Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Cheapest place to order groceries - Lkwd

amother

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 8:10 pm
Due to impending birth iyh, I have to finally concede to my conscience and learn how to order groceries by fax/email.
Looking for a place that is reasonably priced, will send me what I ask for, and will take EBT for my groceries (number by phone or something)

Really appreciate your input.

sky

Post Mon, Jun 16 2014, 8:55 pm
I've only done it with Kosher West occasionally. I"ve been pretty happy with their accuracy.
I've learned to be super specific. Specify exact size, color, brand, kashrus, max price when applicable.
Examples of errors have sometimes been me not being specific - like popcorn - I assumed large bag if not specified, but got snack bag size. I also order pas yisroel multi-grain bread - not specifying brand or price. I get is at the co-op for a normal price, they sent me a different brand for double. So I have just learned to be very specific, also you can specify approx delivery time. Make sure they bring the packages inside, rather then ring the bell and run. Its a tremendous convenience.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 1:39 pm
Anyone else? Thx

questioner

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 2:15 pm
I order often from the fruit store on Clifton and 4th, I forgot what it's called, but they don't have email orders only over the phone / fax. The quality is decent and they have good specials.

I've tried Quality Farmers Market also but you have to be very specific. If they had for example, Gala apples on sale, you have to specify that you want the sale apples as opposed to the regular ones which are more expensive. I've had that issue a few times.

I think FoodEx (not positive - maybe Farm Fresh? sorry) delivers with no minimum - my sister-in-law orders from them. I always have in mind to call when I just need bread and milk desperately Smile but never did.

I second sky about KosherWest - you have to be specific. You can order online from grosher.com and then you see exact prices.

I keep getting emails and coupons from shoprite about their shoprite delivery program but never looked into it

kollel wife

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 2:21 pm
I think kosher west is very expensive, but I'm not sure about the discount.

Do you have space to stock up? Cereal, pasta, tomatoe sauce, chicken, even American cheese.
If you have time before the birth?

Then you would just have to order a few items - uh oh - I think kosher west has a $50 delivery minimum.
But as far as I know they are very expensive. KFS may be the same I'm not sure.

Do you have a neighbor that could sometimes pick up some things - maybe just milk?

If you are home in the mornings with JUST the newborn, by 2-3 weeks you should probably be able to get out to do shopping, b"eh you should just be well and get your kochos back!!

Sorry, not trying to make you feel guilty about spending higher prices - just things are so tight for me right now. I just lost my last bit of food stamps. My income didn't go up, but kids aging out...
I think twice when I buy American cheese even the cheapest brand.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 7:17 pm
op here

Considering my job and my growing family, bli ayin hara, I can't afford to lose two hours a week schlepping to the grocery, so I am looking for a full service place (fruit store on corner of Clifton is probably too small and once Im ordering I want to know that I could get everything I need) to order from that I could rely on for the long term .

Appreciate any info I could get

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 1:49 am
We use farm fresh over on squankum. Free delivery no minimum wich is a great convenience. They do phone/fax/email. I find if I place my order earlier in the day or even the night before I usually get it before afternoon.

mamaleh

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 4:44 am
I know people who shop at Kosher Village. Great people, decent prices (I don't know if you can get the discount on orders). They also have a butcher & a bakery and their produce is usually very nice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics