Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What are your Pesach dishes/flatware like?
Previous  1  2

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 10 2007, 10:53 pm
I forget in which rov's name did I hear that kashering the oven means running it through 2 self cleaning cycles . . . until this year, we only had a regular oven and we cleaned it, let it sit the 24 hours, and then cranked up the heat for the longest we had used it . . . self cleaning is quite different, the heat is so much more intense.

When we first got married I asked Rov Altein in the Bronx how to kasher and what to cover. Of course we always rented old places which meant we couldn't nec. cover the fridge shelves, for example, and expect the fridge to cool properly . . . we couldn't always follow the most machmir opinion . . .

PinkandYellow

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 3:31 am
we will use real for the seder (b"H only one in il) and plastic the rest of pesach. when I got married I got a set of 16 of china (white with a gold rim) but used them on a need to basis, so I have quite a few settings sitting unused in a box somewhere which I'll pull out for pesach and then keep sep for pesach as this is our 1st year making pesach. besides for that we cannot kasher our oven, I'm pretty mad about it bec its easier to use disposable pans, but I wll need to buy a few pots and pans and cooking utensils. if anyone has an idea of what is basic to buy to make yom tov, we are not having any guests but everything needs to be done on the stove top, please post a list here of what you think.
thanks.

ssbarnes

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 8:59 am
A friend went to Italy and gave us this gorgeous set of handblown glasses that are handpainted with gold. I completely forgot about them until I found them while cleaning for Pesach.

I am going to pick up some gold chargers to use for the Seder so the glasses match and dress up the plain dishes we have.

Marion

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 10:33 am
My milchig set is from Tupperware (but it's not plastic, melmac maybe?)...purple and sage green dishes. We have cheap green handled cutlery to "match".

My fleishig set is rose patterned...I have to pick it up tonight. I figured for 40 shekel (less than $10, for service for 6), I could have nice fleishig dishes. Our flatware is stainless steel.

We got a ton of pots and flatware when we got married, so the only thing we bought were the fleishig dishes themselves. I even put away a couple of the tablecloths from the wedding, and I had the seder stuff (matzah cover, kos Eliyahu, and seder plate) from when I made seder when I was single.

ChavieK

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 10:46 am
I didn't make Pesach until we had a pretty large family. So the first year I had to buy lots of pots,serving pieces etc.That year I kasher the silverware.I had for milchig from a wedding present in the attic.Then I bought silverware ,a lot, figuring some pieces get lost or not having to wash on fri night.I always used plastic until last year ds asked if we could get dishes & he would wash.

Mishie

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 12:08 pm
We also use disposable dishes for Pesach.
I do have quite a few pots and frying pans though.
and a set of cutlery for Milchig and for Fleishig.
Lots of large plastic bowls and stainless steel bowls for mixing salads, and for using with the hand mixer. My hand mixer is my life-saver during Pesach, use it for Ice-creams, cakes, cookies, and even for the famous yummy egg-noodles.
Oh, and the food-processor. (for Charoset and vegetarian chopped-liver. MMMMMMM I'm getting hungry just thinking about all the good Pesach food).

mumoo

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 11:23 pm
because the rest of the year is blue and white only (blue for fleish; I know I've been told we are ruining it for everyone else) I chose two other colors for Pesach. Fleish is purple, milchik is yellow. I only buy items if they come in these colors. Plasticware around this time of year is very easy to find in these 'spring' colors. For sedarim, we either go out or use paper because the everyday is plastic and there is only for eight. This winter I found really pretty china plates and soup bowls in white with big spring flowers on the border. I was able to get service for like 35 - at the dollar store (I posted this somewhere else, I remember) We are going away this pesach, tho, so I won't even get to use it. And I didn't buy glass or flatware anyway.

shayna82

Post Sun, Mar 11 2007, 11:31 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
BasHinda, I have a separate, decorated tablecloth for Pesach, which I suppose isn't minhag Lub either - most ppl go for a plain white tablecloth, right? Mine is full of orange, blue and yellow flowers......so my plates have to be pretty plain to match - not that I can't just wash a white tablecloth or buy something new, but I look forward to it every year !!!

Anyway, I constantly look at dishes when I'm out and about, and hate most patterns . . .I grew up with nice glassware so I guess that's what I'm used to!

Shayna, do you really think the price is okay? It's per plate and per bowl, not per set - I don't want a set anyway, I find for Pesach we need a just medium sized plates and a nice big soup bowl . . . I'm not really sure what things cost, I see such a variety of prices these days!

I think if your getting the plate and bowl, even if your getting 10 of each, its stiill reasonable compared to such brands as lenox, mikasa...

dr pepper

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 10:20 am
I have always used plastic, for yom tov and year round. China was never affordable, but now I saw a set online for $200 which seems like a good deal. Anyone know about this?

http://www.amazon.com/Mikasa-P.....=1-39

Since we don't have for year round either, I'm considering buying and using it for Pesach, and then just keeping it for chometz.

As for flatware, always plastic, but if we use china this year, I will be kashering out stainless steel set that is supposedly for year round use, but just sits in our closet untouched.

bashinda

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 10:56 am
chocolate moose wrote:
BasHinda, I have a separate, decorated tablecloth for Pesach, which I suppose isn't minhag Lub either - most ppl go for a plain white tablecloth, right? Mine is full of orange, blue and yellow flowers......so my plates have to be pretty plain to match - not that I can't just wash a white tablecloth or buy something new, but I look forward to it every year !!!

Anyway, I constantly look at dishes when I'm out and about, and hate most patterns . . .I grew up with nice glassware so I guess that's what I'm used to!

Shayna, do you really think the price is okay? It's per plate and per bowl, not per set - I don't want a set anyway, I find for Pesach we need a just medium sized plates and a nice big soup bowl . . . I'm not really sure what things cost, I see such a variety of prices these days!

go with glassware then and use it in good health. my regular year tablecloth isn't plain white either.

btw, I just started "cleaning" my nice china in my oven btw. I forgot the dishes were there and decided it needed a good clean. nothing looks broken. yet. I will now think "gam zu le tovah" shock

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 1:06 pm
I have heard that the minhag is to use all white dishes, but I never liked such plain stuff . . . I suppose it's elegent, though

amother

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 8:04 pm
ChocolateMoose, I have a question about the dishwasher.The ou web site said to ask about nonstainless dishwashers. I would LOVE to kasher mine. Not that I'm "shopping" for someone to ask, just if I have an idea of who may say yes,& I have some connection to him I may consider asking.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 12 2007, 8:32 pm
It's really hard to answer an anonymous amother.

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Mar 13 2007, 2:06 am
dr pepper wrote:
I have always used plastic, for yom tov and year round. China was never affordable, but now I saw a set online for $200 which seems like a good deal. Anyone know about this?

I'm from ny and when I got married also didn't have a lot of money for china. I went to a (expensive) housewares store in boro park and asked to see their china on sale. I got a really nice set for 8 for $70. can you do something like that? otherwise, this set looks gorgeous, I don't know about the price.

Seraph

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 2:49 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Mine are bright white China with gold rims and don't look as nice as they did when they were new . . . . I have nice gold flatware to match, with the gold stuff peeling off, and nice Arcroc glasses to drink from. I also have heavy silverware for Chol Hamoed, and tons of Tupperware .....

What do you have or wish you had?
I have the fanciest of all- disposable!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics