Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Cleaning dimond ring?

MommyEsty

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 5:44 pm
anyone know how to clean a dimond ring? there is a space under the dimond and smaller spaces under the ones at the side..
taking it to a store to get it cleaned is not a option because iwont be going to one before yomtov..

iv made challa wearing these rings and all sorts so they definitly need a good clean!

Ima'la

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 5:54 pm
someone once told me that she cleans her ring with vodka! (no, it wasn't greenfire!)

DF79

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 5:58 pm
A VERY soft toothbrush and a product called A touch of purple is what I use.

withhumor

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 6:07 pm
A very soft toothbrush, with any glass and mirror spray. For the gold part, apply toothpaste and buff dry.

Be careful not to loosen the prongs around the diamond, you don’t want to lose it!

Squash

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 7:01 pm
Ima'la wrote:
someone once told me that she cleans her ring with vodka! (no, it wasn't greenfire!)

Rolling Laughter

mr. clean (soak) - that's what I've heard of pple doing. I would be a little scared of what the ammonia in it would do to the gold.

I've also heard of toothpaste.

lotte

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 7:03 pm
Me no own no dimond or diamonds so j'o no se.solly. Crying

koolmother

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 7:34 pm
the best thing I found is a toothbrush with soap and water and dont forget too close youre sink (unless you have a strainer) when you do it , last thing you want is your ring to fall in and then you wont be able to get it.

chen

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 10:39 pm
next time, take your rings off before you make challah.

all you sweet young things who are so enchanted by your sparkly jewels that you wear them all the time--wake up and smell the Windex. Diiamonds may be the hardest substance on the planet, but they are not indestructible. A good, swift blow, against the side of the sink for instance, can chip them (how do you think they cut diamonds? Not with a diamond knife, but by tapping them in just the right way so they split.) Household chemicals can pit or permanently fog or discolor them, as can heat--like from your oven.

I'm not even touching the issue of trying to get dough and other gunk off before Pesach. If I were you I'd put my ring away and sell it with the chometz.

cindy324

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 10:53 pm
Efferdent! Yes , the denture cleaner! (As per Rachael Ray)

You have to use two tablets, drop your jewelry into a glass or a bowl along with some water. Drop in 2 tablets and leave until tablets are completely dissolved and water has turned clear. works like a charm!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 10:20 am
I have an old small plastic tub that candy came in, like from KJlein's Naturals. I put amonia in about 1/3 of it.

Every thursday night, I drop what I wore that week in it, and friday morning I rinse it, toothbrush it, and either put the jewelry away or wear it.

supermom

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 10:29 am
I let my ring soak in kalia (bleach) for about five minutes. I use a toothbrush, scrub it a bit to get the shine back and clean the prongs.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 10:43 am
An old toothbrush & toothpaste

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 11:18 am
chen wrote:
next time, take your rings off before you make challah.

all you sweet young things who are so enchanted by your sparkly jewels that you wear them all the time--wake up and smell the Windex. Diiamonds may be the hardest substance on the planet, but they are not indestructible. A good, swift blow, against the side of the sink for instance, can chip them (how do you think they cut diamonds? Not with a diamond knife, but by tapping them in just the right way so they split.) Household chemicals can pit or permanently fog or discolor them, as can heat--like from your oven.

I'm not even touching the issue of trying to get dough and other gunk off before Pesach. If I were you I'd put my ring away and sell it with the chometz.

You can run your car over your diamond and it won't chip or split. Knocking them and swift blows won't do anything to them either. I'm not sure about chemicals - but the only way to cut a diamond is with special lasers (or very sharp diamond cutter machinery like they used in the olden days). Diamonds are almost indestructable - that's why they are so expensive and that's why they are given as engagement presents - so your love should be indestructible and last forever.
What can chip and get pitted pretty easily however is the gold band surrounding the diamond.

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 11:23 am
I soak it in jewelry cleaner then clean arund the prongs with the brush that came with the cleaner.

withhumor

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 10:18 pm
Cindy, that’s right! I use Efferdent to clean my vases. I drop in a tablet and watch how the gook disappears!

poelmamosh

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 10:35 pm
Quote:
I let my ring soak in kalia (bleach) for about five minutes.

shock
be careful! two years ago, my SIL is sitting on my MIL's couch b4 the seder and her diamond is gone! (she was the 1st, so it's bigger than mine LOL ) BH we found it inside the couch. So she says she soaked her ring in BLEACH to clean it, I think it ate away at the prongs, loosening the stone... anyway I told her I've always done it with amonia (it's not corrosive like bleach) and ive heard of lots of pple who do w/o problems.
Anyway, since I cook all yr round with my rings on, I think they would have to be kashered for Pesach. I just put them away for the week.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Mar 22 2007, 11:09 pm
I agree about putting away the rings. I think that they can be cleaned with dollar store jewelry cleaner and put in the jewelry box rather than be sold with the chometz. We also have a frum jeweler in the neighborhood and sometimes I drop them off to be cleaned.

happy2beme

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 9:07 am
thx cindy for the tip! I bought efferdent yesterday & used it & I do think my jewelry looks clean!

thx withhumor, I was wondering what else I can use this efferdent for- it came with so many!

chen

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 12:27 pm
only1 wrote:

You can run your car over your diamond and it won't chip or split. Knocking them and swift blows won't do anything to them either.

where are you getting your info from? mine is from the Gemological Institute of America.

Diamonds most certainly can chip. It's not easy to do but it can be done--especially if the stone has any flaws. Check Encyclopedia Britannica under "Diamonds" for the technique of diamond cutting. Some of the cutting is done with a sawblade covered in diamond dust, but some of it is done by placing a tiny chisel-like blade against the stone and tapping it with a mallet.

Of course, if you are so sure your diamond won't chip, you are welcome to take a hammer to it to prove your point. And if you don't mind your gold setting being destroyed, go ahead and wear it to do all your heavy household chores. But then don't come and kvetch on Imamother a few years down the line when your ring looks like a shmatteh.

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 12:35 pm
chen wrote:
only1 wrote:

You can run your car over your diamond and it won't chip or split. Knocking them and swift blows won't do anything to them either.

where are you getting your info from? mine is from the Gemological Institute of America.

Diamonds most certainly can chip. It's not easy to do but it can be done--especially if the stone has any flaws. Check Encyclopedia Britannica under "Diamonds" for the technique of diamond cutting. Some of the cutting is done with a sawblade covered in diamond dust, but some of it is done by placing a tiny chisel-like blade against the stone and tapping it with a mallet.

Of course, if you are so sure your diamond won't chip, you are welcome to take a hammer to it to prove your point. And if you don't mind your gold setting being destroyed, go ahead and wear it to do all your heavy household chores. But then don't come and kvetch on Imamother a few years down the line when your ring looks like a shmatteh.

Whoa, no need to take that tone.
I am sure my diamond won't chip from regular household chores. Every diamond has flaws, but if it's a good stone then nothing a regular person can do will chip it. If it's an inexpensive stone, then maybe with force and intent then you could chip it. But I don't know anyone who will go around with a chisel and mallet trying to chip their own diamond.
As you said yourself, the way to cut a stone as indestructable as a diamond - is by using, yes you said it, ANOTHER DIAMOND. They take the sawdust from the diamond and cover the blade. Nowadays, they use lasers I think and special diamond cutters none if which can be found in the local hardware store.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics