Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Guest Cat Hangin' in Litter Box & Other Q's

amother

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 10:25 am
I became a kitty "foster parent" two weeks ago for an adorable little male cat whose parents house was just damaged. He needs a place to stay till things get cleaned up.

He is a cute little guy, b'h he is neutered litter box trained, and is adjusting to his temporary new home pretty well. I'm writing because he likes to sit in his litter box and right next to his litter box. It is in a large closet, but has it's own little area, like a private bathroom. All the previous cats I've had wanted nothing to do with the litter box when they weren't doing business. He isn't peeing or pooping more than other cats and doesn't seem to be constipated. According to his parents, he doesn't have any bladder issues (I asked). He will spend hours outside of the box, particularly when there's someone home. There are ample hiding spots near the l.b. that are also dark and quiet. I don't want to try to get him away from the litter box, but I have offered him treats for coming out and sitting on his cat tree and in his cat cave.

He does this particularly when there's no one around, when I come home at night and when I wake up he's always in the l.b. I can't understand why anyone as clean as a cat would want to sit in a toilet! I have no other cats at the moment, or dogs and other animals around. Additionally, there are no children that could be bothering him. I'm super curious about this, and am loathe to bring it up to his parents because they are experiencing enough difficulties right now and he isn't in bad health or anything. Could this be a sign of something serious? Or am I overreacting and he just likes to hang out by the toilet?

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Aug 19 2014, 10:48 am
amother wrote:
I became a kitty "foster parent" two weeks ago for an adorable little male cat whose parents house was just damaged. He needs a place to stay till things get cleaned up.

He is a cute little guy, b'h he is neutered litter box trained, and is adjusting to his temporary new home pretty well. I'm writing because he likes to sit in his litter box and right next to his litter box. It is in a large closet, but has it's own little area, like a private bathroom. All the previous cats I've had wanted nothing to do with the litter box when they weren't doing business. He isn't peeing or pooping more than other cats and doesn't seem to be constipated. According to his parents, he doesn't have any bladder issues (I asked). He will spend hours outside of the box, particularly when there's someone home. There are ample hiding spots near the l.b. that are also dark and quiet. I don't want to try to get him away from the litter box, but I have offered him treats for coming out and sitting on his cat tree and in his cat cave.

He does this particularly when there's no one around, when I come home at night and when I wake up he's always in the l.b. I can't understand why anyone as clean as a cat would want to sit in a toilet! I have no other cats at the moment, or dogs and other animals around. Additionally, there are no children that could be bothering him. I'm super curious about this, and am loathe to bring it up to his parents because they are experiencing enough difficulties right now and he isn't in bad health or anything. Could this be a sign of something serious? Or am I overreacting and he just likes to hang out by the toilet?

I've seen this is shelters, and it's a comfort/behavioral thing and NOT something physiological. the box is a familiar place--he's been there before, he's marked it, he feels safe there.

please don't worry!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets