Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Wiping in school

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 7:31 pm
What is standard operating procedure regarding kids making number 2 in school if they have a rebbe?

My son is 5 and in pre1a and has come home with dirty underwear twice now. Should I call the school?

Can I expect his rebbe to wipe him? Last year he had women teachers so it wasn't an issue

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 7:40 pm
If he isn't developmentally delayed he should be able to wipe independently at that age. I don't think any teachers are wiping in pre1a, male or female... Just work on it at home and send a pack of wipes if that's easier for him.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 8:10 pm
I practiced with my dd over yom tov, I made her wipe herself with 4 tissues then I came to check her she was clean most of the time. Now she went back to school she bh comes home clean. She's 4 yrs old and she's chubby, that makes it harder on her.

cookiejar

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 8:32 pm
No, no, no you can't expect a Rebbe to wipe him. Ditto to other posters. Teach him to do it, he should be ready.

busymom

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 8:43 pm
Completely agree with cookiejar. From a very young age a child can be taught to "wipe until you have a clean tissue." It's not that complicated. No mother can be with her child 24/7, and what happens at play dates, in school, etc.? A child who knows he can look after himself feels confident and empowered.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 11:58 pm
What about for a newly trained just turned 3 yo?
Twice this week he came home from play group scratching himself cause he wasn't wiped. Isn't that a normal thing to expect from that age play group?
I will work on teaching him to wipe but it seems kinda strange to me, no?

amother

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 1:23 am
I think a play group teacher should be helping the kids wipe after they use the bathroom. Is the teacher experienced? Sometimes a young new assistant is reluctant to help the kids. When my then almost three year old DS entered nursery I tried my best to teach him to wipe himself. He basically got the hang of it but I was surprised when he told me that his rebbe used gloves and helped he kids that were unable to do it themselves. By the end of the year though they all learned to managed on their own.

chani8

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 1:46 am
Don't expect the teachers to help. And don't fret. This skill takes time, and while you'll have to invest in extra undies until the child gets good at it, and give showers daily, eventually they get it right. Don't embarrass your child, of course, by commenting at all about the dirty underwear.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 7:02 am
I teach kindergarten and we are officially not supposed to wipe them at that age. There is a non Jewish woman who is in charge of l the diapers for the 2 year olds and we call her if someone needs help wiping.

Frumdoc

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 7:47 am
amother wrote:
I teach kindergarten and we are officially not supposed to wipe them at that age. There is a non Jewish woman who is in charge of l the diapers for the 2 year olds and we call her if someone needs help wiping.

Why is it better that a non jewish stranger wipes them than their morah or rebbe, who I presume they know and trust a little? I honestly can't understand this.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 8:24 am
amother wrote:
What is standard operating procedure regarding kids making number 2 in school if they have a rebbe?

My son is 5 and in pre1a and has come home with dirty underwear twice now. Should I call the school?

Can I expect his rebbe to wipe him? Last year he had women teachers so it wasn't an issue
why is any difference between a man and women teaching? I believe its the age of the gan that they decide if they will wipe or not. my daughter had only female teachers last year at age 5 gan and they never wiped them.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 8:25 am
Frumdoc wrote:
Why is it better that a non jewish stranger wipes them than their morah or rebbe, who I presume they know and trust a little? I honestly can't understand this.

Some morot won't do it if avoidable.

asp40

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 8:32 am
I believe that in order to wipe a child or change diapers legally, you need to be a licensed daycare. I work as a school nurse I will not wipe children, nor will I see any part fo them naked, unless a teacher is with me. I do not need any issues.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 12:42 pm
amother wrote:
I think a play group teacher should be helping the kids wipe after they use the bathroom. Is the teacher experienced? Sometimes a young new assistant is reluctant to help the kids. When my then almost three year old DS entered nursery I tried my best to teach him to wipe himself. He basically got the hang of it but I was surprised when he told me that his rebbe used gloves and helped he kids that were unable to do it themselves. By the end of the year though they all learned to managed on their own.

the teacher is very experienced. as in a bubby multiple times and been doing this for years. its not a legal playgroup- its in her basement. and there are other kids in the group in diapers which she does change. Im just pretty surprised and wondering if I should say something to her about it. (and I know other people that sent there in previous years who did not have this issue... and im talking about with kids aged 2-3 that were trained DURING the school year)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers