomes hard when you cook it.

bashinda

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 5:04 pm
thanks but with dough esp. I don't like trying things out using my guests as guinea pigs. nobody has boring step by step recipes with mostly exact ingredients? the meat filling I'm comfortable to mess around but not with dough

mumof1

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 5:28 pm
I buy prep puff pastry cut into squares I fill it with 1/2 mashed potato and 1/2 ground beef(which I browned with spices and egg , then set to cool). I seal it brush with egg and sesame and bake on 350 til golden brown.
like 20 minutes.
freezes well

bashinda

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 5:38 pm
I was thinking of so it's good I'm on the right track with the filling.

I guess I'll just have to go to the store then somehow or try to explain to DH what to get over the phone.

Thanks
edited by mod 2

amother

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 5:46 pm
I have a recipe but with your attitude I am sure you will have some critic...So maybe its better if you go to the store...

bashinda

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 6:00 pm
edited out

Last edited by bashinda on Thu, Mar 01 2007, 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 6:45 pm
bashinda wrote:
*sigh*

I wrote twice that I didn't think I could make it to the store and I got two responses mentioning store bought puff pastry dough.

I am new around here but is it too much to ask that people read my post before responding?

Here's my basic points:

1. I don't think I can get to the store. So I don't need suggestions that include pre-made puff pastry. Maybe the answer is, no there is no quick foolproof way to do this. Go to the store or nix the idea. Although maybe another time I'll try the potato idea.

2. Saying things like you put "spices" in something just begs the question "so what spices?" It pretty much guarantees that I'm not going to use your recipe or instructions. I don't want to sound snarly here but it's just more helpful to say something like what withhumour wrote. which incidentally was similar to what I was thinking of so it's good I'm on the right track with the filling.

I guess I'll just have to go to the store then somehow or try to explain to DH what to get over the phone.

Thanks
withhumor's recipe is what I did once for kreplach, and they were the best I ever had! I think there's a recipe in Spice and Spirit for shlishkas that's something like it. I can't remember where to find the kreplach recipe. Sad It wasn't in any of my usual cookbooks.

But it's not such a problem with dough, not having exact amounts. If consistency is too sticky, add more flour. when dough is elastic, you know you have the right balance.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 6:50 pm
bashinda, do you have the Spice and Spirit? you can use the knish dough recipe for bourekas. matter of fact, I'm still not that clear what the difference is between knishes and borekas, other than the shape. Confused

As far as the fillings, if you have Spica and spirit, or the Jewish Art Calendar, the kreplach recipe in the centerfold has a very good meat filling.

But if you don't have any of these cookbooks, I'll be glad to post the fillings recipes for you later on this evening, you can PM me to let me know.

bashinda

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 7:04 pm
yep. got the purple cookbook. I made the krepl dough recipe from there today in fact.

bourekas tend to be flakier than knishes... knishes seem more doughy to me but I'll try that if I can't get flaky dough, thanks!

I have the art calendar in two editions this year. I'll try to post my results

thanks again

lotte

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 9:24 pm
Many mambers here like myself run a very busy life:family.kids.work etc...so it is not always possible for us to read bashindas posts more than 1 time and study it by heart..we are trying to be helpful and give some helpful advice.
Sorry that I replied with words such as;Mazor's squares.... Banging head

Eventhough I mean all the above take it easy.not as an attack.it is almost Purim-so dont be too serious.A freilichen Purim to you. LOL
edited by mod 2

bashinda

Post Thu, Mar 01 2007, 9:36 pm
All the best and a Freilichin Purim.
edited by mod-2 pm me if you would like.

withhumor

Post Fri, Mar 02 2007, 11:20 am
Thank you for the encouragement, bashinda. I actually rolled my chair to get my recipe book for you but couldn’t find it! I do think you need to put some oil in there, now that I’m re-reading my post (I want to memorize it) LOL

bashinda

Post Mon, Mar 05 2007, 7:38 pm
so in the end DH stayed home erev shabbos so I could run to the store and get the dough. used withhumour's suggestions for the filling. end results: yummalicious. thanks! Thumbs Up

withhumor

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 10:02 am
good for you, yum!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 06 2007, 1:19 pm
The dough keeps well in the freezer, too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes