Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Math curriculum

pleaseandthankyou

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 11:30 am
Hi,

Since my boys don't get a proper English/math education in their school, I teach them myself. I developed a Language arts curriculum for them but I do not have a math curriculum.

I'm looking for a proper math curriculum starting from Pre k to grade 8.
I know that there are many websites that offer math worksheets or online programs.

I'm looking for a website that has both a math curriculum with a sequence so I can strategically teach them from one concept to the next, but I want them to work with actual worksheets, not on the computer.

To clarify; I need a math program for my boys that follows a sequence but not an online program. I want to print worksheets for them.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

granolamom

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 12:28 pm
check out math mammoth, you might like it. also, if you do like it, you can get the digital version cheaper at homeschoolbuyerscoop.org. I'm not sure if they always have the lower price or it goes on sale sometimes, but either way, its a nice curriculum. you can either get it by grade level or by topic plus there are a ton of youtube videos that show you how to teach certain concepts. you can buy the printed books or the digital where you'd print your own pages.

www.mathmammoth.com

HappytoHS

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 12:43 pm
Math Mammoth is quite good.

Another excellent program is Mep Math:
http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/.

It is a complete math curriculum available online that can be printed out and done in hard copy, it is totally free and have I mentioned it is excellent? I would be using it more except that it is heavy on teacher/parent involvement and that wasn't working for us as much as I had wanted. I do plan to return to this when my littler kids are ready for formal math.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 1:17 pm
My son isn't homeschooled but he's in a diff grade for math than his peers so he does khan academy. You're not looking for an online program but if you change your mind khan is very cool and sequenced nicely and you as the parent can see what skills are mastered etc.

pleaseandthankyou

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 7:25 pm
thanks for your responses! I'm checking em out..

Twinsmommy: yes Kahn academy is a great program indeed..

any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

nicole81

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 7:48 pm
New York State has their entire math curriculum online and can be found at engageny.org

Every single module and lesson is there, with additional student exercises that can be printed out. Answers are there too since the teacher's version is online. Do keep in mind though that it is Common Core aligned so it may be very different to what you're used to seeing, however it is a quality curriculum.

pleaseandthankyou

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 9:14 pm
HappytoHS wrote:
Math Mammoth is quite good.

Another excellent program is Mep Math:
http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/.

It is a complete math curriculum available online that can be printed out and done in hard copy, it is totally free and have I mentioned it is excellent? I would be using it more except that it is heavy on teacher/parent involvement and that wasn't working for us as much as I had wanted. I do plan to return to this when my littler kids are ready for formal math.

How would you compare the 2 programs? I mean the content of the materials

HappytoHS

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 5:13 am
pleaseandthankyou wrote:
How would you compare the 2 programs? I mean the content of the materials

Content-wise they are both very strong programs. There are significant differences in the way each program approaches the math conceptually and the way each program progresses through topics (mastery vs. spiral) as well as the method of instruction. These are areas where you need to get to know your child's learning style and also your own needs and availability. A benefit of both of these programs is that you can try them out relatively painlessly. MEP is free and MM can be bought and downloaded by topic so you can give it a try for very little money (like $5 or less per topic book usually) and see how you and your children take to it without investing big money.

Here are some links to a homeschooling forum where both of these programs are discussed. You can glean a lot of information this way about the strengths/drawbacks of each program from parents who have used them:
http://forums.welltrainedmind......moth/

I found those by searching for "mep vs math mammoth" but if you want more info about each one just search the forum for each individual one. Warning: prepare for overwhelm Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 5:30 am
Just make sure you stay far, FAR away from Common Core. That stuff is pure EVIL! Exploding anger

I hate it with every fiber of my being. I'm going to try and get DD's IEP to state that they have to teach her "old fashioned" math, because the work she brings home is enough to make Einstein cry.

nylon

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 6:53 am
A great deal of what's being trumpeted as "Common core math" is no such thing. Common Core specifies goals and skills, not methods.

What publishers did was slap CCSS on the textbooks and jig some content. The Math Wars over methods goes back to the late '90s and the same curricula that were being used--badly--are still being used. In 2007, friends with elementary school kids were screaming about the homework their kids were coming home with when their schools switched to Everyday Math and TERC Investigations and how their kids didn't understand algorithms. (In fact, districts in your area, FF, including yours, had a lot of protests over these curricula, and EDM was trashed.)

My daughter's school uses Math Expressions; my friend's daughter's uses Everyday Math. Both books have "CCSS aligned" on the cover. They are completely different.

pleaseandthankyou

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 7:23 am
HappytoHS wrote:
Content-wise they are both very strong programs. There are significant differences in the way each program approaches the math conceptually and the way each program progresses through topics (mastery vs. spiral) as well as the method of instruction. These are areas where you need to get to know your child's learning style and also your own needs and availability. A benefit of both of these programs is that you can try them out relatively painlessly. MEP is free and MM can be bought and downloaded by topic so you can give it a try for very little money (like $5 or less per topic book usually) and see how you and your children take to it without investing big money.

Here are some links to a homeschooling forum where both of these programs are discussed. You can glean a lot of information this way about the strengths/drawbacks of each program from parents who have used them:

I found those by searching for "mep vs math mammoth" but if you want more info about each one just search the forum for each individual one. Warning: prepare for overwhelm Smile

Thanks for being so resourceful!

Gitch

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 11:08 am
We've been using Singapore math for several years now and really enjoying it. It builds concepts from concrete to abstract and spirals from year to year.

There are textbooks, workbooks and teacher's guides. I only get textbooks and my kids do the work in a notebook, so I can pass them down. I don't find it teacher intensive - I usually start them off at the beginning of the chapter, but then it builds up on its own and they can continue independently.

You'll find lots of info about singapore math on the well trained mind forum as well.

yaelinIN

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 11:36 am
Saxon Math (older versions - 2nd and 3rd Eds) is pretty much self-taught after 3rd grade. I like its tight spiral methodology. Spiral means that in each lesson the student goes through material presented in previous lessons (I.e., lesson 64 will contain material from lessons 2,13, 22,37,46,52,59, 62, 64, but slightly different each time). Some children need/want this constant review. Math Mammoth (mostly self-taught) and Singapore (much more parent intensive), on the other hand, are mastery based. IOW, learn the material once and you don't see it again. Some children need/want this style of learning.

nyer1

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 12:08 pm
try kumon?

granolamom

Post Mon, Oct 06 2014, 6:42 pm
nylon wrote:
A great deal of what's being trumpeted as "Common core math" is no such thing. Common Core specifies goals and skills, not methods.

What publishers did was slap CCSS on the textbooks and jig some content. The Math Wars over methods goes back to the late '90s and the same curricula that were being used--badly--are still being used. In 2007, friends with elementary school kids were screaming about the homework their kids were coming home with when their schools switched to Everyday Math and TERC Investigations and how their kids didn't understand algorithms. (In fact, districts in your area, FF, including yours, had a lot of protests over these curricula, and EDM was trashed.)

My daughter's school uses Math Expressions; my friend's daughter's uses Everyday Math. Both books have "CCSS aligned" on the cover. They are completely different.

yeah, sometimes its just a bad book. my ds is using GO MATH, its pretty bad. but we had some bad books back in the days before CC too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics