Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach Tips

shalhevet

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 2:50 am
Maybe we could all post here general tips we have to help everyone else.

So I'll start.

For a few years now I have left the living room till last. I find that psychologically it's much better once the kitchen is finished, and also practically since I can start cooking. For someone who is not the greatest balabusta (me, for example Smile) the living room can be done in a day if need be (or a whole night... Rolling Eyes ), whereas if you are behind with the kitchen you are in big trouble. Confused

At the end everyone eats chometz in the living room, and once I am organized I can cook Pesach and bring it out on disposables to the living room.

(I'm sure this is good for some families, but not for others.)

Shefele

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 3:36 am
This is really a very, very good idea. It makes the last days before Pessach much less stressful. Because I don't have such good ideas the only thing I can add is : thank you.
shalhevet wrote:
Maybe we could all post here general tips we have to help everyone else.

So I'll start.

For a few years now I have left the living room till last. I find that psychologically it's much better once the kitchen is finished, and also practically since I can start cooking. For someone who is not the greatest balabusta (me, for example Smile) the living room can be done in a day if need be (or a whole night... Rolling Eyes ), whereas if you are behind with the kitchen you are in big trouble. Confused

At the end everyone eats chometz in the living room, and once I am organized I can cook Pesach and bring it out on disposables to the living room.

(I'm sure this is good for some families, but not for others.)

withhumor

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 2:14 pm
Just don’t start easy-offing your whole house, that stuff is dangerous. Click the ad on top!

MOM222

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 9:56 pm
My cooking tip:

Start by frying lots and lots of onions. Almost every recipe uses sauted onions and its a cinch to cook once the onions are sauted.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Mar 07 2007, 10:11 pm
Start by preparing an area to store non-perishables and disposable products. If you have a spare freezer, have it cleaned and lined by this Sunday. Start purchasing meat and fish. Make a goal to finish taxes (if you live in the US) and shopping for children's clothing by this time next week. It is sad to see people up all night figuring taxes near Pesach or buying clothes at last minute when that could be done way before. The shatnes testers get really busy also. Make easy meals even for Shabbos between now and erev Pesach.

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 6:09 am
MOM222 wrote:
My cooking tip:

Start by frying lots and lots of onions. Almost every recipe uses sauted onions and its a cinch to cook once the onions are sauted.

I do that. I fry about 20 in my biggest frying pan. It takes ages, but you get on with other things whilst they're cooking. They keep in the fridge for a few days and I know a few people who do tons and keep them in the freezer, even throughout the year.

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 6:28 am
My other tip would be to try and see if there is a bit of your house that you can convert to a pesach kitchen. This has totally changed my life!

Not possible? don't worry, you can still do a fair bit of food preparation whilst the rest of the house is chometzdik. For a few years before we got the pesach kitchen, we would cover up a table (not in the kitchen!) and clean a small area in order to do things like juicing. We even bought a stand-alone oven and made batches of potato kugel. All this would take place around purim time.

ssbarnes

Post Thu, Mar 08 2007, 6:47 am
Having a seperate freezer has made my life SO much easier. I clean my kitchen freezer for Pesach and move everything else out to the spare freezer. It feels so good to have a part of the kitchen done ahead of schedule.

I can shop for my frozen goods early.

Also, I cook for the first Shabbos after Pesach and then freeze it in the spare freezer, so that all I have to do is defrost and reheat.

Obviously the spare freezer is taped off and sold with all the chometz.

Anything that I can cook ahead of time, I do.

Disposible aluminum pans are wonderful!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics