Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Look horrible with no makeup over a 3 day yom tov
Previous  1  2  3

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 4:51 am
amother wrote:
Im surprised no one liked the spray tan option.
All you pale amothers: why wouldn't you spray tan?

Because pale is more beautiful

proudmother1

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 5:22 am
Maya wrote:
You're contradicting yourself.
If people should be comfortable in their own skin, why do you work so hard to keep in shape? Why is your maintaining a good figure so you can feel good more "allowed" than my wanting to wear makeup so that I can feel good?

You obviously want to be skinny and wear nice clothes. Where is this complex coming from?

Maya, I'm utterly confused. What do you mean by "allowed"?
I work hard to maintain my body that Hashem gave me. Yes. Where does complex come into the picture?
I am in no way saying that a woman should not look her best. I said in my original post that I wear make-up myself.
My point is that when a woman can not enjoy yom tov, and stresses about her inability to wear make-up for 3 days, then its wrong. And I maintain that its an unhealthy obsession that comes from insecurity.

chani8

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 8:10 am
ra_mom wrote:
http://www.reflectionscosmetics.com/catalog_c45956.html

Reflections shabbat.

In contrast to what they say, I learned that you're not allowed to darken an existing color, so I would have to have a clean face to start with. Also, my DD was told any powdered makeup is fine, no special brand is necessary.

Just for clarity, there are two solutions to this makeup problem. Long lasting, staining makeup that you put on before Shobbos, and/or, powdered makeup made for application on Shobbos, that needs to be pre-prepared.

Why cant we use our finger to apply the powder?

JollyMommy

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 8:50 am
Urban Decay makes a makeup setting spray which works very well. I use it every Friday- put all your makeup on except mascara, spray your whole face, wait a minute then put mascara.

Also, by far the best lipstick for staying on is Armani. Yes, it's expensive but you can't compare even to MAC.

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 9:20 am
proudmother1 wrote:
Maya, I'm utterly confused. What do you mean by "allowed"?
I work hard to maintain my body that Hashem gave me. Yes. Where does complex come into the picture?
I am in no way saying that a woman should not look her best. I said in my original post that I wear make-up myself.
My point is that when a woman can not enjoy yom tov, and stresses about her inability to wear make-up for 3 days, then its wrong. And I maintain that its an unhealthy obsession that comes from insecurity.

When a woman obsesses about what she can or can't eat in order to maintain her body figure, that's healthy and not from a place of insecurity?

I don't know, we must have different perspectives, because I don't see makeup as any different than dieting and working out in order to look good. Same thing to me.

redroses

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 9:41 am
I've found false eyelashes to be helpful. You look like you are wearing mascara as well as an upper lid eyeliner. This doesnt make you look like you are wearing a full face of makeup, but for those who look better with eye makeup, this really works.

dare2dream

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:03 am
redroses wrote:
I've found false eyelashes to be helpful. You look like you are wearing mascara as well as an upper lid eyeliner. This doesnt make you look like you are wearing a full face of makeup, but for those who look better with eye makeup, this really works.

I thought false eyelashes don't stay on overnight. I heard that they can come off pretty easily. It wouldn't be so helpful for a 3 day yom tov.

proudmother1

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:04 am
Maya wrote:
When a woman obsesses about what she can or can't eat in order to maintain her body figure, that's healthy and not from a place of insecurity?

I don't know, we must have different perspectives, because I don't see makeup as any different than dieting and working out in order to look good. Same thing to me.

No, Maya. You have a huge complex. I know it by your defensiveness.
Did anyone here see me writing about obsessing about eating? Please!
You jumped on it because you wanted to see it that way. It made you feel better.

With that being said, I will exit this thread gracefully. We are obviously on two separate fields.

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:07 am
proudmother1 wrote:
No, Maya. You have a huge complex. I know it by your defensiveness.
Did anyone here see me writing about obsessing about eating? Please!
You jumped on it because you wanted to see it that way. It made you feel better.

Lol.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:18 am
I just keep my sunglasses on for 3 days, in and out.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:22 am
I use bareminerals powder makeup on shabbos. I use their powder foundation, which is GREAT and works just as well as liquid foundation plus concealer plus powder, except it doesn't last very long, which is why I guess it is muttar for Shabbos. I also use their powder eyeshadow and blush. It would be nice if they can invent Shabbos mascara, but meanwhile, bareminerals is enough for me to even out my skin tone and give me some color.

I agree that it would be nice to feel just as good without makeup as with. But it is easy for someone with good skin to say that. Not so easy to feel great with acne scarring and discoloration.

I am able to feel good with no makeup these days, but during pregnancies or when I was in my twenties when my skin was bad, I felt really self conscious. It takes a very special form of confidence to feel the same with good skin as with bad skin.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:41 am
Am I the only one who is going into y't wihtout a stitch of makeup cuz its mikvah night!?!?!??!!? agghh

I am so distraught. I am always wearing even minimal make up because I have red, splotchy complexion.

I am goign to be by friends for r"h so it's going to be comopletey obvious that it's Mikvah night.

I'm dreading having to present myself iin my bare, unattractive state- it seriously kills my confidence to go out as is - with my terrible acne prone skin :'(

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:49 am
amother wrote:
Am I the only one who is going into y't wihtout a stitch of makeup cuz its mikvah night!?!?!??!!? agghh

I am so distraught. I am always wearing even minimal make up because I have red, splotchy complexion.

I am goign to be by friends for r"h so it's going to be comopletey obvious that it's Mikvah night.

I'm dreading having to present myself iin my bare, unattractive state- it seriously kills my confidence to go out as is - with my terrible acne prone skin :'(

RH is not for a couple of weeks. How are you so sure about this?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 10:52 am
I am always min 2 weeks and I got my period tonight Sad

busydev

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
I am always min 2 weeks and I got my period tonight Sad

can you arrive at your friends house late and "omg I forgot to put on my makeup?" shortly after shkia?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:45 am
everonthego wrote:
I thought false eyelashes don't stay on overnight. I heard that they can come off pretty easily. It wouldn't be so helpful for a 3 day yom tov.
wouldn't she be able to put on a new set of falsies each morning of yom tov? Provided thatthe adhesive wouldn't be a problem halachiclly

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 11:48 am
amother wrote:
Not op, but Does anyone know where to get semi permanent make up done around lakewood?

There is a salon on Hooper Ave near the DMV that does it...

amother

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 12:48 pm
amother wrote:
There is a salon on Hooper Ave near the DMV that does it...

Do you have a name or phone number for the salon?

sprayonlove

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 3:05 pm
I third the spray tan idea its kindof like foundation so it will even out your skin and give you that tan glow. I also like the false eyelashes idea too.

What I do that works for me is I put on concealer (hard candy glamoflauge), a bunch of coats of waterproof mascara (loreal), fill in my eyebrows with a pencil, and when I have time I put eyeshadow (maybelline 24 hr color tattoo eyeshadow - this really works I love it) and sometimes I use maybelline 24 lipstick (It's not 24 hrs, it definitely washes off by seudah shlishit. And it dries my lips out so I have to use tons of chapstick for a few days after shabbos. But sometimes I still use it anyway.) Shabbos morning before shul I dust a translucent powder over my undereyes and any other redness/blemishes/uneveness. Its not perfect, but its better than nothing!

Also - as a side note I also do not even go a day without makeup as I have horrible dark undereye circles. BUT I discovered from toveling on Friday night a few times that I actually felt cleaner, more fresh and less of that icky, gross almost-the-end-of-shabbos feeling when I was makeup free.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 12:08 am
Pink Quartz minerals on Etsy has wonderful mineral powder makeup. Doree is a friend of mine. Tell her Rivkasmom sent you!

Kat Von D makeup is extremely long lasting and excellent quality. Her tattoo cover cream works really well for red spots and dark circles.

For very bad skin, go to a high end department store and talk to a Dermablend consultant. Their makeup is pretty much guaranteed to last 3 days or more. You'll want to buy a special remover from them as well. They specialize in scars, burns, vitiligo, and other severe conditions, so they'll be very kind and non judgmental with you.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics