Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Handbags?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 12:36 am
So, I have never been much of a pocketbook person, but I think I need to. Actually, when I was single and had my own money to spend, I used to like accumulating bags but still rarely used them, except schoolbags. I just keep stuff in my pockets. But mom life is more complicated than that and I think I need a good mom pocketbook. Not the diaper bag, one for me. Note that I haven't bought a bag in years, and the ones I have from back when are small and not so practical for my current rather full life.

So I was in TJ Maxx and found something I liked, but only in a color I didn't like. I found something else I liked, but only in prices I didn't like. I found the same first one I liked, but in black, which seems just TOO boring for me. I bought the black one thinking I can return it if needed. Then I went to a different store where there was a nice amount of clearance going on, but not much that I liked again. I found one in a color I liked a lot (denim with brown leather accents. I love denim, goes with everything and because it's too casual for me to wear most of the time, I love having it on my shoes or accessories - which these days basically means my kids), but didn't love the shape/style of the bag so much (it has a clasp over the top. Seems like a pain to un-clasp and re-clasp every time, but looks silly if you leave it hanging even though the bag itself closes with a zipper.) Then I found a bag I liked quite a lot but the color was much brighter than I had in mind (coral. Not so "me." Maybe if it were aqua... but there was only the one) and it cost more than the others ($25, which I understand is not such a fortune - it was on clearance - but considering that I had gone looking for clothes and shoes and do not really have budget room for a new handbag, I was looking for a metzia and the others were $16.) So I bought them both, again thinking I will be back to return the first one anyway so I may as well shop around, snag the clearance, and come back when I've decided.

Basically, I like telling long-winded meaningless stories to captive anonymous audiences. I would blog except nobody would read it. But here you all are anyway.

Anyway, here's where you can help:
> How many handbags does a proper lady (on a shoestring budget) own? I mean, does it make sense to buy a coral-colored handbag when that seems to be very much a "Spring palette" color and will certainly look loud in the winter? Am I supposed to keep two so I can wear subtle when needed and colorful when wanted? Or am I supposed to keep looking until I find something I want in, say, brown or navy (I'd love a nice dark purple but that doesn't seem to be happening with my other preferences and budget)
> How much do cheapskates spend on their handbags? Is there anywhere else to find one under $20? Should I just keep the $25 one because I like it even though it's almost twice as much as the others? And coral? (This MIGHT be a picture of it: http://www1.macys.com/shop/pro....._Pos2 )
> Can experienced handbag-carrying mothers offer advice on what makes for a practical handbag, given that I have not actually successfully used one in the past? Mainly I keep shuffling my cards from one pocket to another of my clothes, which isn't actually working out well anymore. I don't even know if the ones I picked out are any good.

This is why I can never buy anything for myself. I am probably going to end up returning all of them because none is perfect, and by the time I do the clearance sale is going to end and I will not spend $70 on one in any case so I'll end up with nothing. Or I'll keep the coral one and then feel guilty every time I use it because it cost more than the others and doesn't look good with anything I wear anyway. Good grief. Help me out please.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 12:42 am
And while we're on the subject, what about those things everyone brings to simchas? Again, I had one from my swinging single shopping days and it just doesn't work anymore, too tiny though cute. So again, I see some for about $13-20 at TJ Maxx (and then also some I actually like, prohibitively expensive). But they are all silky and I think I could ruin them just by looking at them wrong. Is that the one to get, the price to pay, and the place to get it?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 12:47 am
And what is better for the pocketbook, over one shoulder or crossbody? Over one shoulder seems harder to hang onto, but crossbody I'm never sure where to put the strap that it doesn't make my bust look funny. Sigh. The one I liked that only came in a color I disliked and black which I somewhat dislike was able to be used either way. The denim was short-handled and the coral is cross-body.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 1:40 am
I have one purse that I use all the time. I don't have the patience to match a bag to my outfit or shoes or to move all the contents from bag to bag. So I don't.

The most important aspects of a purse to me are enough pockets so I can find things and comfort. I happen to have found a purse in my favorite color (purple) that doesn't really clash with anything even if it doesn't necessarily match. I must have easily accessible outside pockets in front for my keys and cell phone and in back for receipts/coupons. I like having an internal private pocket for emergency cash or to hide jewelry while traveling. The main section of the bag must be able to hold all the stuff I schlep around, which includes the following: wallet, checkbook, collapsible umbrella, small notepad and pens, chapstick, Tums, hand cream, throat lozenges, tissues, sanitary napkins, bedika cloths, hand sanitizer, bandaids, pony holders and book for DD, and miscellaneous other stuff that has found its way in over time. Oh, and the main compartment must be able to close.

It's not worth buying a really cheap purse because you'll end up needing to replace it pretty frequently as it falls apart from use. I'm not saying to buy designer, but it's worth spending $30 on sale at Macy's rather than $15 at a bargain shop.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 1:52 am
Yes, purple would suit me great. I did not see anything nice in purple. I guess I will have to convince DH that I need another day at the mall ;-)

Thanks for the explanation of what to keep in it. Sounds very wise.

Online Macy's doesn't seem to have anything I like in the $30 range even with coupon code (close, but I'm hoping to have some money left to keep in it), but maybe I can find something on clearance in store. The ones I found today were really more expensive but on clearance. Still not sure about the quality, two faux leather and one canvas. It was $15 at a medium-shop on last-tag clearance (the other was $17 at TJ Maxx and the other was $25 at the medium-shop - meaning not cheap junk shop but more like overstocks from real stores). This is the denim one which was the cheapest of them and the best color but I think will go back because I just don't love the shape and the pockets. Oh well. http://www.dsw.com/handbag/kel.....dbags
The $17 one is probably the most practical, it's similar to the $25 one but it's not just black, it's BLAH black.
Maybe I should just go back to the drawing board. Or to Macy's. Same idea. Or maybe I should keep using combinations of clothes pockets and shopping bags until winter, when the colors in clearance might be more neutral. I DO still have my old pocketbook (light blue, too small for all that stuff but will hold wallet, receipts, sanitary supplies, little things) it's just that I went on a binge/spree today, first day in a loooooong time out of the house with no kids looking to outfit myself (with shoes and shirts, not handbags) and I may have gotten a wee bit carried away.

Maybe I'll just keep the coral one and hope it turns itself a nice deep purple. LOL

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 1:57 am
If you need to be careful about what you spend on a purse, then it's worth waiting until you find one that meets all your criteria rather than settling now and regretting it later.

Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics