Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
4.5 yr old DS suddenly chewing on everything!

princessleah

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:09 pm
My DS who is 4.5 years old is suddenly chewing on things a lot. He already had this habit of when we're reading books before bed, he would stick a finger in his mouth and chew/stuck on it. But lately he's been chewing on the corner of the blanket, during the day he always has the top corner of his jacket on his mouth.

I did look in his mouth tonight and in the back on the bottom there is a little bulge. But I thought there were no molars at this age!! Anyone with similar experience or have any idea what is going on?? TIA!

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 11:19 pm
I feel like this comes up very often here Smile IME, it is very common for 3-5 year olds to start a habit of mouthing or chewing on objects, seemingly out of the blue. I suspect that it's related to whatever else is developing concurrently, meaning psycho-emotionally, but that's just my guess. Either way, know that it's fairly typical. If it bothers you, you can try to come up with more appropriate alternatives like chewing gum, crunching on ice chips, or big hard pretzels.

pumpernickle

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 7:43 am
Is he growing any teeth? It may also be a sensory seeking action. You may want try giving him sensory stimulating activities. Also, give him to drink with a straw. He can bite and feel the cold seeping through as he drinks which may satisfy this chewing urge. Good luck!

princessleah

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 9:59 am
I'll try the straw, that's a good idea. I'm not sure if there's a tooth coming in, because I did see this white bump but I'm not certain. I asked him if it hurt and he said no.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers