Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Bunk beds

acccdac

Post Thu, Aug 14 2014, 2:03 pm
I am looking into buying bunk beds for my boys, 11 and 8.

They will be in these beds until they go away for yeshiva (unless I win the lottery!)

Is the only difference between the full/full and twin/twin the space that it takes up?
I am hesitant to buy a full/twin set because then I need to know which size linen goes where. Then again maybe the "advantage" of taking the bottom bunk is that you get a wider bed?

anyone have any experiences to share?

zaq

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 10:21 pm
Why would you even consider buying full-size beds for your children? A twin size isn't luxurious enough?

acccdac

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 11:37 pm
zaq wrote:
Why would you even consider buying full-size beds for your children? A twin size isn't luxurious enough?

I would consider buying but there are a lot of bunk beds that are made with a full at the bottom. I don't know why the makers would do that so I'm asking what the advantages would be.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 12:25 am
Just because something is sold in stores doesn't mean it's worthwhile. I assume you're looking at bunk beds because space is at a premium in your home. If your boys look like they're going to be very tall, say over six foot, you may want to get an extra-long twin, which is longer but the same width as a standard twin, but buying a full-size bed makes no sense at all.

I recommend This End Up, which unfortunately sells only online and not in stores. Their stuff is neither very inexpensive nor especially stylish, but it's solid wood, very sturdy and well-made, and perfect for a boys' room. Their bunk beds can be separated into regular twin beds if your living arrangements should change. If you're picky about mattresses, you can buy mattresses elsewhere and just buy the frames from them, since they have zero selection when it comes to mattresses. If you want your boys to be able to have overnight guests, you can buy a trundle bed that fits under the lower bunk. If not, you can buy drawers to go underneath.

I don't work for or have any connection to This End Up. I did, however, buy two sets of TEU bunk beds some 20 years ago when my children were young, and only recently passed them along, in excellent condition, to another young family.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics