Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Baltimore families and psychotherapy

amother

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 7:33 pm
Is it common for Baltimore families use the services of psychotherapists?

is it common to have one child in the family go for therapy?

Are there effective family therapists?

Of those who do, are there recommendations for competent non-frum therapists, or are non-frum ones frowned upon?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 2:56 pm
I will try to take a stab at this...

Baltimore is a large community. Within a community, you will find all types - some who are okay with psychotherapists and some who aren't. It is not something that people advertise. There are plenty of people who take a child to psychotherapy, but very few are talking about it.

If you are looking for a therapist for your child, you can call JCS - Jewish Counselling Services. I get the feeling that most of their therapists are not frum. THey seem to be part of the Associated.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 3:31 pm
Baltimore aside, why do you care what is done or common? No matter the location and no matter what others think, get your kids what they need.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 3:54 pm
Relief, a mental health referral agency makes referrals to both frum and non frum therapists.My child is currently seeing a non frum therapist they recommended and we are very happy.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 01 2014, 2:53 pm
Are you asking "how common is it?" Because you want to know how easy it will be to find someone for your family?
I think its fairly common. I don't think the ladies are schmoozing about it on line at seven mile market, so its hard to get an idea of hiw many peopke actually use such services.

Regarding drum vs. Non frum,...... I guess it would depend on what the reason for seeking therapy. A kid who needs therapy for anger management is a different situation that a husband and wife who need marriage counseling. And if course, it would depend on the rabbi you speak to.

Rabbi Azriel Hauptman at Relief resources is a good person to talk to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating