Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Asking potential employee to pay for police check

amother

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 4:11 am
I have a friend who was interviewed yesterday for work as a carer for the elderly (by an agency). They asked her to get a police check which she needs to pay for (₤70 - in England). They have not offered her a specific job, and they didn't mention one.

Does it sound right that she should have to pay for this? I advised her to ask them if they have a specific job in mind and hear details to find out if it even suits her. Maybe they just want her on the books, and want the paperwork ready? Is it normal that this has to come out of her pocket?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 4:17 am
I think that these days, with all the liability they carry, that they really have to do the check.

Whether she pays or the agency pays, I don't know. I think some agencies add the cost of the check to their placement fees, so you end up paying for it one way or another.

She could always ask them for the full details of the assignment, and agree to pay for the check once they've secured a potential position for her.

invisiblecircus

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 5:34 am
When I worked in the UK, the employer always paid for the check.

With an agency I'd be worried about paying for the check then never hearing from them again, or at least finding out that that they were never likely to have anything suitable for me.

imasinger

Post Thu, Sep 04 2014, 7:14 am
That is pretty expensive. I would suggest calling other agencies and asking their policy, to get a sense of whether this is an industry standard.

It probably is a one time thing that any agency can check the official record.

DS did pay for his police check this summer (US), when he got a summer job working at a camp connected to our public schools. And even that was not done when I last looked into such things; employers used to cover it.

But at least it was after he was hired.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics