Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
"Piggybacking" a wireless connection

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 9:17 pm
I've heard there's nothing illegal about tapping into your neighbor's wireless connection and using it, but is there anything about it against halacha? Has anyone asked?
thanks.

withhumor

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 9:19 pm
I’ve never asked. If you’re piggybacking someone’s connection heavily, they will realize and call someone to lock you out, case closed. If someone leaves their water sprinkler open, are you allowed to wash your hands from it?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 9:22 pm
I'm not worried about using it a lot (just regular internet) and I don't plan on breaking into their computer systems... I know they can lock you out, but because I live in Brooklyn, there are several people in my neighborhood...is it OK?

Twizzlers

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 9:24 pm
I dont see y there should be anything wrong with it; you are not using anything up, or racking up their bill...

ssbarnes

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 9:30 pm
You are using their bandwidth, which is something that they are paying for. By my definition, that is stealing.

I have my wireless network secured for just that reason.

withhumor

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 9:30 pm
Today’s day, most providers charge a flat rate so you’re not racking up their bill. If they’re working on a time slot, don’t worry – they wouldn’t leave their connection open.

mumoo

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 2:23 am
Twizzlers wrote:
I dont see y there should be anything wrong with it; you are not using anything up, or racking up their bill...

it's stealing from the company. totally usser

Marion

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 4:30 am
mumoo wrote:
Twizzlers wrote:

So what do you do about wireless connections that your computer automatically picks up? I don't use wireless usually, but I know that every so often my networks show one is active (and in use!). It's got to be from a neighbour.

And I'd like to know how it's stealing from a company. Most wireless networks are set up by buying a router and a single internet connection (hi-speed). By your comment, I would think that not paying for every room in the house to have its own connection would be stealing. Once the wireless network is installed, there's no limit to the number of computers that can be connected to it, as long as it doesn't exceed the bandwidth allowance.

It *might* be stealing from the neighbour if the fact that you're using it means that he can't.

MMEC123

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 9:27 am
We just asked our neighbors' permission and they don't mind at all.

withhumor

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 9:33 am
if they mind, they shoudl block it. it takes 1 call to belkin, they help you on the phone.

mumoo

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 11:14 am
Marion wrote:
mumoo wrote:
Twizzlers wrote:

So what do you do about wireless connections that your computer automatically picks up?

not your intent, not your problem

Marion wrote:
And I'd like to know how it's stealing from a company. Most wireless networks are set up by buying a router and a single internet connection (hi-speed). By your comment, I would think that not paying for every room in the house to have its own connection would be stealing. Once the wireless network is installed, there's no limit to the number of computers that can be connected to it, as long as it doesn't exceed the bandwidth allowance.

if you take from your neighbor that's two customers benefitting, and one customer paying the company.
if a cable company, for example, charges for each room connection, each room has to be paid for. a wireless connection covers any connection the PAYING customer uses

Marion wrote:
It *might* be stealing from the neighbour if the fact that you're using it means that he can't.

without his permission there's no 'maybe' about stealing
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics