Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
The cow eats grain too!!!

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 12:47 pm
since the cow eats grain too - why is it that people only stay away from the milk and not the meat???

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 12:55 pm
Who says that people don't stay away from the meat?
Many people only eat meat from a cow that's not eaten chametz - they switch over their feed awhile before they're shected before pesach.

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 1:16 pm
really! I actually never heard that - I don't know why but it makes me feel better ... I always see keeping away from only milk...

shalhevet

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 1:31 pm
In Israel the cows don't eat chometz for about a month before Pesach.

Actually it's not because the cows eat grain, but it's because grain from around the cows might accidentally fall into the milk. That's why there's a chumra to buy all milk products before Pesach, so that if something did fall in it's batul b'shishim. Batul b'shishim applies only before Pesach, not during.

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 1:43 pm
I know - but some people will not eat anything dairy even if bought before pesach

Mitzvahmom

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 1:51 pm
you know I had this problem when I was working in hashgacha

There was some beef not labeled kosher for passover...so I said you cannot use it it's not clearly abled

NOw granted I was working for a non-lubavitch group..And I got yelled at because according to their understanding of beef. No matter what it's always kosher for pesach..

I refused to let it be used, and they threatened to fire me. Lubavitch Rabbis called and yelled, what do you expect she's lubavitch she will not lower her standards just because she works for u. B"H they did not fire me..

And they found kosher l'pesach meat!! LOL

shalhevet

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 2:23 pm
Mitzvahmom wrote:
you know I had this problem when I was working in hashgacha

There was some beef not labeled kosher for passover...so I said you cannot use it it's not clearly abled

NOw granted I was working for a non-lubavitch group..And I got yelled at because according to their understanding of beef. No matter what it's always kosher for pesach..

I refused to let it be used, and they threatened to fire me. Lubavitch Rabbis called and yelled, what do you expect she's lubavitch she will not lower her standards just because she works for u. B"H they did not fire me..

And they found kosher l'pesach meat!! LOL

There are plenty of non-Lubavitchers who will only eat meat certified KLP on Pesach. In fact, I never heard of anyone frum who doesn't check its KLP.

withhumor

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 10:14 pm
The people who do not eat meat (or fish) are the ones from European countries who were so far from the source, they never got meat on time for yom tov! Therefore, they passed it on as tradition and although today it has been rectified, we still pass it on as mesorah.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics