Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Soooo impressed with Masores... just one problem

amother

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 8:32 am
I heard such wonderful things about Masores in Flatbush, and I also spoke to a few people in the school. They all seemed genuinly nice and really showed interest, as opposed to several other schools I spoke to, who seemed cold and uninterested, like they are doing me a favor talking to me...

Anyway, I really have a good feeling about sending there, the only problem is that I heard that the parent body is flatbushy/fancy... We are very simple people and I dont want my daughters to be the "nebuchs" who dont have everything brand name.

Can anyone who sends there please tell me about the type that send there? Are there also alot of simpler families, or is it a minority? Also, what is the hashkafa of the school, and what a typical masores graduate is like?

TIA

doctorima

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 8:40 am
There certainly are some "simpler" families, but it does have a reputation for being more fashion and brand-conscious than some of the other schools. If you don't want your daughters to feel left out but want a warm and accepting school, maybe consider Lev BY.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Nov 29 2019, 6:42 am
Hi OP, don't know if ur still around... I felt the same way after my interview there. How did it pan out for u? Did u end up sending?

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Nov 29 2019, 7:24 am
Following

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Nov 29 2019, 7:47 am
I know someone who teaches there. I was told that the girls who go there are accustomed to higher standards of living. I was told that nearly everyone goes to Florida for Pesach. This was two years ago that I spoke to this teacher. Ditto with having full-time cleaning help (not that there's anything wrong with full-time cleaning help).

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Nov 29 2019, 8:25 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I know someone who teaches there. I was told that the girls who go there are accustomed to higher standards of living. I was told that nearly everyone goes to Florida for Pesach. This was two years ago that I spoke to this teacher. Ditto with having full-time cleaning help (not that there's anything wrong with full-time cleaning help).

is this in the elementary, hs, or both? I'm specifically wondering about the current younger classes, like preschool etc now that many ppl are leaving bk.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Nov 29 2019, 9:07 am
Hi I don’t know anything about Masores but posting from the perspective of someone who has her daughter in a fancier school. The majority of the girls in my daughters school are the ones who have everything brand name, go on vacations, away for Pesach, moms drive Range Rovers, go to the gym and have a housekeeper. My daughter sees all of that and is embarrassed by my Camry which happens to be 2019 but it’s not enough. She’s self conscious at times and I feel for her but this is our situation. I can tell you my sons went through the same thing and one is very materialistic the other one doesn’t care. He said people don’t believe him when he tells them we don’t have money. I dress my kids very well but not because I pay full price or anything close to that. Sometimes it’s second hand and sometimes it’s something high end paired with a much less expensive item. I don’t do midwinter vacations. My kids felt the difference the most when all their friends are away and we’re home. My circumstances didn’t allow for it.
I really believe it depends on the child in general because I see that 2 out of my 3 kids are very name brand oriented and one is simple and won’t ask or bother me for things while the others are too busy keeping up.
Don’t get me wrong, there are many beautiful aspects of my community including the chesed and strongly family oriented. That’s why I stay here. My kids love doing chesed it’s ingrained in them at this point and they’re part of a community but it comes with a price tag...

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Nov 29 2019, 9:11 am
I send there. It is a fantastic school - very well run with high academic standards. The parent body is generally affluent but certainly not everyone. You will find a few fabulously wealthy people in each class but there are many regular people too. I do not go away for Pesach. I do not have full time cleaning help. My girls fit in just fine and there are many people that are similar. Also, many of the so called super wealthy people are down to earth and nice and approachable. (Some are not but you can find that anywhere.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics