Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Anyone a teacher, or know a teacher, in Massachusetts?

Yocheved84

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 11:19 am
I'm looking to contact a school to ask if any of their students or teachers would be willing to tutor on the side for extra money. If you know of someone, please PM me.

(I was going to look for and call a local BY school myself this morning, but if I had a contact, it might be easier.)

ora_43

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 11:22 am
Yocheved84 wrote:
I'm looking to contact a school to ask if any of their students or teachers would be willing to tutor on the side for extra money. If you know of someone, please PM me.

(I was going to look for and call a local BY school myself this morning, but if I had a contact, it might be easier.)

Massachusetts is a small state but not that small. Are you talking Jewish schools? Frum schools? High schools? Any schools? Boston area? Springfield? Etc....

Liba

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 11:24 am
Ora, I was going to say just about the same thing. Which part of Massachusetts are you looking for?
Kodesh or chol?

Yocheved84

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 7:58 am
Thank you both for answering. I forgot to click the "notify me when a reply is posted" so I thought people forgot about me!! Thank you, you two, for your answers Smile

I'm looking for someone who speaks Yiddish in the Boston area to assist in tutoring. I would prefer someone who has background in teaching, since as a teacher myself, I know how to present information to students. I called a girls BY school yesterday and e-mailed another, but nobody got back to me. At this point, if there was a student looking to make extra money, that would work, too. (Along with money, I'd feed the student an after-school snack, would make sure that DH and I drive her home, etc. I'd also travel to the person's house.)

I'm assuming, like NYC, that there are frum women who speak Yiddish at home but teach in public schools. There are also frum women who teach in frum schools...So basically, I'm looking for anyone who speaks Yiddish and is looking for extra money in helping someone with issues of Yiddish grammar.

Do you know of someone who teaches up in Boston? Maybe they know someone? My own attempts have gone nowhere, which is why I really need the help in reaching out to people. (I can' t fail out of here....)

Liba

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 8:14 am
My husband and I are from Boston and neither of us can think of anyone who speaks Yiddish except the Bostoner Rebbe's children who speak a bit. I am not sure that they speak enough to tutor in Yiddish though.

Maybe there is a community kollel member who speaks some Yiddish. The secretary of Rofe's parents may have spoken Yiddish, and she is a macher so we can try to ask her if she knows of anyone.

I can also try to ask my MIL if she knows anyone. She is here in E"Y right now but lives in Boston.

Finding a Yiddish speaking tutor in Boston is nothing like finding one in Brooklyn. Finding a tutor in Boston, even not in Yiddish, isn't an undertaking since the pool of available people is so much smaller.

If you don't hear from me in the next day or so please feel free to PM me and remind me. I have a lot going on and don't want to forget you if you still need help.

It is possible that there is someone else here that can help without researching so much though.

Hatlzacha!

Yocheved84

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 8:16 am
Thank you, Liba. You are so sweet. Yes--you are so right. When I was at home, I heard Yiddish on the streets. Here, umm, not so much!!

gryp

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 9:05 am
Yocheved84 wrote:
Thank you both for answering. I forgot to click the "notify me when a reply is posted" so I thought people forgot about me!! Thank you, you two, for your answers Smile

I'm looking for someone who speaks Yiddish in the Boston area to assist in tutoring. I would prefer someone who has background in teaching, since as a teacher myself, I know how to present information to students. I called a girls BY school yesterday and e-mailed another, but nobody got back to me. At this point, if there was a student looking to make extra money, that would work, too. (Along with money, I'd feed the student an after-school snack, would make sure that DH and I drive her home, etc. I'd also travel to the person's house.)

I'm assuming, like NYC, that there are frum women who speak Yiddish at home but teach in public schools. There are also frum women who teach in frum schools...So basically, I'm looking for anyone who speaks Yiddish and is looking for extra money in helping someone with issues of Yiddish grammar.

Do you know of someone who teaches up in Boston? Maybe they know someone? My own attempts have gone nowhere, which is why I really need the help in reaching out to people. (I can' t fail out of here....)

I have relatives around Boston who speak Yiddish plenty. They don't live in the actual city but are in and out frequently.

aidelmaidel

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 10:16 am
I know this is out on a limb but UMass Amherst Judaic Studies department (where they have Yiddish language courses and the National Yiddish Book Center (in Amherst on the Hampshire College campus), are both good places to start - perhaps they have alumni in the Boston area who might be able to offer tutoring. I can't guarantee they'll be frum, but they'll definitely speak Yiddish. Also have you thought to contact the local chabad shluchim? Harvard has a Zarchi I believe and for sure either he or she must speak Yiddish.

UMass Amherst Judaic Studies
Judaic and Near Eastern Studies Department
Telephone: (413) 545-2550
Fax: (413) 545-5876
Email: judaic@judnea.umass.edu
http://www.umass.edu/judaic/co.....ddish

National Yiddish Book Center
http://www.yiddishbookcenter.org/
The Yiddish Book Center
Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Building
1021 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002
Phone/Fax
Telephone: 413-256-4900
Fax: 413-256-4700

The Chabad House at Harvard
http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/chabad/
38-40 Banks Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Tel: 617.547.6124

Liba

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 10:45 am
GR wrote:

I have relatives around Boston who speak Yiddish plenty. They don't live in the actual city but are in and out frequently.

Where? Very Happy I am totally curious now.

I have lived in Brookine, Brighton, Worcester, have relatives in Springfield (which is note near Boston), have friends in Sharon, and never ran into people whose primary language was Yiddish or who spoke it at home.

yaelinIN

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 11:15 am
Liba wrote:
My husband and I are from Boston and neither of us can think of anyone who speaks Yiddish except the Bostoner Rebbe's children who speak a bit. I am not sure that they speak enough to tutor in Yiddish though.

That reminds me -- I remember the first time I met Sarah Sasha, one of the Rebbe's daughters. We were at a Chai Odom Young Singles/Couples Shabbos. A nice looking single girl came up to me and introduced herself as Sarah Sasha. As we were talking, she mentioned she was engaged, so I asked where her chassan lived. She told me Israel. I asked how she met, and she told me her parents introduced her. She then told me that they met three times, but not much was said because he spoke only Yiddish and Hebrew and she spoke English, some Yiddish, and some Hebrew. I then realized that she wasn't like the rest of us there at the table. I was lucky enough to be in E"Y to attend her wedding -- that was an experience I will never forget!! I hope she is well.

Yael
PS please vote for Daniel http://www.jewishcommunityhero.....rich/

gryp

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 11:18 am
I'll PM you, Liba.

Yocheved84

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 12:48 pm
Thank you everyone, for the tips and advice. I am beyond appreciative. What a beautiful day on Imamother today, nu?

yaelinIN

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 3:01 pm
Brandeis has teachers of Yiddish there but I assume you want someone frum and I cannot say whether their teachers are...

PS Please vote!
http://www.jewishcommunityhero.....rich/

Tziril Miriam

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 11:57 pm
There is a Yiddish School for children and adults in Brookline:

The Workmen's Circle
1762 Beacon St
Brookline, MA
(It's a block or so just past the Bostonner Rebbe.)

tel 617-566-6281
email: info@circleboston.org

Good luck. And have a sweet New Year.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 12:02 am
Tziril Miriam, this thread is four years old Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics