Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Crib difficulties-need help!!!
1  2  Next

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 9:44 pm
Hi all,
New imamother member and I actually joined for this reason. Wave Need help with a crib issue- my current crib broke and I am looking for a new crib. What cribs do you have and are you happy with it? I want one that won't have a paint-peeling issue, as well as a convertible style (that will go to toddler bed ect when you take off a side.)
I am so frustrated as it is a brand new crib, wasn't cheap, and it broke (manufacturer defect as the store said no one else had this problem but the manufacturer won't return calls... Sad )
Right now my infant is obviously unable to sleep there so we have a borrowed portable crib but the little one doesn't like it as much as the crib and therefore doesn't sleep very well. Any advice will help as I am getting desperate for some sleep as well!!
TIA!!!

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 9:54 pm
First of all, welcome to a fellow Ducky!

No advice on what to get instead, but you said the crib is brand new — wouldn't the store take it back? Exchange it? If you paid by credit card you may be able to contest the charge because you purchased a defective item.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 10:11 pm
Hi fellow Ducky-Quack!!
To explain further, I bought it from Babies R Us and they will give me store credit when I bring it back. I bought it with gift cards I was given when my little one was born so I can't dispute credit card charges. But I don't want the same crib I had, especially after the lack of customer service the manufacturer has shown! So while I will prefer a crib that can be bought at babies r us, I will look at others as I will eventually use up the credit buying all the various necessities of babyhood, like car seats ...I think the credit there doesn't expire.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 11:08 pm
I have a crib by this brand and it has held up beautifully with two kids BH. It looks and feels new Smile http://m.toysrus.com/skava/sta.....s.com

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 12:17 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
I have a crib by this brand and it has held up beautifully with two kids BH. It looks and feels new Smile http://m.toysrus.com/skava/sta.....s.com

Thanks! How was the paint on it? Did it chip easily? One of the major issues with my crib was that the paint just flaked off in many areas (not just where my infant might teethe but all over). There were other things wrong, not just cosmetic issues, some safety issues were involved. Do you have the name for the crib you bought? Did you use anything to protect the sides?

Has anyone used a crib by "Baby Cache"? It's really expensive and don't want to spend that kind of money, but it was the only brand that had cribs that didn't have thick paint all over it.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 12:23 am
I don't think mine has any paint, just stain on the wood. I recently noticed that the inside of the front rail appears to be scratched, I guess from my kids doing whatever to it. But nothing visible from the outside, and I didn't put any protector. I don't think my kids ever chewed on it though... Not sure what model I have, I got it 4 years ago Smile

rachel6543

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 1:31 am
I didn't use with my son, but I've heard good things about the ikea brand cribs. I think they have some models that $99 or less. If you end up buying a crib at another store, you'll still use your credit for car seats, diapers...etc.

Something to think about, but I don't think it's necessary to get a convertible crib. You can always get a toddler bed for $50 that will use the same crib mattress.

I had a convertible crib for my son. Didn't end up liking it and it was a bad experience with the toddler bed conversion (long story). Eventually we got a toddler bed - it was a Disney cars one- and that worked out great for my son. We ended up getting the toddler bed brand new for free (but I've seen it for $50 on amazon), and it worked out really well. It fit the crib mattress, was much smaller than the crib and took up less room. Plus my son who is obsessed with cars LOVED his cars bed. My son just outgrew his toddler bed. We had kept the box it came it and it only took me a few minutes to take apart the toddler bed. I'm keeping it stored in the garage for our (hopefully) future kids.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 1:42 am
Anyone buy a crib from target?they have the davinci ones for less than BRU. With the conversion kit for toddlers. Anyone have that crib?

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 1:54 am
Rachel6543,
Thanks, but a relative of mine has an ikea one and it broke easily. I like ikea stuff, just a crib makes me nervous... First time mommy fears, I guess (they are more rickety and probably won't last-pressed wood pulp isn't too strong). Desks, dressers, and the like, no problem. I even like building their stuff but I just won't do a crib. Plus I already have the mattress and ikea tends to use different dimensions.

I like the convertible ones as the mattress moves up and down as well. I plan on using the crib for future kids (Iy"H!!) but right now we don't have space for a toddler bed and to store the crib. When we need the crib as a crib again, we hopefully will be in a slightly bigger place and can have the toddler bed then. Or just a real bed with removable rails...we don't have a garage or much storage at all. We need things to be multipurpose...

mummy123

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 3:07 am
I know you said you wanted convertible and that you didn't think the ikea cots would be strong enough but just wanted to chime in and say I have 2 ikea cots. 1 is over 7 years old and has been used by 5 children (my sil lent it to me) and the other is over 3 years old. They are both still standing strong!

mummy123

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 3:09 am
And wanted to add that the ikea cot is narrower than others so doesn't take up loads of room and sells at a great price!

amother

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 3:50 am
we use a no - name 35 year old 5th hand crib, which was used for 8 kids and it is totally fine. however if this one was to break (which I really dont hope!!!) Id buy an ikea crib. most of our neighours use HENSVIK GULLIVER or STUVA and they are very happy with them. The only problem some mention is that Ikeas cribs are a little smaller than the regular cribs.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 7:57 am
I have a couple of friends with davinci cribs and they're not super great quality.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 10:45 am
MaBelleVie,
Can you please elaborate more? What is wrong/bad about them? They top most of the lists I have read online...
Crib buying is so confusing!

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 11:00 am
LittleDucky wrote:
MaBelleVie,
Can you please elaborate more? What is wrong/bad about them? They top most of the lists I have read online...
Crib buying is so confusing!

The ones my friends have are all scratched up. Maybe a coincidence, but maybe they scratch easily? I dunno

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 11:36 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
The ones my friends have are all scratched up. Maybe a coincidence, but maybe they scratch easily? I dunno

Is the paint peeling (dangerous) or is it cosmetic?
Thanks!

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 11:46 am
I have no idea Smile

busydev

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 12:14 pm
My 11mo is in a portacrib. we bought a thicker mattress (3" I think- bought it for my older son about 2.5 years ago) and that is much more comfortable then the flimsy 1" mattress that the crib comes with. Unless you have a tall baby they can last in there for awhile. (my almost 3yo sometimes likes to nap in there and I have had him in similar sized cribs/packnplays when we are away)

suzyq

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 12:16 pm
We have Da Vinci cribs and I'm very happy with them. My 2-1/2 year old sleeps in his as a toddler bed and my 13 month old still has it as a crib. They do scratch somewhat easily (I see teeth marks) but they are sturdy and holding up nicely. We plan to use them until we can put both kids in the same room and do bunk beds.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Aug 06 2014, 1:49 pm
suzyq wrote:
We have Da Vinci cribs and I'm very happy with them. My 2-1/2 year old sleeps in his as a toddler bed and my 13 month old still has it as a crib. They do scratch somewhat easily (I see teeth marks) but they are sturdy and holding up nicely. We plan to use them until we can put both kids in the same room and do bunk beds.

Do you know what type/style or does it not matter in that they are all made the same way? Does the color matter (if you have different colors)? I was thinking of getting A rail cover to prevent teeth marks...
Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics