Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Minhagim

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 9:24 am
The recent threads on kapparos and women not driving got me to thinking about minhagim. How do they start? Why? And if it started at a certain time then did it not deviate from the minhagim/customs of that particular time? If they (the people who started the new minhagim) were able to deviate from their own minhagim, then why can't we do the same thing today?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 12:18 pm
I have this question with certain clothing in particular ie seamed stocking, covered wigs, shtreimels etc. All of these are minhagim that started at certain times changing the minhagim up until that time. so why cant we change these minhagim today just like our grandparents/ancestors did in their times?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 12:27 pm
We can, if there's a gadol behind the change (or a pressing need, like the rice that became allowed during a famine). As for seams I think in these times everyone wore seams because that was how tights just were. Covered wigs, I wonder if it didn't come simply from the fact that OUAT all women wore a hat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics